1 2
Flight Service
Flight Service SuperDork
9/22/12 8:20 a.m.

We do.

I was wondering what everyone's dirty little secret automotive style is.

What vehicle is that no one, in their right mind should like. Automotive pariahs that for some reason we just love.

Pic, and reason (if you can justify it)

I'll start, Land Rovers, all of them. I like the off road capability, but they are not reliable, suck fuel, expensive in everyway and I just love them!!!

Hello, my name is TC and I am a Land Rover addict.

BigD
BigD Reader
9/22/12 8:32 a.m.

I will never own one of these for various reasons but I've always loved them:

And the unicorn... I may still find a way to own one some day but probably not. Continental T in blue. I guess this doesn't really qualify since it's easier to understand why I like it but for a car enthusiast, there isn't much there. In modern terms, it's nothing special and priced like a house.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
9/22/12 11:04 a.m.

I should not like a Mercedes SL65 AMG (why is it so damn heavy?!) but there's my unicorn...

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/22/12 11:18 a.m.

Apparently I love the 80s:

If only there was an easy way to put an LS3 in one... :)

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
9/22/12 11:24 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: What vehicle is that no one, in their right mind should like. Automotive pariahs that for some reason we just love. Pic, and reason (if you can justify it)

Ford Pinto Wagons, especially if it is a Cruising Wagon with the pothole side panels. Or really any of the small to mid size wagons that populated the late 70's to mid 80's.

No real reason, except that 99.8% of the people that remember the Pinto hate them. Seems like a good enough reason to like them. The rest of the wagons, the wife HATES them with a passion, so another strike for LIKING them.

Some examples:

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/22/12 11:50 a.m.

To small, I swear it has a gas powered cuisinart for a motor in it. The interior was so cheep that Thurston Howell III would not like it.

And for some reason I want another.

This looks to be the exact one I had years back.

As for something I should not like but.. .. . ?

Oh I don't know. The problem is that if you hang around here you can justify owning anything.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/12 11:58 a.m.

Ferrari 400i.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/12 11:59 a.m.

Lancia Scorpion.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
9/22/12 12:16 p.m.

VW Fox wagon.

Apis_Mellifera
Apis_Mellifera Reader
9/22/12 12:18 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
9/22/12 12:32 p.m.

CWH Tuning has ruined my life.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/22/12 12:34 p.m.

I actually came dangerously close to buying a Freelander SE3 back in 2003. I was in the showroom of Landrover of New Orleans checking out a yellow SE3 while Juvenile was being shown a Range Rover. I suspect my salesman was less than happy with who had which customer.

I still love the look, but the crazy number of engine failures mean I'd need the truck to be very close to free to even try it.

I dig the Kandi Koco. Cheap enough to allow for ownership of a gas car. All electric. Looks great for getting around town.

alex
alex UltraDork
9/22/12 12:39 p.m.
Apis_Mellifera wrote:

What's not to like? Whale Shark grille (hell, Whale Shark size), funky 70's color, a giant V8 capable of pulling tree stumps and drinking like a sailor on leave, AND long roof goodness! Sign me up!

For reference:

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/12 12:41 p.m.

Three words: Rotary GLC Turbo.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/22/12 12:49 p.m.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
9/22/12 12:53 p.m.

Great, now I have warm fuzzy thoughts about an Aspen wagon, it's like you people are passing around bad crack or something. Slant six, A833-OD, some kind of suspension / steering / brake work... Oh wait, I can't even get my Mustang to run right, who am I kidding?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/22/12 12:59 p.m.

In reply to pres589:

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
9/22/12 1:23 p.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

EEC-IV issues I never fully dealt with because when I have time to work on the car something else is broken. Car runs overly rich, especially when cold.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/22/12 1:54 p.m.

In reply to pres589:

That was just in response to "you people."

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
9/22/12 3:20 p.m.

"oddball" Lincolns.

Someone near me has a Lincoln Versailles that I want very badly. The pics in the CL ad show INCHES of dirt have recently been scraped from all the horizontal surfaces of the car...and they admit it doesn't run.

"Runner up" is the Fox-bodied Continental, built in the mid '80s. And for those not sure of what this looks like, it was Ford's / Lincoln's answer to the "bustle-back" FWD Sevilles of the early '80s.

I also keep looking at Mustang IIs.

mutant
mutant New Reader
9/22/12 7:12 p.m.
John Brown wrote: Three words: Rotary GLC Turbo.

OH HELL YEAH! and then some!

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
9/22/12 7:31 p.m.

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/22/12 10:02 p.m.

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
9/22/12 10:52 p.m.

I know this is wrong.....

The_Jed
The_Jed HalfDork
9/23/12 4:35 a.m.

I've always liked the looks of these land yachts...not sure why.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
loduyfkc9bUEfOlhdy6ESUQbyg2nXINbn6ymmdCdbSs5eOj64GCgdfiGUDwLvW9v