1 ... 9 10 11 12
speedblind
speedblind HalfDork
3/19/13 7:12 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
speedblind wrote: Haven't seen the show, and probably won't bother. They are clearly doing a good job of generating discussion, though, as there are threads like this on every car board I'm on. The disappointing thing, to me, is that they're using high hp, high dollar domestics and matching them up against lower-prep imports on a track that favors speed. It's a lose-lose situation - if you win, you did so by rigging the game and outspending the other guy. If you lose, your high-dollar car got beat by a 20k car with the deck stacked against it. I'd rather see them flip that scenario: invite a brand-new GTR or Lambo and build a C5 Z06 to kick its ass. The GRM Ultimate Track Car challenge proves that it's possible on a legit track like VIR. At the end, you reveal the build cost for both and make the point that it's ingenuity and engineering that win over checkbook racing. That would get me to tune in, and I for one find most modern domestic "sports" cars useless.
You should probably watch the show before commenting. They have had a Lambo and a GTR on the show, and they ran them against old muscle cars. I don't think any muscle car they've had on there, modded or not, can equal a lambo on a track with equal drivers, which is a good example of why I don't agree at all that the imports are outgunned. In fact, they often win. But anyone that thinks this show is really about an equal competition of domestic and import isn't "getting" it, IMO.

No, I'm pretty sure I get it.

My beef is with the premise of the show - let's stack the deck and pretend to make a valid comparison.

They could do a lot better by putting themselves in the role of David and going up against some Goliath-like supercars (or Godzilla?). Then you'd actually root for them, no matter which type of car you prefer.

Instead, they're trying to create controversy and discussion by marketing a blatantly unfair game as a competition. That won't last long - never does.

I just don't see why car shows here have to be about pissing people off and generating these contrived conflicts between groups. Compare 90% of US-based car shows to Top Gear and it's no wonder TG has lasted so long. They invite the viewer along for the ride and everything's done with a wink. It's far more intelligent and enjoyable than trumped up controversy, and much more satisfying to watch.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/19/13 11:15 p.m.

Wait. .. . . What? Really? More info please.

nicksta43 wrote: As far as the show goes I doubt there will be a next season seeing how speed is going away.
bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
3/20/13 5:43 a.m.
DRTHVDR wrote: In reply to bravenrace: The problem isn't that we are not getting it, the entire premise of the show is which is faster. The show is telling they are legitimately trying to find out which is faster. Then you completely stack the deck in favor of high horsepower vehicles. The only saving grace, thus far, was the producers letter explaining that this was intended as a Gladiator vs Average Joe affair with the "Gladiators" being the "Rednecks" (Pro-Touring). I wish they would have marketed it as such.

I think the entire premise of the show is entertainment, not racing. And the results do not indicate that the deck is stacked in favor of the musclecars, which I assume is what you meant, since many of the imports have been high horsepower cars also. IIRC, on about half the shows the import has won, so where do you guys come up with the idea that these 40 something year old musclecars that are arguably more poorly driven somehow have an advantage over modern performance cars? That track has straights, but it also has tight corners, and ABS and traction control are a huge advantage in those situations. Frankly I was surprise that the Mustang the other night kept up with the Audi as well as it did.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
3/20/13 8:18 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: Wait. .. . . What? Really? More info please.
nicksta43 wrote: As far as the show goes I doubt there will be a next season seeing how speed is going away.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/05/speed-channel-will-be-renamed-fox-sports-1/

dean1484
3/20/13 8:23 a.m.
wbjones wrote:
dean1484 wrote: Wait. .. . . What? Really? More info please.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/05/speed-channel-will-be-renamed-fox-sports-1/

Well that sucks. Yes I may complain about alot of the content on Speed but watch somthing about motorsports is a whole lot better than not.

DRTHVDR
DRTHVDR New Reader
3/25/13 9:54 p.m.

Was the precursor to this event NBC purchasing F1 coverage?

kanaric
kanaric New Reader
3/27/13 5:42 a.m.

just watched this show at work and a few questions....

How does that kid afford a Lotus Exige?

Why is a new Camaro considered a domestic when it has only 65% american parts and is built in Canada? A Honda Accord is more american, lol.

Other than that the first episode shouldn't have been the first episode. I think the episode with the S4 should have been. The first episode just seemed like it was made to bash imports and shove their face in the dirt especially bringing a nascar driver in. Every other episode was sensible and good though IMO.

kb58
kb58 HalfDork
3/27/13 8:46 a.m.
speedblind wrote: ... Instead, they're trying to create controversy and discussion by marketing a blatantly unfair game as a competition... I just don't see why car shows here have to be about pissing people off and generating these contrived conflicts between groups.

I hope you're asking rhetorically. TV is about making money -period - and they'll do whatever they can to get people to watch, which has nothing to do with reality or fact.

You have to consider the demographic; we're a nation of morons with an average education of about 5th-grade, or so it seems. The next time you're in line at the grocery store and the person ahead of you picks up a National Enquirer, hit them once outside the head with your frozen trout for me. Why people watch TV in the first place and then bitch about it is beyond me.

Ah, that felt good.

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
3/27/13 10:15 a.m.

I did take a little pleasure in watching the S4 beat up on everyone. Especially when the driver said he left his porsche race car at home. . . he knew how to play the condescending role better than reep. It's probly a good thing he didn't bring his race car, some no talent loud mouth would have slammed into it on turn one and blamed him for the collision.

I also think It's funny that the "rednecks" spent all week at the track compared to the "punks" 2 days, and they still couldnt figure out turn one. . . . heavy car = longer skid pad. . . . generally speaking ofcourse. but I'm just some dumb import lovin punk. . . nevermind the 2 fords in my driveway.

I feel like such a short course actually stacks the deck for the imports. . . There wasn't much room for 700 horses to run IMO. If it weren't for tards like yancey I'd probly root for the rednecks too!

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
3/27/13 10:16 a.m.
speedblind wrote: No, I'm pretty sure I get it.

No. You don't. Really.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/27/13 10:23 a.m.
kanaric wrote: just watched this show at work and a few questions.... How does that kid afford a Lotus Exige?

An excellent question I was still rooting for him for making a good vehicle choice, and being the underdog power-wise.

BillHowell
BillHowell New Reader
3/27/13 4:18 p.m.

Kid with lotus Dad has won Rolex 24 a couple times now. So, he comes with racing background, now is getting track time and will be real racer soon, if money buys talent.

DRTHVDR
DRTHVDR New Reader
3/27/13 5:28 p.m.

Money buys you into the sport. Talent comes hopefully after.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
3/27/13 5:30 p.m.
DRTHVDR wrote: Money buys you into the sport. Talent comes hopefully after.

That's what Joey Logano said...

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
3/27/13 5:41 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote:
DRTHVDR wrote: Money buys you into the sport. Talent comes hopefully after.
That's what Joey Logano said...

Obviously, money and talent can't buy respect from fellow racers and some observers...

GameboyRMH
3/27/13 7:07 p.m.

Just watched ep.6.

Bill you got two good runs in now, against the S2k in ep. 5 and on the tire in ep. 6

Too bad Todd's engine blew up, I woulda liked to see him go up against one of the faster muscle cars.

BillHowell
BillHowell New Reader
3/27/13 9:42 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Just watched ep.6. Bill you got two good runs in now, against the S2k in ep. 5 and on the tire in ep. 6 Too bad Todd's engine blew up, I woulda liked to see him go up against one of the faster muscle cars.

LOL, the S2000 was a fun race, except he had almost as much hp as I did and much lighter. I did a good job blocking him for a lap and a half. The tire was a Hey yall watch this moment..haha

04trailsti
04trailsti New Reader
4/9/13 12:28 a.m.

Until I see one of the optima cars succeed here http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/2993/2013-modified-streetcar-shootout--the-rules-the-cars-the-big-tease.aspx Then I won't care, give it a shot bill.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
4/9/13 6:23 a.m.

Actually watched a few shows. As suspected, this is just another "Reality" show. Meaning that it aint.

Anyone who thinks the whole thing is not scripted needs to sit down with Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy and have a little talk about what is and is not real.

dean1484
4/9/13 6:54 a.m.

I so wanted the Rapter to win last night.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
4/9/13 12:37 p.m.

I've watched a few shows and I can stomach it, but I wouldn't mind seeing Reep go away.

dean1484
4/9/13 3:52 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: Actually watched a few shows. As suspected, this is just another "Reality" show. Meaning that it aint. Anyone who thinks the whole thing is not scripted needs to sit down with Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy and have a little talk about what is and is not real.

I was getting annoyed again but when they picked trucks to race against the drift car and the mini I think I finally saw the humor in this whole thing.

DRTHVDR
DRTHVDR New Reader
4/12/13 7:35 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: I was getting annoyed again but when they picked trucks to race against the drift car and the mini I think I finally saw the humor in this whole thing.

I am in agreement with you dean. The truck vs. slow cars episode was a bit of a redemption for me as well. You can tell they are looking at lap times to choose the competition.

GameboyRMH
4/12/13 7:55 p.m.

You gotta see the final round of Ep. 8...a very close race between a straight-line gunner and a corner-carver.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
4/22/13 6:32 a.m.

Bill, if you're still on here .... the event at CMP ( southern slam) was a LOT of fun ... really great to meet the "ass-kicker" in person you, he and all the rest were super nice .. saw some beautiful cars ... had a blast on track ... some of those "red-neck" cars are seriously fast on a road course ( for those that know CMP.. there were some low 1:40's being turned ...

just wanted to say .. thanks for the invite, and I plan to be there next yr ..might even have legal tires by then LOL

thanks for a great weekend

1 ... 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QJc4WJqVWgEAsSr7eGLY74odUfwNq7GeNPk8T5ziSf4Zu9wZ7pWvLN1jZhN75rAc