1 2
Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
7/29/16 9:20 a.m.

Let these slip through a few weeks ago and CL and been kicking myself since. My only hesitation was I'm not too far in my project of the car and wheels would have usually been the last thing to get. BUT after reading a bit I see that OE aftermarket wheels never really pop up and especially for $300. Turns out guy who bought them locally just got a set of real BBS, so getting rid of them already. I'm just wondering if they will look good? My car is grey and it does have a gold pinstripe / tan interior.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/29/16 9:24 a.m.

I personally don't really like mesh wheels on the 240s but those look better than the usual ones I see.

If you like the look go for it.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
7/29/16 9:28 a.m.

Yes you should.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
7/29/16 9:30 a.m.

I haven't warmed up to the look, might be something I like when it gets on there. I do like black steelies and some sort of chrome trim wall..

Dave
Dave Reader
7/29/16 9:30 a.m.

Yes - those will look fantastic!

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
7/29/16 9:34 a.m.

I like them, I'm always on a lookout for a set of OE Multi-X or similar BBS clones, for my 240, but those aren't Multi-X. I assume those are aftermarket, MSW maybe, with a Volvo badge stuck on the center cap?

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
7/29/16 9:37 a.m.

They are MSW. I think they were made during the 90s? Owner said factory option but I took that with a grain of salt.

gjz30075
gjz30075 HalfDork
7/29/16 9:40 a.m.

I think the picture of your car in the first post is just screaming for someone to photoshop those wheels on it.

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
7/29/16 10:15 a.m.

$300 seems like a pretty good deal. Even if you don't end up liking them you can probably wash them and move them on.

failboat
failboat UberDork
7/29/16 10:24 a.m.

i am a huge fan of mesh wheels but you better keep an old toothbrush handy for cleaning them.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
7/29/16 10:35 a.m.

15 years ago when I parted out Volvos as a side business, I paid $200 for a car with those 15x8 BBS wheels.

I immediately sold the wheels for $350, without trying very hard.

The rest of the car was gravy.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
7/29/16 10:37 a.m.

I think those real BBS pull like 1.2k$ now.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
7/29/16 10:50 a.m.

Mesh wheels for anything from the 80's or with an 80's vibe.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UberDork
7/29/16 11:03 a.m.
EvanB wrote:

I would have gone with this pic

The white car looks a bit off to me. I think it is the black rockers. When combined with the shadow under the vehicle, black rockers are always a sort of an "optical illusion lift kit" which combined with the refrigerator shape of the car makes it look more like a SUV.

And yeah. I hate cleaning my BBS. I also have to do it weekly and have found no effective shortcuts.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
7/29/16 11:11 a.m.

I plan on keeping stock height but when it gets cooler I'm ripping off the plastic trim sanding it, welding holes, then getting a cheap grey paint job.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
7/29/16 12:14 p.m.

I really like the look of the 740 turbo 5 spoke wheels on the 240.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
7/29/16 1:16 p.m.

I like the look of them, but I have decided that I would never torture myself that much for looks because I do not want to clean all those little nooks and crannies.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
7/29/16 2:04 p.m.

I think maybe some black steelies would have the vibe I'm going for.. Going to keep it a stock height work horse. Maybe the rims too pretty for me

Brian
Brian MegaDork
7/29/16 2:14 p.m.

YES!

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
7/29/16 3:28 p.m.
Andy Neuman wrote: I really like the look of the 740 turbo 5 spoke wheels on the 240.

x2

225-50-16's fit on them nicely too

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
7/29/16 3:45 p.m.

Yes. I'm a fan of those. Someone local was trying to give away a set.

Kartoffelbrei
Kartoffelbrei UltraDork
7/29/16 7:27 p.m.

^ Those are Hydras. They're sexy, but not as sexy as those mesh wheels. Mother of god.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
7/29/16 7:35 p.m.

I've found a great way to clean meshies is an artificial feather duster. You know, the kind with those weird plastic-y bristles. The other type is the "dryer vent cleaning wand"

you spray the rims down with a degreaser and let it sit, beforehand let them warm up in the sun before marinating. Then run that dryer cleaner or rigid dust buster in and out. Note: no REAL feather dusters. The feathers get wet and it's just a mess...

Follow up with a real rag to clean the face of the mesh.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
7/29/16 9:40 p.m.

I love those style wheels. I think they would look great.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap Dork
7/29/16 10:12 p.m.

Well I measured the tread on my tires and I def need new ones anyways. So would make mounting them easy with new tires..

So what tires now?! Wheels are 15x7 et13

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SvncMQZixi55xjpGs6JWVKF2sxXZXjHq07Xs1UJ7HHGQKddVGsgmpVk3SpHvKeL8