procainestart
procainestart HalfDork
9/8/08 12:01 p.m.

I've gone through a couple sets of shocks over the years that, when they're due for replacement, have become quite stiff in high-speed compression: even the tiniest cracks are very rattling. They're a Boge OEM single-tube type. Anyway, I'm wondering why, with age, they become so stiff -- is it the fluid? some orifices have failed?

Thx...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/8/08 12:21 p.m.

That's weird, shocks usually get soft and sloppy with age. Are you sure you're not really feeling the jolt of the springs rebounding? Do you get more (or faster) body roll in high-speed corners?

procainestart
procainestart HalfDork
9/8/08 12:29 p.m.

Yes, usually soft and sloppy. Body roll is unaffected; car handles fine. Maybe it's just the bushings...

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
9/9/08 7:56 a.m.
procainestart wrote: Yes, usually soft and sloppy. Body roll is unaffected; car handles fine. Maybe it's just the bushings...

Yes, with age.. It's usually soft and sloppy!

Lots of body roll ( caused by the body rolls )

She always likes it when I add nice new stiff bushings!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/9/08 8:24 a.m.
SoloSonett wrote:
procainestart wrote: Yes, usually soft and sloppy. Body roll is unaffected; car handles fine. Maybe it's just the bushings...
Yes, with age.. It's usually soft and sloppy! Lots of body roll ( caused by the body rolls ) She always likes it when I add nice new stiff bushings!

Yeah if they were too soft I could recommend something to improve fluid flow and stiffen them up, at least temporarily...

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
9/9/08 9:22 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
SoloSonett wrote:
Yes, with age.. It's usually soft and sloppy! Lots of body roll ( caused by the body rolls ) She always likes it when I add nice new stiff bushings!
Yeah if they were too soft I could recommend something to improve fluid flow and stiffen them up, at least temporarily...

Those WORK! However,

Contact your Dr if stiffness lasts more than four hours!

YaNi
YaNi New Reader
9/9/08 12:09 p.m.

The OE dampers on my '90 RX-7 acted that way. They were very stiff and I couldn't tell they were garbage until I got on a rough road going >20mph. They would produce an audible vibration and the car would shake.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/9/08 9:14 p.m.

Are they blown?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U7LebjqLzpimNhpkxIElSrh1EIbHWlTZdXkMrGJgEsViLAtVYSCUStRsI3epNuip