stealthfighter1
stealthfighter1 New Reader
8/26/10 9:20 p.m.

I may turbocharge a b16a and i want to package it all in a sleeper fashion, i want to use a small intercooler i don't have to cut up the bumper and be able to hide it semi-well . point me towards small efficient intercoolers that might work for my application, 8-10 psi , in a 91 civic hatch. oem intercoolers are fine since they are usually small and semi effective oh and cheap...i still have to measure the available space ( dumb me)

cxhb
cxhb HalfDork
8/26/10 9:40 p.m.

DSM sidemount comes to mind.

EDIT: maybe even an Evo intercooler... I know its not that small but they are sturdy and Evo guys always upgrade to huge ones so Im sure they can be had for a decent price.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
8/26/10 10:39 p.m.

A DSM sidemount was the smallest and cheapest unit I could find. Still big for my needs but it fits. All aluminum construction made it easy to modify (I had to shorten one port and relocate the other)

Photobucket

Mazda/Ford probe intercoolers are thinner but a bit longer,

Saab 900 bar and plate coolers are pretty tidy but either sell for pennies or too much

VW 1.8t intercoolers are about the same size as the DSM sidemount but the plastic endtanks have ports that point in difficult directions

procainestart
procainestart Dork
8/27/10 1:14 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote: Saab 900 bar and plate coolers are pretty tidy but either sell for pennies or too much

The earlier ones (MY85 and older) were all aluminum, in case you want to modify one. Can easily handle a dozen PSI. If you are trying to cheap out on ducting as well, 89-93 models came with some nice mandrel bent aluminum pieces (earlier years = cast aluminum). 94+ 900s and all 9000s also have plenty of good tubing and stout rubber coupling.

RE: Evo FMIC -- I bought one at one point but never got around to installing it. The thing is big, not stealth at all. But speaking of Mitsu, they have a lower-end Lancer out -- sort of what the WRX is vs. the STi -- that looks to have a more compact FMIC. If anyone has dimensions, I'd be interested in seeing them.

stealthfighter1
8/27/10 9:09 a.m.

i did see evo intercoolers as an option, also i did run acroos the mazdaspeed miata front mount intercoolers , any info on these?

RossD
RossD Dork
8/27/10 10:09 a.m.

Not that they are cheap but twin turbo cars with 2 intercoolers will probably be a smaller size than one large one. Audi's 2.7 Bi-turbo comes to mind (S4 or A6). One intercooler will be sized for just 1.35 liters. Just a thought.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
8/27/10 10:40 a.m.

I know the side mounts on the Mk4 Jettas are prone to heat soak under WOT episodes. Changing mine to a front mount in due time

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/27/10 12:37 p.m.

The SRT-4 intercoolers are actually pretty small and can be hidden pretty well in an existing bumper opening. Just paint it flat black and few people will see it.

Another option would be liquid intercooling by injecting water and/or alcohol into the intake to cool the charge.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
8/27/10 12:57 p.m.

If stealth and compactness is key, consider an air to water inter-cooler...

I think the JDM version of the early 90s Subaru Legacy's had them...

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
8/27/10 12:58 p.m.

The SRT4 intercooler is wider than my whole engine bay is. It was recommended to me as well but they are just massive.

Mazda Millenia intercoolers looked nice and diminutive but would need some modifications

erohslc
erohslc Reader
8/27/10 2:01 p.m.

The Nissan 300ZX TT units are pretty compact.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/27/10 3:46 p.m.

Answer is Miata!

We've got two on the shelf right now. They will heatsoak with a fairly small turbo trying to run whatever stock boost on the 2004-05 MSM is - factory sez 8-ish, we measure 4-ish.

The top one is stock, not the lower one

smog7
smog7 Dork
8/27/10 4:33 p.m.

3sgte mr2 side mount or all trac top mount, can be bought sometimes for as low as $25

mndsm
mndsm Dork
8/27/10 4:34 p.m.

DSM guys have been using mkIV supra intercoolers as cheap upgrades for like, forever.... IIRC they're side mount too.

stealthfighter1
8/27/10 9:29 p.m.

ok, so i've got a starion intercooler but the pipes had been cut kinda short, my friend has one that has all pipes intact... i will try to see if trimming the pipes a bit i can fit it and mount it...i will paint it black. i've looked for hp potentail and limitations....any directions?

Sizzlechest
Sizzlechest
8/27/10 10:22 p.m.

If the Starion IC doesn't work, you could also look at the one Isuzu used with the 4XF1 in the RS Impulse and M100 Elan. It was just longer than a sheet of paper IIRC. I think the MSP one was also smaller than the DSMs?

Will
Will HalfDork
8/28/10 10:01 a.m.

Look for a Thunderbird SC intercooler. I don't have a pic handy, but they're fairly compact.

zomby woof
zomby woof Dork
8/28/10 10:11 a.m.

It sounds like you have it figured out, but the Chevy Sprint turbo IC is pretty small, and should be available for cheap.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IB2C24cDSDCquvHzoWkl6ROxdtm2RtO7SRRyhhOuOCjfOnW5cX49uzgusVsCRATC