1 2
sporqster
sporqster Reader
11/2/12 1:17 p.m.

So PBeeMax just ordered the serial to blue tooth thingy, plugged it into the Lamb-o, loaded this to his android phone:

http://tunerstudio.com/index.php/shadowdashmsmenu?fb_action_ids=440194726017592&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

And it JUST BERKING WORKS. No configure this ini file, check this box, make sure that's enabled, blah blah blah, I mean it just works.

Color me impressed. Kudos EFI Analytics.
That is all.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Reader
11/2/12 1:33 p.m.

that is flipping awesome! I was waiting for someone to just dock a phone or ipad or something in their car as a dashboard.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/2/12 1:37 p.m.
xflowgolf wrote: that is flipping awesome! I was waiting for someone to just dock a phone or ipad or something in their car as a dashboard.

ShadowDash MS monitors not only the MS data, but monitors on the GPS and Accelerometers in the Android device.

Also, the API for the regular TunerStudio is available to allow writing of add-ins that could extend TunerStudio further. I suspect the ShadowDash solution will follow a similar path at some point.

Bottom line? It is possible now with some work. Shortly it will be as easy as plugging the device into the car.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
11/2/12 2:27 p.m.

I could see a 3g capable android tablet becoming your Dash and entertainment, GPS, etc all in one...a lot of applications for this, very exciting!

buuuut....if its that easy, why does Navi stuff and touchscreen whozamawhatzits cost an arm and a leg in new cars, and their touted around as the reinvention of Jesus in the advertising..."zomfg, Ford has a new bluetouch navidroid in-dash tape deck thats better than GMs starOn vehicle JackLo Serious exem Sat phone...I cant wait to be in a commercial about it...such a deal, at only eleventeen gajillion dollars a month!!!"

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UltraDork
11/2/12 3:09 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: buuuut....if its that easy, why does Navi stuff and touchscreen whozamawhatzits cost an arm and a leg in new cars, and their touted around as the reinvention of Jesus in the advertising..."zomfg, Ford has a new bluetouch navidroid in-dash tape deck thats better than GMs starOn vehicle JackLo Serious exem Sat phone...I cant wait to be in a commercial about it...such a deal, at only eleventeen gajillion dollars a month!!!"

profit!

donalson
donalson PowerDork
11/2/12 3:48 p.m.

I was looking at that the other day, installed the app on my phone... don't have the bluetooth dongle thing but once the truck is actualy moving under it's own power i'll be an addition.

amazing how far tuning cars has come in the last 10 years... and a big part has been megasquirt...

eastsidemav
eastsidemav HalfDork
11/2/12 4:29 p.m.

I'd like to see the phone being used as the key to the car. That'd be a neat security feature.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/2/12 7:00 p.m.
sporqster wrote: Color me impressed. Kudos EFI Analytics. That is all.

Great. Now can they work on making their datalog viewer work with Windows 7?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/2/12 7:03 p.m.

In reply to Knurled:

Works fine on mine?

I want to connect my phone with a USB cable so I don't have to buy an expensive bluetooth thing.

Knurled
11/2/12 7:05 p.m.
eastsidemav wrote: I'd like to see the phone being used as the key to the car. That'd be a neat security feature.

I like the idea of a simple USB drive that has a keycode on it. Maybe even a simple filename that it looks for, like password.dat, with a 16-character ASCII password.

Phones get lost, phones get broken, phones get remotely bricked, phones get apps wrecked during an update. USB drives are cheap and available anywhere, and if you know your password, you can make a new one. Car cannot be stolen (well, can't be driven off) because no amount of lock cylinder breaking or wire crossing will trick the computer into letting the engine run... even if the thief knew what they were doing.

And then there's the idea that you could keep a tune on the USB drive, and switch back and forth depending on what "key" you have. Kind of like the Track Key option on the new Mustang.

Knurled
11/2/12 7:09 p.m.
EvanB wrote: In reply to Knurled: Works fine on mine?

When Lappy 486 died, I borrowed a friend's Win7-equipped laptop to tune with. MegaLogViewer could not, would not be able to see any .log files. I'd have to open the directory in Windows Explorer and do a bunch of manual work, when it SHOULD be all automatic like it works with XP. We tried a lot of screwing around with compatibilities and running as administrator and such and nothing worked.

Makes me laugh when the shareware "give us money plz" screen pops up. Sorry, I don't buy broken software.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/2/12 7:10 p.m.

Actually looks like the price on the bluetooth adapter has gone down since I looked at it last. It actually might be worth it for me to have a tach in my car.

turboswede
11/2/12 9:15 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
EvanB wrote: In reply to Knurled: Works fine on mine?
When Lappy 486 died, I borrowed a friend's Win7-equipped laptop to tune with. MegaLogViewer could not, would not be able to see any .log files. I'd have to open the directory in Windows Explorer and do a bunch of manual work, when it SHOULD be all automatic like it works with XP. We tried a lot of screwing around with compatibilities and running as administrator and such and nothing worked. Makes me laugh when the shareware "give us money plz" screen pops up. Sorry, I don't buy broken software.

I suspect the fact that you didn't buy their software might have impacted it? Not sure, I've only ever had the registered version and it has worked for me on Windows 7.

The software isn't broken.

What version of Win7 is it? 32 or 64-bit? What version of Java is installed? Where are the log files located?

I've got both it and TunerStudio running on my Windows 7 laptop (Ultimate, 32-bit) that I used to get my car running and so far tuned with. I've not had any problems opening the log files or the projects. Make sure the files you're trying to open are not in the Program Files directory as Windows 7 does not allow rights to that area by default. Place them in your own user\documents directory.

Also, Phil and the MSExtra forum are very good at helping out if you haven't asked there yet.

turboswede
11/2/12 9:18 p.m.
EvanB wrote: In reply to Knurled: Works fine on mine? I want to connect my phone with a USB cable so I don't have to buy an expensive bluetooth thing.

With a USB host adapter and a Serial to USB adapter it should be possible. Provided your phone/tablet has a full USB host onboard.

Knurled
11/2/12 9:49 p.m.
turboswede wrote: I suspect the fact that you didn't buy their software might have impacted it?

Why bother even having a trial version, then?

What version of Win7 is it? 32 or 64-bit? What version of Java is installed? Where are the log files located?

To be honest, I have no idea on any of this, since it was a year or two ago. I do remember that everything was whatever the then-current version was, and log files were sent to wherever the program defaults were.

Also, Phil and the MSExtra forum are very good at helping out if you haven't asked there yet.

My experience with getting help from anybody online is that I'm an horrible, horrible person for not using the latest hardware and latest firmware.

I'm using a 1.01 board, and B&G basic code. I tune with MegaTune, which is (IMO) much more user-friendly and doesn't crash constantly. It works extremely well, gives me no problems, and I've got probably 60k on the setup so far.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/2/12 9:58 p.m.

Who's gonna be the first to drive off the road while tuning on the fly?

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
11/2/12 11:05 p.m.

this is truly the golden age.. you can get similar programs to use in OBD2 cars- but i think they are merely for displaying operating parameters with some datalogging capabilities and clearing codes.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
11/3/12 11:27 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
eastsidemav wrote: I'd like to see the phone being used as the key to the car. That'd be a neat security feature.
And then there's the idea that you could keep a tune on the USB drive, and switch back and forth depending on what "key" you have. Kind of like the Track Key option on the new Mustang.

That is actually a great idea. When the boy starts driving, you give him a key that limits revs to 4k. Hard(er) to get in trouble that way.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
11/3/12 2:09 p.m.

Its even cooler in "hud" mode. Try it if you havent yet.

Nashco
Nashco UltraDork
11/3/12 2:25 p.m.

Cool. I'm in for the iPhone/iPad version when it comes out!

Bryce

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
11/3/12 5:28 p.m.

I'm too cheap to buy the adapter so I've been looking into making one of those $5-7 ebay bluetooth adapters work.

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=122&t=43883

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
11/5/12 7:39 a.m.
Knurled wrote: I'm using a 1.01 board, and B&G basic code. I tune with MegaTune, which is (IMO) much more user-friendly and doesn't crash constantly. It works extremely well, gives me no problems, and I've got probably 60k on the setup so far.

I am pretty sure it's not a matter of MegaLogViewer being unregistered; my first thought is that it may be an issue with the way MegaTune defaults to saving data logs in Program Files. Windows 7 doesn't let MegaTune write files there, but won't give an error - it lets MegaTune pretend to write to that folder, and the file doesn't happen. Where are you saving the data logs to?

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
11/5/12 7:56 a.m.

Ps: Megatune? Make sure you are running the latest version of TS and check for updates often. As bugs are found they are fixed quick! I tune for money and I have never had TS leave me hanging when running a std ms version on "release" firmware. Alpha/beta is a different story, and it should be.

turboswede
11/5/12 10:40 a.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
Knurled wrote: I'm using a 1.01 board, and B&G basic code. I tune with MegaTune, which is (IMO) much more user-friendly and doesn't crash constantly. It works extremely well, gives me no problems, and I've got probably 60k on the setup so far.
I am pretty sure it's not a matter of MegaLogViewer being unregistered; my first thought is that it may be an issue with the way MegaTune defaults to saving data logs in Program Files. Windows 7 doesn't let MegaTune write files there, but won't give an error - it lets MegaTune pretend to write to that folder, and the file doesn't happen. Where are you saving the data logs to?

Exactly what I was trying to get to.

I'm running a 2.2 board and MSExtra without issue.

turboswede
11/5/12 10:43 a.m.
Nashco wrote: Cool. I'm in for the iPhone/iPad version when it comes out! Bryce

There is a separate App available for the iOS environment. It can't use the Bluetooth adapter due to Apple's Bluetooth restrictions, so it uses a Wireless to serial adapter, which isn't as cheap as the one used for Shadow Dash.

http://mobisquirt.org/

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
COcAKcHlRAinxoELwe0reXhovj3T9ge33GrI3zAxqtujXIe0w2EiBlrrXQoSJrgc