1 2
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/18/21 12:39 p.m.

That's fine. Find a tire company more invested in amateur racing and motorsports then let me know. 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/18/21 12:48 p.m.

as Keith eluded to, their website does not allow you to do the search you want on purpose.

TR is trying to prevent people from abusing their return policy to do test fitting.

It costs money to accept and process returns on top of the issues that can come from damage in shipping and while in the hands of the customer.

TR is protecting themselves.

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
1/18/21 1:22 p.m.
frenchyd said:

We aren't pitching a fit.

You might not be...The OP most certainly is though. Melodrama personified.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/18/21 2:22 p.m.

That's kind of the point.  If they are so vested in amateur racing and the car hobby, then they should have a way for people that understand bolt patterns, offsets etc, to use their website efficiently.  I'm not exactly fond of having to field phone calls to tell them I know what I'm ordering and how it will fit.  According to their website they have almost nothing for my newly acquired 4th gen Camaro, but I can order a slew of wheels that fit fir Corvettes.  

Excusing poor functionality is about as useful as said poor functionality of their website.

TR is great, but they have lost orders from myself and others for this lack of functionality.  That's a poor business decision no matter how you look at it.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/18/21 2:37 p.m.

Their search annoys me, but I get it.  They also have pretty decent prices and fantastic customer service, and are very supportive of amateur racing events.  They have never lost an order from me over a website issue.  Additionally, they have much more tire information that is much easier to find compared with Discount Tire Direct.

FWIW, when searching for wheels, very rarely is there an overlap of wheels between TR and other sites I search.  

I am very disappointed that the TRM brand seems to have scaled way back.  They used to have a lot more options.

Just like GRM, the website isn't the best, but I still use it because the content is good.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/21 2:45 p.m.

TR is probably less worried about losing orders to the small number of total wheel nerds than they about losing orders to the mass market. There are a lot more of them than there are of us. And they do really check to see what will and won't fit - they do scans of the wheel wells and the calipers and the suspension so they can check in CAD. We can send them a template of brake caliper clearance and they'll confirm if it will fit or not. But yeah, we have to talk to them.

If you're that hard core a wheel nerd and you know better and you can search on alternate applications, then you search on other applications like Corvettes instead of 4th gen F bodies. I do that sort of stuff all the time. But be aware that there's probably a reason they don't list that wheel for a 4th gen F body.

The TRM brand is dependent on outside factories, so they will be limited as to what their suppliers can supply. Kazera used to be a house brand as well IIRC, and it disappeared when the factory shut down.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/18/21 2:50 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I know IF I get the Tib sold and a Rio purchased the TRM 15x7.5 is going into my cart fast enough to make "Brad's" head spin.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/18/21 3:09 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to Toyman01 (Moderately Supportive Dude) :

but they're good people to deal with. And one (if not the only) family owned businesses (unless that's changed in the last year or 2). 

Some years ago, I attended a convention for owners of e28 5 series BMWs that was held at the Tire Rack HQ in South Bend.  They really laid out the red carpet for us, with all kinds of door prizes, food, use of meeting rooms, an autocross on their test track, a tour of the facilities (I never saw so many tires in one spot in my life) and on and on.  They sure won me over, and ever since then they've been my go-to place for tires.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/18/21 3:38 p.m.
bobzilla said:

I know IF I get the Tib sold and a Rio purchased the TRM 15x7.5 is going into my cart fast enough to make "Brad's" head spin.

the 15x9 C3Ms are on closeout for the same price as the 15x7.5s

Just sayin' 

Vajingo
Vajingo Reader
1/18/21 3:39 p.m.
Driven5 said:
frenchyd said:

We aren't pitching a fit.

You might not be...The OP most certainly is though. Melodrama personified.

You ain't seen drama son. 

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/18/21 3:42 p.m.
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) said:

Agree that the website is frustrating, but I understand why they do it in the context of all of the different cars I see running around with ill-fitting aftermarket wheels.

Call them up on the old telephone.  They were very helpful and I had no issue getting exactly what I wanted quoted.

Millenials and Gen Z hate this one trick to get what they want:

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/18/21 3:51 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
bobzilla said:

the 15x9 C3Ms are on closeout for the same price as the 15x7.5s

Just sayin' 

I know and I won't say I didn't think aboutit.

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/18/21 7:08 p.m.

Agree that the website is frustrating, but I understand why they do it in the context of all of the different cars I see running around with ill-fitting aftermarket wheels.

Call them up on the old telephone.  They were very helpful and I had no issue getting exactly what I wanted quoted.

Millenials and Gen Z hate this one trick to get what they want:

This guy - He is absolutely right. 

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
1/18/21 7:28 p.m.

Eh, I'll continue to support TireRack because they continue to support the community. I'll even go out on a limb here and say that I appreciate that they present options in a guaranteed fitment format because there's no end to websites that force you to sift through all the fitment numbers on your own and still can't say whether or not they'll clear a specific car's wide fixed brake calipers.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dInP2rnRxCHz9sAoXcjnF4OwUeErAnQFGW7FLgtUIqQx77Vb8HztUP356swMdY3o