z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/1/18 4:33 p.m.

I have an old one that has seen me through thick and thin, E30 engine swap, multiple Miata swaps and track car building.............however, the box is BUSTED. As far as I can tell, you can't buy the replacement plastic boxes.

Since I don't have a need for a ton of tools, nor do I want to buy a big rolling box ($$$ and space) and cut out foam to keep everything organized, I'm thinking of just ponying up and buying a new set. This last one lasted me for 10 years, so a couple hundred for another 10 sounds OK with me. I'd keep certain spares and extras, and maybe just donate what I don't keep of the old set? 

I was just going to buy one of the Lowe's sets when I go later this evening to get some other stuff, but I've noticed Sears has SERIOUSLY marked down the sets like this. Yeah, I know they are likely to fold soon, but I've broken exactly one socket (or any other tool) in the last 10 years and that was some grease monkey that hit a lug bolt with the air wrench. 

I know this isn't Snap-On stuff buy I don't need that level of quality, thoughts on Craftsman vs Kobalt for this type of thing?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/1/18 4:38 p.m.

You will be surprised to find Lowes is now full of Craftsman Branded tools.  

https://www.lowes.com/b/craftsman.html 

I have no idea if Lowes will warranty your old Craftsman tools?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/1/18 4:53 p.m.

The bulk of my hand tools are still Craftsman stuff I bought in the 90s, but IMO their quality really started to go downhill about 10-15 years ago.

Honestly, I'd just go with Harbor Freight if you have one nearby. Their hand tools are as good as anyone's these days, and they have the same lifetime warranty as everyone else.

Cactus
Cactus Reader
6/1/18 5:06 p.m.

Throw the tools in a Rubbermaid tub. That's what I do. Get some socket rails and keep using your old stuff.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/18 5:07 p.m.

All of my socket sets are Kobalt and have been for a long time. Their durability is spot on, even with regular impact usage.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/1/18 5:16 p.m.
Cactus said:

Throw the tools in a Rubbermaid tub. That's what I do. Get some socket rails and keep using your old stuff.

Nope. That's far too disorganized and not a nice tidy package to go to the track with. If I was OK with that option, I wouldn't have started this thread. wink

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/1/18 5:18 p.m.
John Welsh said:

You will be surprised to find Lowes is now full of Craftsman Branded tools.  

https://www.lowes.com/b/craftsman.html 

I have no idea if Lowes will warranty your old Craftsman tools?

Looks like they don't have any box sets like I'm looking at. I also want to keep this mobile to throw in the truck for AutoX/HPDE, so then having to buy a big metal box with foam, etc. 

Looking for a do it all type setup vs the best at one particular thing (number of tools, price, etc)

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/1/18 5:18 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

All of my socket sets are Kobalt and have been for a long time. Their durability is spot on, even with regular impact usage.

Good to know, thank you sir!

(I wish we had multiple comment!)

Cactus
Cactus Reader
6/1/18 5:23 p.m.
z31maniac said:
Cactus said:

Nope. That's far too disorganized and not a nice tidy package to go to the track with. If I was OK with that option, I wouldn't have started this thread. wink

That's what I go to the track with. Granted I keep a socket set in the blow molded case inside said Rubbermaid tub, but I mix and match the rest of the contents depending on which car I'm driving. To each their own...

I'll take all your old tools.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/1/18 5:27 p.m.
Cactus said:
z31maniac said:
Cactus said:

That's what I go to the track with. Granted I keep a socket set in the blow molded case inside said Rubbermaid tub, but I mix and match the rest of the contents depending on which car I'm driving. To each their own...

I'll take all your old tools.

I'm kind of an organization nut like that. Stuff like that drives me crazy. 

I'm not sure it would be worth paying me to pack them up and ship them to where you are at. 

A new Craftsman 470 pc Mechanic Set with box and shipping is $199 from Sears.com right now.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
6/2/18 8:28 a.m.

Look around on Ebay, you may be able to just buy the box. If its Cman, it should have  a part number.  

Otherwise pretty much agree with the sentiment to get whatever meets your price and your budget.  Unless you are buying Snap On or one of the industiral brands like Proto or SK, its all basically the same chinese crap.  Craftsman from the 90s is not the same as Craftsman today.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/2/18 8:48 a.m.

The bulk of my hand tools were from a Craftsman kit I got in my teens. They've held up well for the most part, broken a couple sockets along the way and my 3/8" ratchet is now in need of rebuild or replacement, but are noticeably lower quality than the stuff my dad has from several decades prior. I've got some Kobalt stuff too and it's at least as good as the Craftsman stuff.

FWIW, Lowes had some killer deals on tool boxes of all shapes and sizes when I was in buying an air conditioner the other evening. For a split second I considered impulse buying a purdy lookin' rolling chest, but that doesn't make my car go faster cheeky

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/2/18 8:50 a.m.

Craftsman new stuff sucks.  I haven't had one of the socket wrenches last more than 6 months.

Kobalt is awesome.  I broke 1 socket wrench...  using a jack handle for leverage.

However, HF now has the kobalt socket wrenches for cheap!

Also, I believe kobalt is changing all their hand tools...

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/2/18 8:51 a.m.

Oh, and do yourself a favor and buy a set of ratcheting wrenches to go with your new kit if it doesn't already include them.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/2/18 9:23 a.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

The bulk of my hand tools are still Craftsman stuff I bought in the 90s, but IMO their quality really started to go downhill about 10-15 years ago.

Honestly, I'd just go with Harbor Freight if you have one nearby. Their hand tools are as good as anyone's these days, and they have the same lifetime warranty as everyone else.

I'm going to second this. The 225 piece set has been great so far. By far the best case I've ever had, plus slimline and ready to carry around. Only problem I've had is with the half inch ratchet because I let it sit out all winter, no problems getting a replacement though, and usually there's a coupon to get it for $100

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia New Reader
6/2/18 9:49 a.m.

I just get old Craftsman tools at yard sales and double/triple up on the metric ones I would use and lose the most.

I have never found a 16mm or 18mm  on European cars , but I load up on 10mm ,13 mm ,15mm

But being able to return them is a nice plus , I hope Lowes  keeps the full line in stock and will replace them with no questions....

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/18 10:02 a.m.

not exactly the same as what your tools came in...

but still Sears

Dashpot
Dashpot Reader
6/2/18 12:36 p.m.

I have one of those molded plastic case Craftsman sets from ~1990. Replaced the ratchets, but otherwise the set's been durable.

I've been living with duct/Gorilla/Racer Tape "hinges" & "latches" for about 20 yrs now.  Might want to consider the cheap way out?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/18 12:39 p.m.
Dashpot said:

I have one of those molded plastic case Craftsman sets from ~1990. Replaced the ratchets, but otherwise the set's been durable.

I've been living with duct/Gorilla/Racer Tape "hinges" & "latches" for about 20 yrs now.  Might want to consider the cheap way out?

I would consider making a wooden hinged box and putting both halves of the original plastic box into it. A nice coat of varnish or paint, a piano hinge, and maybe even a locking hasp or two, and you have a toolbox that looks good, works good, and is cheap

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/2/18 12:42 p.m.
RevRico said:
Tom_Spangler said:

I'm going to second this. The 225 piece set has been great so far. By far the best case I've ever had, plus slimline and ready to carry around. Only problem I've had is with the half inch ratchet because I let it sit out all winter, no problems getting a replacement though, and usually there's a coupon to get it for $100

Im thirding, or whatever, this. I have the same kit, and i have a couple of new small craftsmans kits. The craftsmans kit are pretty much garbage compared to the harbor freight kit

cdowd
cdowd Dork
6/8/18 8:42 a.m.

kobalt set on sale

1/2 off now 99.99

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/8/18 8:57 a.m.

I've had great luck with Kobalt stuff. I have some ratcheting wrenches, a regular socket set, a pass-through socket set (I love this one!) and more. All have been durable and have been put through the wringer. I also have a lot of 80's/90's Craftsman stuff and it's great too; I grew up with that era of Craftsman, and they were great back then. The newer Craftsman stuff I've bought is not up to par with even the HF stuff. Selling out to Stanley Black & Decker might have actually done them a favor!

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
6/8/18 1:21 p.m.

Unless your keeping your old ratchets I would avoid craftsmen all together. I replaced some of my stuff with harbor freight sockets and a 1/4 inch drive ratchet and I've been happier with it then anything craftsmen I've purchased in the last 10 years.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/8/18 3:16 p.m.

An autocrosser who was a Home Depot manager told me years ago that, not only are their Husky hand tools guaranteed for life, but Home Depot will give you a replacement Husky tool for your broken Craftsman, Kobalt or other brand tool.  As far as I know that is still their policy.  First place I ever found that will put a new tool in your hand to replace some OTHER brand broken tool.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fpTNguJQ44xCP9QcCs0ep3pNIFvHyYwzELZbmfgMstyYOExLzNFDsCIuemrBurKS