NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/22/24 8:57 p.m.

The last two summers with the Molvo have been a lot of fun. One of the reasons is because we involve the wife-unitss and do destination drives to Breweries, Wineries and restaurants.

The one concern is that Ontario has a pretty strict and low alcohol limit for driving. So at lunch today we were tossing around the idea of building a short bus Hot Rod like this thing. Only need one DD for the team. Draw straws or some such.

Regardless of how it was built, I was wondering about the realities of putting such a project on the road? License requirements, and insurance in particular. I want it to be a re-bodies dually-pick up mostly. Anyone have experience? with this level of hot-rodding. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/22/24 9:28 p.m.

Looks like 11 passengers max in Ontario with a G license so keep it to 12 seats and you'll be fine. You'll get in trouble if the bus is still Chrome Yellow as that is reserved for School Buses here.

If you get a full size one you can knock the back off and have room to bring one of the hotrods along too (or a hottub or something lol).

Mugglesworth
Mugglesworth New Reader
10/22/24 9:31 p.m.

Greg Leone | FabricationLife

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/22/24 10:12 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

Those are both tidbits that I needed to know early on. Even 10 seats would be plenty, I say now. 

Wonder how close I can go with the yellow? The idea is to NOT attract the gendarmes so haggling colour choices on the side of the road would be counter productive.

Might give Haggerty a call and see if they have something to say about the idea.

I want to think that bolting the body on to a wrecked 3500 series GM pick up would be pretty simple.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
izznmgnYfoxor56o9IHV3KXljkCLQdjywEdFrnSAsb6KSpUd2HgSxbYJyXi7a9ry