1 2
Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar SuperDork
2/23/15 7:37 a.m.

I saw this and thought of a handful of people on this forum. Several Shelby Dodges—including a few turbo examples with composite Fiberide wheels—are going up for auction this spring. Most of these cars have fewer than 30 miles on the odometer and some still have factory plastic over the seats and steering wheel.

It blows my mind that cars even exist in this condition. Link below, some hotlinked photos follow.

http://hooniverse.com/2015/02/22/weekend-edition-nearly-new-chrysler-shelbys-that-are-heading-to-auction-in-march/

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/23/15 7:48 a.m.

OK, I'm not a real "museum piece" kind of guy, but I'd love to own the silver / blue Charger and the red / black Lancer.

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
2/23/15 7:48 a.m.

My guess is every single one hits the target amount. There's enough people with disposable income, in the right age bracket for these cars.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/23/15 8:02 a.m.

I know a group of brothers who may very well buy them all.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
2/23/15 8:24 a.m.

I am wondering what that 1987 CSX will go for. I have been thinking about selling mine, and I wonder if it will ever be worth something someday.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
2/23/15 8:43 a.m.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to scrape together $20K for the red CSX. Thanks, guys.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
2/23/15 8:44 a.m.

Interesting. I actually like that lancer quite a bit, though I'm definitely not much of an old Mopar fan. Just imagine how things could have been if Shelby had done up some GM products instead...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/15 9:19 a.m.

wow... I had forgotten how bad some of the interiors were on those cars (and most cars of that era)

I think the writer either hates dodges or intentionally wrote they would not reach their estimates in the hopes of picking one or two up cheap himself

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
2/23/15 9:23 a.m.

I'm sure they will all sell for at least double, triple, or more what they sold for when "new" I don't think the sellers will really be making any money at those prices. Consider the cost of storage for all these years? Consider the cost of the money invested in the cars back then? Could that money have been put to better use somewhere else? For instance, how many shares of Apple stock could have been bought back then for the cost on just one car? What would that stock be worth now? That is how you determine if you're making money on a collector car.

Now if you drove those cars, enjoyed them, and could still sell then for more then you bought them for then I think you make a good investment!

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar UltraDork
2/23/15 9:38 a.m.
gearheadE30 wrote: Interesting. I actually like that lancer quite a bit, though I'm definitely not much of an old Mopar fan. Just imagine how things could have been if Shelby had done up some GM products instead...

That would have required Chevy not pissing Shelby off when he went looking for engines for the Cobra.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar SuperDork
2/23/15 9:40 a.m.

In reply to jimbbski:

Few people make money using collector cars as an investment—ahem—vehicle; this is only one such example. MSRP on the CSX was $16,000 in 1989. That's $30,000 today, so it'll lose money even before you count in storage expenses and listing fees.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/23/15 9:41 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

They'll probably meet their estimates.....and the truck and lancer will probably pull at least double at a minimum.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar UltraDork
2/23/15 9:47 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I think the writer either hates dodges or intentionally wrote they would not reach their estimates in the hopes of picking one or two up cheap himself

I think the writer doesn't get just what these cars are or what they represent. Probably doesn't like Dodges either. He seems to like the Dakota because it's a V8.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/23/15 9:53 a.m.

They're just all malaise era stuff. Liked by few, hated by the rest. I've done my part scrapping turbo dodges to help make the others more "desirable"

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar UltraDork
2/23/15 10:08 a.m.

In reply to yamaha:

I disagree that the Malaise era was through the 80's. That's roughly '74-'83, overlapping with the Disco and Plaid eras. The '80's is the digital age as wires replaced vacuum hoses under the hood.

As for the auction cars, I'd like to see them meet their minimum, but I don't know that they will. I think a few of these have popped up before but never sold. Might be different now that Shelby isn't here.

There are a couple other interesting pieces in that auction too:

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/23/15 10:19 a.m.

In reply to Rob_Mopar:

That red one is Teh Hotness!!1!11

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/23/15 10:22 a.m.

In reply to Rob_Mopar:

I don't think the CSX's will exceed their estimates, but the others probably will. Its also possible none of them will...I've seen a lot of weird E36 M3 take place at auctions over the last 7 years. A full collection of C4 ZR1 corvettes(every year, all under 400mi) sell for precisely $35k each, a bunch of never dealer prepped late 2nd gen f-bodies sell for $Texas, etc etc

Rupert
Rupert Dork
2/23/15 10:39 a.m.

Interesting link! I don't recall ever seeing at least a couple of those models. That Lancer Hatchback reminds of a Mustang from that era in a lot of ways. (?4-door Mustang?)

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
2/23/15 10:45 a.m.

They are malaise era cars, but if you grew up in the 80's and were really into cars, these were your choices. There were no Z06s or Vipers.

I was never a MOPAR guy, but I sure do like the looks of the red Lancer and black/silver Shadow. As a 13 or 14 year old, I thought they were cool looking.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/15 11:12 a.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

I sold mine, running and rust free for $900. I'd say the market for them is very schitzo where museum pieces get big money and the "survivors" are picked up and traded like Challenge cars.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/15 11:15 a.m.

In reply to Rob_Mopar:

He did use the aluminum Olds motors in the Shelby Series 1. Mostly he goes where the money is and where he can put the deal together. He was a decent salesman who knew how to find hard working smart people to dot the "i's" and cross the "T's"

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar UltraDork
2/23/15 12:12 p.m.

In reply to turboswede:

I forgot about the Series 1. Good point.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
2/23/15 1:05 p.m.

Considering how long these have sat, what would it cost to actually get them into driving condition again? All new tires, belts, hoses, etc, etc, etc...

I grew up in the '80's and I was never attracted to these cars. They were reasonably quick for the time, but the rest of the car wasn't up to par...

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/23/15 1:34 p.m.

You could buy this whole collection for less than the price of one classic Ferrari, wrecked.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
2/23/15 1:43 p.m.

I think we'll see them sell at a "high for a turbo dodge" price. The estimates are high but aren't they always? I also think that because they say Shelby they may sell for a higher amount than usual.

I'm going to make my own predictions so I can see how close I get.

87 CSX 5000-7500

Shelby Lancer 6-8k

89 CSX #1 (like new) 5000-7500

89 Shelby Dakota 6-10k

83 shelby charger 2500-4500

89 CSX #2 (8400 miles) 4-5k

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PSVnIzJRGnKjiyDa8QKtwkAQruzP3bL7w2dHSgs8XkeOlsxNK2WGv4XXhdnhBRO2