1 2 3 4
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/4/12 9:55 a.m.

In reply to Otto Maddox:

A 1950 Dodge is practically modern compared to a 1946/47 Ford or Chevy. The immediate post-war trucks were designed for agriculture use and to be worked on with a hammer and a pipe wrench.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/12 9:56 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote: The original Beetle is a modern vehicle?

it survived up to the 1990s in some markets.. so it is modern by default. Along the way it gained better brakes, more powerful engines, fuel injection, better lights, and even Airconditioning.

I posted this earlier.. but it seems to have vanished.. an AC Beetle can make a Horse and Buggy look complicated

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 HalfDork
5/4/12 10:06 a.m.

VW THING

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
5/4/12 10:07 a.m.

The Chevette was a pretty simple car

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
5/4/12 10:08 a.m.

In reply to Sky_Render:

Sort of modern.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/4/12 10:15 a.m.

I'd argue that anything that can be registered as an "antique" or "classic" car in some state in the US fails to qualify as "modern". Except apparently that limit is 20 years in Connecticut, which means that a 1990 Miata is a "classic car". Buh.

snap_understeer
snap_understeer Reader
5/4/12 10:18 a.m.

You called?

alfadriver
alfadriver UberDork
5/4/12 10:19 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Either VW Bug or Willys GP. The bug's suspension and steering are more complicated but the GP has a liquid cooling system. They both make the suspension on a Sevenesque look ultra-complicated.

I kind of disagree on the suspension thing- a very simply located swing axle, and a darned basic twist front axle. If it's more complicated than the Willys, it's not by much.

But count me in on the A-C Beetle. Simple plus the lack of certain systems... Amazing car.

If it required a certain degree of performance, then the 7 is it for me- the original with the basic engines. The Willys and the 7 are very similar in what's on them. Or more correctly, what's not.

alfadriver
alfadriver UberDork
5/4/12 10:20 a.m.

Air cooled beetle. So nothing to it.

If it required some kind of performance- 7.

Javelin
5/4/12 10:36 a.m.

Technically the Beetle isn't post war fellas...

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/12 10:44 a.m.

I have a hard time labeling something as "modern" just because it was available in modified form in some markets. Hell, you can still get a 1950's Morris Oxford new in India as the Hindustan Ambassador, or a 1930's BMW motorcycle under the Ural name. Doesn't make it modern.

B430
B430 New Reader
5/4/12 12:04 p.m.

My 91 dodge diesel is pretty simple. The body and frame is basically from the 70s and the motor is mechanically controlled so very little electrics in it.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/12 12:37 p.m.
Keith wrote: I have a hard time labeling something as "modern" just because it was available in modified form in some markets. Hell, you can still get a 1950's Morris Oxford new in India as the Hindustan Ambassador, or a 1930's BMW motorcycle under the Ural name. Doesn't make it modern.

ok... Some markets.. the beetle was availible from Germany.. up to 1979 as the Cabriolet.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/4/12 12:42 p.m.

I don't think "Modern" and "VW Bug" ever belonged in the same sentence...

Oops. Sky Rendar beat me to it...

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
5/4/12 12:45 p.m.

Well, if we are counting 40's trucks and old Jeeps as modern, I think the Bug qualifies.

Javelin
5/4/12 12:50 p.m.

In reply to Otto Maddox:

Nobody mentioned Jeep and both of the 40's trucks I named were actually 100% designed post WWII, unlike the Beetle.

If we're going more modern than that an actual cut-off date would be nice. Only have to be 30 to get Classic plates in WA, so modern is 1983 and newer by that definition, in which case I will say the 5.0 GT Mustang from 83/84. Carburetor, simple electronic ignition, stick axle on a 4-link, front McStruts.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
5/4/12 12:52 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Ok, built in 1950 or newer. Doesn't matter if it was designed before then. If you move up to 1983 and newer, the only answer is Miata.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UberDork
5/4/12 12:52 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Nobody mentioned Jeep and both of the 40's trucks I named were actually 100% designed *post* WWII,

I seem to recall they were using Jeeps, or at least something that looked like Jeeps during WWII....

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
5/4/12 12:54 p.m.

maybe oughta try simplest vehicle per decade

Javelin
5/4/12 12:54 p.m.

In reply to Otto Maddox:

You seriously think a DOHC, aluminum head, wishbone-suspension, IRS, convertible Miata with 4-wheel disc brakes and available ABS with airbags and A/C is simpler than a 1983 Mustang??!?!?

Javelin
5/4/12 12:55 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn:

Uh, exactly? Nobody mentioned Jeep because they aren't post-WWII.

PHeller
PHeller SuperDork
5/4/12 1:01 p.m.

Bicycle - All Years

I would have said a skateboard but they aren't very good in dirt unless going downhill, horse isn't simple, although all you need to do is catch one and feed it, and walking isn't considered vehicular transport.

So I'm gonna say that a bicycle is the simplest form of vehicle by definition.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
5/4/12 1:02 p.m.

If we're considering the VW Beetle, wouldn't the Trabant be a contender as well? I doubt there's much "simpler" cars than the two-stroke air-cooled Trabant. The engine has all of 5 moving parts.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
5/4/12 1:02 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

I was under the impression Jeeps are still being made, maybe not simple ones, but I don's suspect a late '40's model is real complicated.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
5/4/12 1:03 p.m.

In reply to bastomatic:

I forgot about those. You might have just picked the new leader.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hu2W0TQ6EN59vw5S1jVGuJKTs3g5TfIhQQBMTdDTelWAmfcwUMfLXurjAmEg8ZMF