1 2
rustysteel
rustysteel New Reader
8/22/13 6:29 p.m.

Not mine but couldn't believe it when I found it. I remember test driving one of these with my Dad. We settled for the much more upscale feeling Hyundai Pony, ha.

Here's the link:

skoda for sale

I'm tempted by this to use for a winter beater/rallycrosser/ice racer.

Probably wouldn't last the winter.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/22/13 6:37 p.m.

WHOA. That's a clean....Skoda.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/22/13 6:48 p.m.

I drove one for a couple of years. It was a good car, but a little slow. I would love to have another one, but the last thing I need is another project. My wife would kill me. She has hated a lot of the cars I've owned, but none as much as that one. I'm not sure if it was the purple seats, eastern European awesomeness or lack of heat. It couldn't have been the design, as it's obviously a beautiful car.

I also owned more Pony's than some small Canadian cities. I don't think I've ever heard the words high end and Hyundai Pony in the same sentence

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/22/13 6:50 p.m.

I see your Skoda, and raise you one Dacia

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/22/13 7:03 p.m.

That Dacia is LEGIT. I want it.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/22/13 7:06 p.m.

I want both of those.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/13 7:07 p.m.

why would that Skoda have a compass on the dash? can it really go far enough to get lost?

NGTD
NGTD Dork
8/22/13 7:08 p.m.

Some cars are rare because no one wanted them in the first place.

I would love to know the backstory on how a car like that ends up with less than 7k kms.

That would make an interesting ice racer but too much $$$'s for that.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/22/13 7:10 p.m.

Probably 107, but it does look clean.

They're really not a bad car. Quite a decent car, in fact, but a little too basic for most people around here.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
8/22/13 7:14 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: Probably 107, but it does look clean. They're really not a bad car. Quite a decent car, in fact, but a little too basic for most people around here.

I remember them at the time as being not that bad, but they didn't exactly sell like first year Miata's. I agree simple, basic transportation. 15 years earlier they would have sold like crazy.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/22/13 7:16 p.m.

But at the same time, the Pony did sell like crazy (#1 import in the country) and I would say the Skoda was a better car. No auto trans didn't help.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/22/13 8:23 p.m.

You guys are killin me. I see more Skodas, Trabants, Ladas, Dacias, and Yugos (Zastavas) than you could shake a stick at! (wait for it, there is a business idea here somewhere)

We could set up a "Trading Post" here in Papa, Hungary. We'll ship a 40ft container of whatever crappy "western car" you're sick of (small cars are the preference here) I'll set up a lot where Hungarians cursed with Trabant, Skoda, Dacia, etc ownership can trade in their cars for one of your cars at no cost!

When the container gets back to your place it'll be full of crappy eastern bloc cars and everybody's a winner!

Hot dang! Who's in?

Jaxmadine
Jaxmadine Reader
8/22/13 9:13 p.m.

I want a yugo so bad. Dont know about skodas tho.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
8/22/13 9:14 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill: How do Hungarians feel about GM J bodies? I've seen cavaliers and sunfires that run and are presentable looking for well under a grand.

If I were a Hungarian customs official I refuse to let the shipment in, on the grounds that its industrial waste

Edit: any chance that you could find a decent Tatra?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/22/13 9:25 p.m.
Hungary Bill wrote: You guys are killin me. I see more Skodas, Trabants, Ladas, Dacias, and Yugos (Zastavas) than you could shake a stick at! (wait for it, there is a business idea here somewhere) We could set up a "Trading Post" here in Papa, Hungary. We'll ship a 40ft container of whatever crappy "western car" you're sick of (small cars are the preference here) I'll set up a lot where Hungarians cursed with Trabant, Skoda, Dacia, etc ownership can trade in their cars for one of your cars at no cost! When the container gets back to your place it'll be full of crappy eastern bloc cars and everybody's a winner! Hot dang! Who's in?

I'm in, I want to build a fleet of Trabants and Ladas.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
8/22/13 9:34 p.m.

That Skoda needs moar 3800. Or, frankly, even moar K24.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/22/13 11:28 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: In reply to Hungary Bill: How do Hungarians feel about GM J bodies? I've seen cavaliers and sunfires that run and are presentable looking for well under a grand. If I were a Hungarian customs official I refuse to let the shipment in, on the grounds that its industrial waste Edit: any chance that you could find a decent Tatra?

just one car: Tatra Which is weird because I KNOW I've seen a 613 running around town. Lots of trucks though.

I was actually worried that the US customs agent would see a container full soviet bloc cars and have it condemned as a potential nuclear hazard.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
8/22/13 11:35 p.m.

Suer cool...I love the hood (in a weird sort of way). Seems like a good price!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
8/22/13 11:59 p.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill:

I just got rid of my rusty old GM compact that would pass for a luxury car in East Europe, totally would have traded it for a Trabant.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/23/13 12:09 a.m.
Duke wrote: That Skoda needs moar 3800. Or, frankly, even moar K24.

When I had mine, one of the (maybe the only) local dealer mechanics put a 2.0L Nissan motor in his. He made an adapter plate, and did a really nice job. I saw that, and started thinking about a VW diesel swap. Looking for a motor, I found a real decent Diesel Rabbit, which meant two things: I no longer needed the Skoda, and I just bought the most unreliable car I'll likely ever own.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/23/13 7:39 a.m.

I want one.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
8/23/13 8:29 a.m.

I'd trade you a container full of Cavaliers or Neons for a container of Trabants any day. I even live in a port city! How about we trade full sized dodge trucks for the big Tatra trucks? I want to build a Dakar truck clone so bad it hurts.

erm87
erm87 New Reader
8/23/13 8:56 a.m.

http://youtu.be/Hk4afPD4H-s?t=10s

Skoda 120 Jump. Needs more Dixie air horn.

http://youtu.be/Q4UR6eiYTpY

And now I want a Trabant with a Hyabusa in it.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
8/23/13 10:12 a.m.

FWIW, that Skoda in the first post has a licence plate that dates back to about 1984, and the plate looks just about pristine. (Not that anybody cares, but we issued plates through the alphabetical/numerical sequence to ZZZ-999 and then started over again at 001-AAA. The switch happened in about 1985.) In Ontario, plates go with the owner, not the car, so you could be looking at a one-owner car that really does - for whatever reason - have very low miles.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
8/23/13 10:50 a.m.
Hungary Bill wrote: You guys are killin me. I see more Skodas, Trabants, Ladas, Dacias, and Yugos (Zastavas) than you could shake a stick at! (wait for it, there is a business idea here somewhere) We could set up a "Trading Post" here in Papa, Hungary. We'll ship a 40ft container of whatever crappy "western car" you're sick of (small cars are the preference here) I'll set up a lot where Hungarians cursed with Trabant, Skoda, Dacia, etc ownership can trade in their cars for one of your cars at no cost! When the container gets back to your place it'll be full of crappy eastern bloc cars and everybody's a winner! Hot dang! Who's in?

Actually my friend plans on doing that to his next trip to hungary (his wife is hungarian) load up a container full of trablants, keep one and sell off the rest. Maybe I should put him in contact with you...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HTXTm7lG1sQjCi9TTkOSAwYkR2V0gQRV4evO4KBa4mhDecraCqWsXr5e46UkTGl7