1 2
Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
3/13/24 10:05 a.m.

I currently have a Snell SA2010 helmet, but those are going to be falling out of favor shortly, with some tracks already not listing them as acceptable, so it's time to start looking.  Has there been any scuttlebutt on any major changes that may be coming for 2025 for the SA rated helmets?  Reason I ask is should I grab an SA2020 and be done with it, or hold out for a 2025 if there is a big advancement.  

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
3/13/24 10:15 a.m.

My racequip helmet is a 2020 and NHRA is accepting them until 27... not bad for $250.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
3/13/24 10:53 a.m.

I buy the previous certification helmets on closeout.

I got an Arai helmet for something like 30% off.

I get a new helmet every 5-6 years anyway. 

It's not like the helmets are 5 years old when you buy them.....they are brand new.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/13/24 11:03 a.m.
Puddy46 said:

I currently have a Snell SA2010 helmet, but those are going to be falling out of favor shortly, with some tracks already not listing them as acceptable, so it's time to start looking.  Has there been any scuttlebutt on any major changes that may be coming for 2025 for the SA rated helmets?  Reason I ask is should I grab an SA2020 and be done with it, or hold out for a 2025 if there is a big advancement.  

Serious question, when was the last time there was a big advancement? Is an SA2020 really that much safer than a 15 or 10 or older?

The only reason I buy new helmets is that the sanctioning bodies stop allowing my old ones.

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
3/13/24 11:13 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) :

In all honesty, I have no idea.  I upgrade based on the same criteria as you of the old bucket isn't allowed anymore, I buy a new one.  But, as I get further from being young and dumb, I figure it's worth asking. 

I have no problem getting the current 2020, but knowing my luck, a month after I spend the money, the new hotness drops.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/24 11:23 a.m.

Standard HANS anchors was probably the most obvious significant change. But I think the main reason people wait is the extra 5 years of certification.

The 2025s won't be available for well over a year.

DasAuto
DasAuto GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/13/24 12:13 p.m.

The HANS anchors have gotten better and the weights have come down. My 15 is noticeably lighter than my 05 was (same brand/model). 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/13/24 1:42 p.m.

Helmets don't last forever.  UV damages them, the foam gets harder over time, they get dropped, etc.  One of the reasons why sanctioning bodies require periodic replacement even if the standards revisions are minor is that they want people to stop using the old ones.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
3/13/24 10:07 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:

Helmets don't last forever.  UV damages them, the foam gets harder over time, they get dropped, etc.  One of the reasons why sanctioning bodies require periodic replacement even if the standards revisions are minor is that they want people to stop using the old ones.

that chip in the top of my helmet is purely cosmetic ;)

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
3/14/24 8:31 a.m.

Weight is the main reason I'm thinking about replacing my 2010 simple open-face with something newer and maybe closed-face.  AX & hopefully RX again soon, never rule out a simple track day either.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/14/24 11:14 a.m.
Tom1200 said:

I buy the previous certification helmets on closeout.

I got an Arai helmet for something like 30% off.

Same thing I do. I got an SA2010 Simpson Bandit for almost 50% off in 2015. I'll have to replace it in 2025, so 10 years out of a high-quality helmet for $140 is not bad.

Keith Tanner
3/14/24 11:22 a.m.

Good tip!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/14/24 12:30 p.m.
ClearWaterMS said:

that chip in the top of my helmet is purely cosmetic ;)

I can still recall the sound of my bike helmet kissing the ground when I wiped out. I retired that helmet. :) 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
3/14/24 1:17 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I once got clipped by a car on my motorcycle. I went clear over the car and landed helmet first........there was a very load pop sound inside the helmet as if some popped a brown paper bag inside my head.

The paint on the helmet had minor scratches......Arai makes a nice wall art.

Puddy46
Puddy46 Reader
3/14/24 1:21 p.m.

Fortunately the only thing my helmet has had to do thus far is make me look cooler.  And it certainly had its work cut out for itself in that area.

Looks like no big shakeup is imminent, so an SA2020 it is.  Good reason to visit Summit in the coming weekends.  

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/14/24 1:44 p.m.

One of the reasons why sanctioning bodies require periodic replacement even if the standards revisions are minor is that they want people to stop using the old ones.

In my experience sanctioning bodies don't know (anything about helmets) and don't care what you put on your head. That determination is made by the insurance companies.

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
3/14/24 3:26 p.m.
Puddy46 said:

Fortunately the only thing my helmet has had to do thus far is make me look cooler.  And it certainly had its work cut out for itself in that area.

Looks like no big shakeup is imminent, so an SA2020 it is.  Good reason to visit Summit in the coming weekends.  

Ooh I'll be in Cleveland this weekend.  Good idea.

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/14/24 4:01 p.m.

In reply to Peabody :

Most wheel to wheel sanctioning bodies have specifications for what is allowed. Lemons is on a 10 year schedule, if I remember correctly. 

David S. Wallens
3/14/24 4:16 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Yup, the helmet did its job. I have my old one hanging on a hook in my office. Like you said, good art. 

Driven5
Driven5 PowerDork
3/14/24 6:17 p.m.

In reply to tester (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, autox and such generally seem to be ok going one cert cycle older than W2W is. So buying the outgoing cert for that wouldn't be as good of a deal, as it means only 5 years before expiration... Which might not be a problem either, if that's  your normal replacement age anyways.

Keith Tanner
3/14/24 7:41 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Tom1200 :

Yup, the helmet did its job. I have my old one hanging on a hook in my office. Like you said, good art. 

A friend of mine borrowed my mother's bike helmet to go for a ride. She went over the bars and cracked the helmet - she was fine. She was very apologetic to my mom for the damage. "Don't be sorry! That situation is exactly why I loaned it to you!" was the reply.

David S. Wallens
3/15/24 12:35 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

And I’m not a helmetologist, but I see just regular use eventually compromising the foam and other materials found inside a helmet. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/15/24 1:01 p.m.

If you plan to run in New Jersey - AX / RX, track days, or racing - check with the organizer.  NJ State Police, errrr, police the helmet approvals and they may only allow the current certification.  Possibly one previous, I'm not sure.  But they are more strict than most sanctioning bodies.

RichardNZ
RichardNZ GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/16/24 3:12 a.m.

Not directly comparable but for motorcycle competition in NZ ...

Snell 2015 and 2020 , ECE22.05 22.06 plus a JIS standard. Maximum life is 10 years based on the manufacture date in the helmet. Recommended life is 3 years. We, as in MNZ stewards at race meetings, have the right to impound anything we see as too old or too dodgy.

The last helmet I bought was nearly a year old by the time it made its way from China to Spain and then here sad

cheers

R

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/16/24 10:46 a.m.
RichardNZ said:

Not directly comparable but for motorcycle competition in NZ ...

So up here ECE is the gold standard, and nobody wants a Snell helmet any more. I looked at the rules for our big off road series and there was still a Snell mention, but it was Snell2005, and probably a left over, as there are two newer ECE standards accepted. For our top pro MX series it's not even mentioned but DOT and ECE standards are.

About 15 years ago Snell was called out for their flawed testing methods, and did what you would expect, they doubled down, defended their testing methods saying they were the best. Then quietly changed how they tested helmets. There was a really good article that I think has been eliminated from the internet where the writer tested a bunch of helmets highlighting the flawed testing, and if I recall, found that some inexpensive DOT helmets were better than the Snell certified ones. I also think he lost his job over that article pissing people off in the helmet industry.  Anyway, there was a lot of push back on Snell, and it was about that time when Snell certification lost out to the ECE standards here.

As far back as the 90's I questioned the requirements because they seemed to be all over the place. Some were OK with older Snell, some had to be within 5 years, one series forbid the use of helmets, and under the same umbrella made Snell certified helmets mandatory for autocross (?!). I was just looking for clarification, and wanted to know the reasons why. I got the same answer from every one of them.

It has nothing to do with us, it's an insurance requirement.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KKRbW239CKnuyR9dSBJHCuuTKMMViKnXTVEEbeoC1VKv1T7IlbqoJGd1P7YnsNaV