AutoXR
AutoXR HalfDork
2/14/23 2:19 p.m.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Zetec for my 71 Datsun 1200 but unable to accurately determine which one to get.  I don't want variable valve timing and want to keep it as simple as possible.  Thereis lots of info online from the UK, but I'm in canada so I'm not sure how well it applies. 

Yes a duratec is lighter, yes an ecotec is more powerful and a SR20De is still nissan.. but a Zetec, cheap, plentiful and has a massive rwd market. 

Thanks. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
2/14/23 3:16 p.m.

Sad Update: Zetec-Powered 1967 Datsun Roadster Carbed and turbo'd seems interesting 

ralleah
ralleah GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/14/23 3:56 p.m.

Why not a 2.3 dtec? No vvt, and choice of Branger/NC Miata transmissions. Or a 2.5 with the better head and super simple vvt delete. Not like you're running a stock ecu anyway, right?

AutoXR
AutoXR HalfDork
2/14/23 4:01 p.m.

In reply to ralleah :

Was planning on bike carbs,  wasn't sure as to the size of the Dtec.  The zetec is 4" shorter than an L16 and very dissimilar in length to the original A series.  I looked briefly and my local wreckers has numerous Dtecs with low miles for under $500. 

ralleah
ralleah GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/14/23 4:13 p.m.

I can't speak to the size relative to a zetec, but I believe it's similar. You could look at pics of focii with both for an idea, they got some of the early 2.3 dtec for ca/ny/ma etc..

The itb options are there, look across the pond. I went with a jenvey direct to head set for my 2.5 build.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/23 5:45 p.m.

The stout common ones were the variable exhaust cam version in the ZX2.  The variable cam was, IIRC, strictly so they could get away with not having an EGR valve, so it can be locked out by whatever means you feel appropriate.

I do like Zetecs, as they are rather small and reasonably tough.  But have seen sooo many Contours die from the idler pulley coming apart.  Somehow I remember the ZX2 engine having a completely different belt routing.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/23 8:07 p.m.

In reply to AutoXR :

It's been a few years since I picked up one I was planning to swap into a Europa, but what I remember was in the US at that time there were only 2-versions of Zetec - the one in the Focus SVT & everything else. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
POh0M7HPlMOavVQxWJF1KcBRzSBJiErLIZN6h115I5jAAafeMoUWA7gemPJN9SGb