1 2
Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
10/5/24 4:29 p.m.

I once did 32 point bys (I counted in the video) in a 25 minute session. It wasn't even an issue. When you are in a slow car there is plenty of mental energy left over.

The intermediate group only allows passing on the straights so there isn't a lot to manage.

At SCCA time trials the Adv/inter group has open passing and I got passed by 22 cars. Again it is not an issue.

Even in a novice group it isn't an issue because most groups only allow passing on the straights.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/24 5:17 p.m.
johndej said:

If you're in West Virginia, take it to summit point to run on Shenandoah circuit. Should be perfect technical track without the long straights to get blown up on.

That's definitely going to be part of the shakedown routine, given how close I am to Summit Point.

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
10/5/24 6:50 p.m.

A few years ago at Heartland Park I overheard a cornerworker's radio "Did I just see a Mini pass a 911 down the straight?"

It was my buddies Honda D series Vtec powered Mini Pup (135hp at the flywheel), but yes he did!

Also, today at Hallett.......

https://youtu.be/2CVd6no91PY

the 881 car turned a 1:28 something

Depends on how crazy you want to get but A series Minis can be made to go scary fast with a judicious application of money and talent.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/24 7:00 p.m.

In reply to MiniDave :

I can see talent being an issue

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
10/5/24 7:07 p.m.

Well, consider this - I ran a 1999 Saturn coupe (SC1, not even a 2) on 4 of the hardest Craigslist tires I've ever seen at Watkins Glen at a NASA HPDE, and I was NOT the slowest car or driver out there......I don't know how many pointbys I did but it did seem like I spent more time looking in the mirrors and frantically waving my arm out the window than steering.....but I still had a ball! And I don't think anyone was seriously inconvenienced by my driving. My instructor seemed to think I was doing just fine.....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
syV7ggvsOELBd4hmqqF5bKjnvSLwDIFzWHVCWWczUFF6OawkEIlDNFfVi71HBZ3f