rustysteel
rustysteel New Reader
9/1/13 10:43 p.m.

Someone I know is selling a sweet 2004 BMW 320i that's been modified (3L engine) with full suspension, Turner coilovers, limited slip diff etc...the list goes on. I'm still waiting for more info on the car but I'm really tempted to trade/sell my '88 LX 5.0L that I've only had for 5 months. I'm a supply teacher (Educational Assistant) and it looks like I'm back to supply work this year so I need a vehicle that I can drive all year, including winter. I've seen plenty of the BMW's on the autocross track and they handle really well. Set of BFG Rivals and I'd be ready for next year's season. I'd love to keep the Mustang and get the BMW but I don't have the room or money to have 3 cars, we have the Forester as the family wagon. Just asking for opinions as there is a vast knowledge on the board and I love to hear the responses, good or bad. Nothing may come of this but...you never know.

thanks in advance.

Glenn

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/1/13 10:49 p.m.

Wow, as the owner of one of each, a stock E46 330xi and a wild Fox, the BMW is so much better in so many ways.

The Fox is fun, but the BMW is nicer, more comfortable, better brakes, chassis and suspension, stronger, safer, etc.

jdbuilder
jdbuilder New Reader
9/1/13 11:03 p.m.

The only positive of the fox body is cheap collectors car insurance. Other than that its seriously a no brainer, bmw all the way.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
9/2/13 12:04 a.m.

Having ridden in both, BMW for sure, but as long as its not automatic. The one I rode in was a 2005 with only 108k on it, and the trans was already shifting weird

rustysteel
rustysteel New Reader
9/2/13 9:06 a.m.

I like the fox it is fun but crude and not winter friendly. If I can get a test drive of the BMW I will need to make a decision. Thanks for the input so far.

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
9/2/13 2:52 p.m.

I vote BMW as well. How are they in the snow btw?

-Hamid

rustysteel
rustysteel New Reader
9/2/13 5:31 p.m.
AverageH wrote: I vote BMW as well. How are they in the snow btw? -Hamid

Thanks, that is a good question, I will try to find out. Anyone who has one could you let me know, being in Canada means plenty of snow. I put snows on all my cars for the winter so with that and traction control I'm sure they are pretty good. Mustang, not so much.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/2/13 6:45 p.m.

Ours is a 330xi, so its difficult to say what RWD is like, but the 330 AWD is AWESOME.

Our 19 yo college student son drives it and it keeps him safe

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
9/2/13 7:42 p.m.

Our 325i wagon (RWD) was fantastic in snow with merely average snow tires.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/2/13 8:56 p.m.

BMWs come from the factory with close to 50/50 weight distribution. Fox body Mustangs, on the other hand, have a far less desirable weight distribution, especially when it comes to winter driving.

Even without the AWD, the RWD BMW will be better in the snow than the Fox Body.

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
9/2/13 10:45 p.m.

While I can't think of a worst car for winter driving than a fox-body, I would suggest caution about the car you are looking at.

Since you are in Ontario, the problem is the coilovers. My experience with coilovers (even good quality ones) are that they make winter DD driving a pain. The Turner coilovers seem to have some pretty stiff springs. That plus very cold weather, and the shorter travel tends to blow out shock and struts pretty easily. Even good quality ones. Plus the threaded collars tend to always freeze up from the road salt and crap that gets stuck in there during winter. Plus the lowered ride makes it a lot easier to get stuck.

I'd get a stock E46 with a sport suspension and drive that. Just my 0.02CAD

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/2/13 11:44 p.m.

I drove an E36 M3 in the snow with H&R race springs, beefy bars and proper snow tires for a couple years. It has the same balance (E46 is a little heavier though) as the car you are looking at. It was very predictable and easy to make due with. My car was low so deep snow expeditions weren't happening but 5" of fresh power wasn't keeping me home from work.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
9/3/13 9:07 a.m.

My 2003 325i is great in the snow on some ancient Alpins I keep in the garage during the rest of the year. On the worn-out OEM Contis, it was terrible - like, let the clutch out at idle and it just slowly spins the rears terrible. I bought a used set of snows on some spare wheels and it is just dandy now.

I think you will like the car a lot better than the old Fox, as long as you trust the quality of the engine swap. I can't really speak to coilovers and Canadian winters, but I would think that if you adjusted them up for winter and down for spring they might stay mobile.

redhookfern
redhookfern Reader
9/3/13 9:34 a.m.

Just picked up my third E46 this past weekend, an '03 325xi with the sport package. I love it. I missed driving one. I also had a 325ci and another 325xi a few years ago. The xi's are tanks in the snow with good tires, and the RWD wasn't too bad with good tread snow tires. Even with 80k miles it feels tighter and more solid than brand new cars I've driven.

rustysteel
rustysteel New Reader
9/3/13 4:38 p.m.

I was just talking to my wife about my plan to sell the Mustang and she says no way. Turns out she really likes driving it and I know I do. If I can get a great price on this E46 I'll do it but otherwise I'll be looking for a cheap winter beater.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
9/3/13 5:31 p.m.

Awesome, the best answer was always get the BMW and keep the Mustang

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
58cUaLuRr4YYgwmIk2mrpWyJ3pfUFpnY5tFKJSZm20HMBbOSuqbCY6nx93daTCWE