1 2 3
DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo HalfDork
2/7/13 12:18 p.m.

Thread title made me think of that Toyota engine made by sourcing parts from other Toyota engines. But that's more of a frankenstein than a siamese.

Type Q
Type Q Dork
2/7/13 12:21 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I have heard tell that the v8 in the Porsche 928 is two 944 engines

That is slightly backwards. The 928 engine was developed first. The 944 engine based on it.

It would be more accurate say the 944 is half of a 928 engine

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
2/7/13 1:04 p.m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_A57_multibank

The king of siamese'd engines!

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/7/13 1:07 p.m.
Type Q wrote:
mad_machine wrote: I have heard tell that the v8 in the Porsche 928 is two 944 engines
That is slightly backwards. The 928 engine was developed first. The 944 engine based on it. It would be more accurate say the 944 is half of a 928 engine

There's people who have used 944 heads on the 928 and vise verse. Kinda interesting.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
2/7/13 1:13 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to alfadriver: Back when BMW did their original 12 there was no such thing as e-throttles man. Kinda hard to make the two banks "out of sync" with a throttle cable and a distributor. Dozens of airplane manufacturers figured out how to do it...

I thought the BMW V12 did in fact have electrically operated throttle bodies?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
2/7/13 1:17 p.m.

It does. I believe people who swap them into other cars will typically switch to manually operated throttle bodies, like from an e30 3 series.

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
2/7/13 1:18 p.m.

The GMC "Twin Six" V-12 was two GMC 305 V-6 engines siamesed together end-to-end, if that counts. It even had four valve covers!

Volvo medium-duty trucks of the 50's and 60's used a B36 V-8, which was more-or-less a pair of B18 I-4s siamesed together.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
2/7/13 1:30 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

Jets have used FADEC's for a while now, and it seems like even the piston engines are going to them. For a long time mechanical injection or carb were common but they're slowly going away now from what I've heard. The parts are just so reliable and you don't have carb icing.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
2/7/13 1:38 p.m.
jimbbski wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_A57_multibank The king of siamese'd engines!

So much awesome crammed into that.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
2/7/13 1:52 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Javelin wrote: In reply to alfadriver: Back when BMW did their original 12 there was no such thing as e-throttles man. Kinda hard to make the two banks "out of sync" with a throttle cable and a distributor. Dozens of airplane manufacturers figured out how to do it...

Unless I'm getting my history and timing wrong, I think Javelin was right that the first BMW V12 had cable throttles. The first ETC cars were about '94.

Still, for the car to move from one state to another does need some co-ordination so the banks don't fight each other.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
2/7/13 2:05 p.m.

Wasn't the Caddy V16 of the '30s a pair of straight 8's joined together?

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
2/7/13 2:10 p.m.

In reply to Klayfish:

I briefly thought the Lincoln V12 was a joint of the flathead v8, but the info quickly available is inconclusive. The V12 is stated as 72deg (which is odd...), and I had thought the V8 was 60, but the article mentioned 90....

Anway, the L-head design is carryover. So much like other engines the V12 is heavily based on the existing V8.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
2/7/13 2:24 p.m.

That's Lincoln, I'm talking Caddy, yo!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
2/7/13 2:29 p.m.

Hmmm, do 4 to 6 cylinder count?

Ford V4 grew 2 cylinders to become the Cologne V6... the front exhaust port on each side is Siamesed

Volvos B30 is just a B20 with 2 more cylinders added

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
2/7/13 2:30 p.m.

I mean its 2 engines Siamese together rather, as long as its bigger than a 1 rotor.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
2/7/13 2:59 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: I mean its 2 engines Siamese together rather, as long as its bigger than a 1 rotor.

Only if it's a 4-rotor.

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
2/7/13 3:04 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote:
fidelity101 wrote: I mean its 2 engines Siamese together rather, as long as its bigger than a 1 rotor.
Only if it's a 4-rotor.

So a 3 rotor would be a Siam together?

RandyS
RandyS Reader
2/7/13 6:11 p.m.

I beleive the Audi 3.7 and early 4.2 V8 engines are based on two VW 1.8 DOHC 4 cylinders.

BTW, A very short engine with, iirc, a 90mm bore spacing and a 18.5" total length (about the same as a 1.8 Miata engine)

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/7/13 9:53 p.m.

The Pontiac 2.5 iron Duke and the 301 V-8 share some stuff

You guys beat me to the GMC V12

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/7/13 10:51 p.m.

Has JG chimed in yet? We have discussed either an X8 or X12. The X8 is a pair of Subaru engines joined at the crank; the other uses 911 engines. It would totally work, right?

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/8/13 12:30 a.m.

Well thats just cute..........

<<<<Loves spinning triangles of doom.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
2/8/13 1:34 a.m.

Daimler 610. Essentially two DB 605s side by side with a common gearbox.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/9/13 10:15 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: The bike-based V8s are from Hartley (the one found in the DP cars) or RST (as used in the V8 Caterham and the V8 Atom, other than the one built by DP). They're really a custom bottom end wearing Busa heads by the time the engines are done. And they're not cheap.

The Hartley uses Suzuki Hayabusa heads and the RST uses Yamaha R1 heads, if I am not mistaken.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/9/13 10:18 p.m.

I often fantasize about making my own little V-12 from a pair of little baby straight sixes for a Ferrari replica.

Just think about it...start with a couple of 2-liter Nissan or Toyota sixes, or even better (lighter weight!) perhaps a pair of the new BMW motorcycle 1.6 straight sixes. Start measuring about forty times, then do a bit of cutting, milling, bolting, and welding. Then track down that mostly completed Datsun Z car with the Alpha GTO kit I let slip through my fingers a few years back. It may still be around the neighborhood...

Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero)
Fit_Is_Slo (ceasarromero) HalfDork
2/10/13 12:35 a.m.

Pontiac had a desiamesed 389 v8 based 4 cyl in the original tempest http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_V8_engine#195

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PfKIVImlMJbxDqXDUa98CsOhCLqy7mlhZGLnYkFQ1IYTDfH4iFnmeCdygjaWJPcc