RacingComputers
RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/30/23 1:21 p.m.

Looking for input on what tires for a 2005 Mustang GT, Full Steeda  Suspension Package,  Double adjustable Konis, Baer  Brakes and pads.

5 Speed T-56, Upgraded Clutch, 3.73 Gear Set on a Torsten Differential, Moser Axles.

18" Rims (TBD)

No Power Adders

Intermediate Level Driver that has been out of the driver's seat way too long.

Tires will be swapped out at track, looking to run 4 Track Night Events in 23   (2 Charlotte -- 2 Kershaw SC)

Have read the Tire Comparison Article, twice

All input welcomed

VegasNick
VegasNick GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/30/23 2:07 p.m.

I run a 74 charger NASCAR replica and forever I ran BFG G-Force Comp-2's on it. (245 50/16) They are BEASTS! You have to get them warm but they work well. I just swutch to Nitto NT555 and hopefully will be at Charlotte with you guys to compare. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
4/30/23 3:41 p.m.

Why are you looking at dedicated track tires? What's your current street tires? 

NT01s are the best bang for the buck dedicated tire for noncompetitive HPDE but there are plenty of alternatives that pick up some speed eith a trade off of lower longevity/consistency.

RacingComputers
4/30/23 5:28 p.m.

The right tool for the job

Street tires are just that. comprised street tires.

Looking to optimize the current chassis/shock setup.

Appreciate the input.

Drive Safe

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/30/23 5:40 p.m.

Honestly for what 12 sessions a year, get what ever you would want to run on the streets. You'll age them out before you wear them out even in a heavy car like that. And I say heavy because my cars are 2030 and 2410 LB each. 

I've run RE71s for the last few years. Predictable, no bad habits, fine on the street. This year will be  Yokohama AD8Rs because they where available cheap on closeout. I wouldn't over think it. 

RacingComputers
5/1/23 2:00 p.m.

Appreciate the input

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/23 2:42 p.m.

For that little use you don't have to worry about longevity. Usually when people are swapping tires at the track, they're swapping to R-compound slicks. Those aren't good tires to learn on though. If you must swap tires at the track, you should go with the stickiest 200TW that will stand up to repeated laps (a lot of the stickier 200TWs don't like a lot of heat), maybe Falken RT660s. I think swapping tires is huge overkill for what you're doing though, there are tires you could run in the summer on the street that will do fine at the track and last for years with that level of use. What are your current street tires and what kind of use does the car see on the street?

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/1/23 4:52 p.m.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3. These were designed for the new 1LE and ZL1 Camaros. They should hold up to 3-4 track days a year and they are decent on the street.

RacingComputers
5/2/23 3:35 p.m.

Appreciate the input and updates

Car gets weekend workout looking for other street driven variants taking part in impromptu encounters.

The srickiest 200s sounds like a good plan

We may have been overthinking the whole thing.

Thanks

GameboyRMH
5/2/23 3:53 p.m.

For weekend use + autocross + track days I just ordered myself a set of Continental ECFs, they're not much less sticky than the faster-wearing 200TWs and should last years in that use.

RacingComputers
5/3/23 2:55 p.m.

Thanks for the idea

RacingComputers
5/6/23 1:21 p.m.

Jury is still out on the way we are going to go for Track Night tires

Appreciae all the input

DocRob
DocRob Reader
5/6/23 7:58 p.m.

In my opinion you want something in the 300'ish treadwear rating. The Conti EC Sports or ECDW or Michelin Pilot Sport 4/5.

You could buy 4 DOT legal 100tw tires. They'll be dead after 2-3 events. And you'll not want to drive them in the rain.

A set of 200tw tires may not last any longer, given that most don't like a ton of heat. They also aren't something you usually want to drive in the rain.

So in terms of a tire that will give you consistent laps time and time again and not be terrifying 300tw tires are the best compromise. 

RacingComputers
5/13/23 4:59 p.m.

Thanks for the update

RacingComputers
5/14/23 1:41 p.m.

Where does  the Group suggest to start with tire pressures for Charlotte?

Thanks

GameboyRMH
5/14/23 2:23 p.m.

Would need to know the tire size and model to come up with a half-decent guess.

Generally if you don't know what pressures to run it's best to start with pressures that are clearly too high, and then lower them until tread usage & temps are optimized.

RacingComputers
5/16/23 10:43 a.m.

Nitto 555G2  245/45/18

Current Street Tires

Going to use these for the first event at Charlotte

Thanks

GameboyRMH
5/16/23 11:03 a.m.
RacingComputers said:

Nitto 555G2  245/45/18

Current Street Tires

Going to use these for the first event at Charlotte

Thanks

For that setup I'd guess something around 30psi cold or slightly above, up to at most mid-30s hot pressures would be ideal, maybe start at 35 cold for safety and expect to reduce pressures from there.

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
5/16/23 11:11 a.m.

In reply to RacingComputers :

I looked back at my notes from Mid-Ohio and I was running 34 psi hot (started at 30 psi cold and had to bleed down a bit to end up at 34 psi hot after session 2).

RacingComputers
5/16/23 11:18 a.m.

Appreciate the update.

Thanks

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E6IHn9FJXicPqatnfKE6XeJSOnda4GrY8A5gV7JCoaHSHIAJyrgQvT7p0BSP2Ecv