1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
BillHowell
BillHowell New Reader
1/27/13 8:53 p.m.

DRVHTDR,

It wouldn't be much of a show if we had stock 60's cars running again track cars, who would watch that? It would be pretty boring too if we had stock 60's cars running stock 70's foreign cars. The imports, pretty much every one that showed up, were found on SCCA or local track forums. Most had roll cages, and were track prepped. The muscle cars mostly came from people involved in the protouring scene and familiar with the American Street Car Series. I own a stock 69 Mach 1, no way would I put that on the track, for my safety and others, it wouldn't be practical. This show, like any other show on the tube, will not be for everyone, but it is true racing, no games there, and entertaining at the same time. Instead of dogging it before you see it, why don't you wait and watch it first? Also, remember this is a TV show, not NASA and not SCCA. I have been to both for track days and if you have too, that would make for boring TV.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/27/13 9:37 p.m.
BillHowell wrote: Also, remember this is a TV show, not NASA and not SCCA. I have been to both for track days and if you have too, that would make for boring TV.

^^^^^ This is so true. Keep this in mind the next time you bring your spouse / significant other to the track especially if it is there first time. In fact the first time I took my wife to a race I made sure it was an event that I was not participating in.

Ever watch some one else's in-car video? Ya to them is is top Nelson ratings material when in fact it is well.. . .average at best. Making TV is easy. Making intresting TV is really hard.

I am hoping that this show works. One problem you have Bill is that Speed has had some really really bad productions. The Adam Carolla thing was about the worst. I hope you and your show can help change the speed chanel trend of really really badly produced TV shows.

BillHowell
BillHowell New Reader
1/27/13 10:07 p.m.

Dean, Thanks and I hear you. I was there during the filming and know there was some fun moments, tense moments and all out racing moments. Now, what makes good tv is how it was cut in the production room. Know that the production company is the same one that brought you Overhaulin, OUSCI, and many other shows so they do know how to make great tv. My main concern is that Speed has been bought by Fox since this was produced so it better get good ratings or we will be short lived. Time will tell, but it was a blast to do, either way.

DRTHVDR
DRTHVDR New Reader
1/28/13 5:36 p.m.

I'll reserve my judgement. I'm on some "Pro-Touring" forums. The amount of money these guys put into a classic (Say a 70 AAR Cuda) to make it competitive is grotesque. Put half of that money into a 2005 Evolution and you will have a car that will go toe to toe with a 458 Italia.

Just sayin'

BillHowell
BillHowell New Reader
1/28/13 5:39 p.m.
DRTHVDR wrote: I'll reserve my judgement. I'm on some "Pro-Touring" forums. The amount of money these guys put into a classic (Say a 70 AAR Cuda) to make it competitive is grotesque. Put half of that money into a 2005 Evolution and you will have a car that will go toe to toe with a 458 Italia. Just sayin'

True, but then you would just have another 2005 Evolution and look like everyone else with one when you drove to the beach. I owned a 2008 corvette and never drove it for the same reason. Much prefer the 72 Charger, hardly, if ever see another one on a road trip. Also anyone with a true 70AAR Cuda that makes it a protouring style car is NUTS!!!! just saying.

DRTHVDR
DRTHVDR New Reader
2/2/13 12:17 p.m.

I feel the premise of the show to be weak. We all want/need a true head to head comparison of REAL street cars. I would LOVE for there to be an American version of "Best Motoring". The problem is that someone will mess it up with scripts and stupid bantering between host with either no car knowledge or stale charisma. I love all the different genre's. I have owned muscle cars and German sports cars and Japanese rally cars. I found my personal favorite mix and made it myself. Mazda handling with an American V8 under the hood. I have NEVER driven anything as exciting as it. Including a 500 hp AMG Mercedes.

mtownneon
mtownneon New Reader
2/2/13 1:05 p.m.

I'm looking forward to this show. I'm a fan of Jon Reep, musclecars, the Pro-Touring movement, road racing, autocrossing, and the SCCA so this show looks to be a lot of fun.

How is a Pro-Touring car any different from most of the better prepped track-day autocross cars in existence? They aren't is the answer.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
2/2/13 1:23 p.m.
mtownneon wrote: I'm looking forward to this show. I'm a fan of Jon Reep, musclecars, the Pro-Touring movement, road racing, autocrossing, and the SCCA so this show looks to be a lot of fun. How is a Pro-Touring car any different from most of the better prepped track-day autocross cars in existence? They aren't is the answer.

I concur and would even participate if I had a chance

When does it come on and what channel is it?

Speed, Feb 22nd

DRTHVDR
DRTHVDR New Reader
2/12/13 4:59 p.m.
mtownneon wrote: How is a Pro-Touring car any different from most of the better prepped track-day autocross cars in existence? They aren't is the answer.

My answer to that is the amount of money put into it. If any forum out there should understand the value of a dollar, it's this one. Equal playing field is equal dollar amount. Or at least in the relative ballpark.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/12/13 5:38 p.m.
DRTHVDR wrote: My answer to that is the amount of money put into it. If any forum out there should understand the value of a dollar, it's this one. Equal playing field is equal dollar amount. Or at least in the relative ballpark.

For the most part, I agree with you. However, I agree with Dave(Mtown) as well.....some autox builds are exceeding pro touring builds in cubic dollars spent.

I am withholding judgement until I determine if it is decent, good, or crap.

toyzforme
toyzforme
2/13/13 7:45 a.m.

Well I was at Carolina Motorsports aka CMP when they were filming this. I was getting ready for a track day the day after this with my Infiniti G37S and from what I saw the muscle cars were much faster than the cars they were put up against. A 800 hp Camaro against a M3 BMW. There were others as well but to me it looked like the deck was stacked in favor of the Year One cars and the other rides that were there. Don't get me wrong there were some SWEEET cars there but the imports looked like they couldn't compete. I will watch the show and see if my initial impressions were correct or not.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/13/13 10:09 a.m.

In reply to toyzforme:

thats my biggest concern......if it is consistantly mismatched sides, then it'd be about like watching Vin Diesel row through his 5sp gearbox 9 times in a 9 minute 1/4 mile.....

BillHowell
BillHowell New Reader
2/13/13 10:38 a.m.

I am so looking forward to the first couple of shows, and seeing what is said here after the Feb.22 and Feb. 25 shows air. You can watch both shows on speed at 9pm and 9:30pm on Monday night Feb.25. Then I think you will have a different idea about what really happened. Either way, we will see very soon.

toyzforme
toyzforme New Reader
2/20/13 3:46 p.m.

There was a guy there that I knew from autocrossing and he got lucky enough to go up against some of those guys. He was driving a red RX-7 third gen with a V-8 swap and he did pretty good but finally got beat. He wanted to tell us more about the show but was under obligation not to talk about the show until after it aired. I can't wait to see his episode.

DRTHVDR
DRTHVDR New Reader
2/22/13 9:22 p.m.

So far this 1st Episode is a complete joke. This is such a facade. A 14 year old M3 against a NEW Boss 302 (which is faster than the CURRENT M3 at Laguna Seca) and after 3 laps all he could pull was 1.3 seconds?!?

After an embarrassment of EPIC proportions a Gallardo has to go toe to toe with a professionally built race car driven by a professional driver??? This is pitiful, even for that fat comedian. This is FACE PALM style idiocracy.

Will I continue to watch, yes. Why? Because American racing television is THAT bad. A drug addict still needs his fix...even if it's half baking soda. ;)

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
2/22/13 9:35 p.m.

Just watched that episode taking it in lightheartedly. A show for the general masses... what would anyone expect

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
2/23/13 7:53 a.m.

Saw part of it on TV last night at Kelly's Tavern with some buddies. The volume was down, but from across the room I saw the specs on the 98 BMW M3-apparently it has a V6. Stupid rednecks....

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
2/23/13 8:28 a.m.
toyzforme wrote: There was a guy there that I knew from autocrossing and he got lucky enough to go up against some of those guys. He was driving a red RX-7 third gen with a V-8 swap and he did pretty good but finally got beat. He wanted to tell us more about the show but was under obligation not to talk about the show until after it aired. I can't wait to see his episode.

if it was the one that was on the show last night, he got dq'd ... since it wasn't an "import" anymore ....

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
2/23/13 8:30 a.m.
BillHowell wrote: DRVHTDR, It wouldn't be much of a show if we had stock 60's cars running again track cars, who would watch that? It would be pretty boring too if we had stock 60's cars running stock 70's foreign cars. The imports, pretty much every one that showed up, were found on SCCA or local track forums. Most had roll cages, and were track prepped. The muscle cars mostly came from people involved in the protouring scene and familiar with the American Street Car Series. I own a stock 69 Mach 1, no way would I put that on the track, for my safety and others, it wouldn't be practical. This show, like any other show on the tube, will not be for everyone, but it is true racing, no games there, and entertaining at the same time. Instead of dogging it before you see it, why don't you wait and watch it first? Also, remember this is a TV show, not NASA and not SCCA. I have been to both for track days and if you have too, that would make for boring TV.

ok ... I've watched it ... can I dog it now ... what a load of bull E36 M3

DRTHVDR
DRTHVDR New Reader
2/23/13 9:56 a.m.
sethmeister4 wrote: Saw part of it on TV last night at Kelly's Tavern with some buddies. The volume was down, but from across the room I saw the specs on the 98 BMW M3-apparently it has a V6. Stupid rednecks....

Exactly. Not all 6 cylinder engines are V's. Some of the most basic parts of car knowledge and they can't get that right. Is America's viewing public THAT ignorant? I think so. I bet no one at the bar noticed the mistake, sethmeister4.

DRTHVDR
DRTHVDR New Reader
2/23/13 10:06 a.m.

I actually laughed at the FAT driver of the Boss 302 trying to 'cross over'. He had to shuffle his hands! And his huge stomach got in the way. Then the driver of the Fairlane had similar issues.

Why does a V-8 in a Mazda CEASE to make it an 'import'? If a car makes 400 hp and 400 lbs. of tq. with a rotary or a pushrod V-8 it's the same power. I built my own LS3 RX-7 3rd gen. ( Photo's https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4177256509297.181424.1220900926&type=3 ) ( quick video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2rNIAoOhkU ) And it still handles like it did before the swap. It sounds like they didn't want to get spanked by an LSX-7.

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
2/23/13 11:50 a.m.

it was their way of getting rid of a car that was well driven, and was as fast/faster that theirs were ... just a continuing stacking of the deck ... as he said, it's his money, his rules

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
2/23/13 12:33 p.m.

Jon Reep said there is a Lamborghini vs musclecar somewhere in the future so the whole $ thing is bull. I didn't watch it because I refuse to pay to watch tv but I would have if I were somewhere that has speed. I would have watched it for "entertainment value"; because, well it's TV!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
2/23/13 3:15 p.m.
DRTHVDR wrote:
sethmeister4 wrote: Saw part of it on TV last night at Kelly's Tavern with some buddies. The volume was down, but from across the room I saw the specs on the 98 BMW M3-apparently it has a V6. Stupid rednecks....
Exactly. Not all 6 cylinder engines are V's. Some of the most basic parts of car knowledge and they can't get that right. Is America's viewing public THAT ignorant? I think so. I bet no one at the bar noticed the mistake, sethmeister4.

Yeah, my buddies aren't the car guy that I am, so they didn't notice except for I was practically yelling at the TV for it. Oh, and those specs were on the screen as the engine shot of the lovely inline 6 popped up. Like I said, stupid rednecks...it's like the hosts/director/creators of the show are proud of their ignorance and stupidity. But, I guess if I had cable I would watch it just out of curiosity-sort of like a car wreck, you just can't look away. :-)

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/23/13 8:09 p.m.

I missed it, I'll watch on the 25th before I pass judgement.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ATjY1Us3X3A97CqavkGazp48HgvnBLYp0tW3dPWsTyNSvyJiMNlmhoLLCACjb099