1 2 3
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
3/11/15 9:44 a.m.

Dude. Read the drivabeater thread before dumping any more money. Get out while you still can. It's a slippery slope down from here. ..

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
3/11/15 9:58 a.m.

Nice score for a great price!! That would be $20K at a Barrett Jackson auction. (Of course I am exaggerating but not by much!)

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
3/11/15 10:02 a.m.
yupididit wrote: Wow every Chevelle I see at that price has no motor, trans, interior, and needs paint.

And 90% of "Chevelle"s these days are actually base a malibu....

I owned half a '66 327/4sp car back in high school.....my friend and I pulled it out from behind a barn for $250 each. Solid chassis that needed painted. That's the car we dragged with the low budget/built on a dirt floor 383 and 377 sbc builds.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/11/15 10:09 a.m.

That is a screaming deal---congrats! My first car was a 66 Chevelle ( 283 powerglide) so I've always had a soft spot for these. Pretty basic cars with fantastic parts availability.

Check out the Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge, and the Motorstate Challenge for Pro Touring ideas--- if you decide to go that route. Chris Jacobs and his wife have built a couple of beautiful (and functional) Pro Touring 66 Chevelles.

Not Chris's car, but For inspiration----

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/11/15 10:45 a.m.

Nice! I wouldn't have been able to get the six grand out of my pocket fast enough.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/11/15 11:36 a.m.
JacktheRiffer wrote: That is alot of car for 6k. Nice score!

Yeah, suddenly I don't feel so bad about the bargain I gave Curtis on the Le Mans a couple months ago. Nice car! 1967 really was a pinnacle year in automotive design, both domestically, and abroad.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/11/15 11:56 a.m.

I don't know what the rest of these posters are talking about $6k is too much. But you sound like a really good guy and I hate seeing good people suffer. I'll tell you what. I'll give you $6k and get you out of that situation.......

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
3/11/15 12:26 p.m.

Nice score! Looks like a perfect starting point for pretty much any direction you want to take it. And the bench/manual combo is so choice.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
3/11/15 12:37 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Dude. Read the drivabeater thread before dumping any more money. Get out while you still can. It's a slippery slope down from here. ..

I agree, I am kind of thinking of doing a budget pro touring build if that is even possible. I have been plotting my course of action and I am going to start out by sitting down and assessing what needs immediate attention. I am thinking, change the fluids, put some non dry rotted tires on it and drive it like it is for a bit.

As far as performance stuff is concerned I am going to probably install a set of shocks (yet undetermined what brand), a jeep grand cherokee steering box (almost a direct bolt on, and much faster ratio) and do a front disc conversion (as of yet undecided which one).

Rupert
Rupert Dork
3/11/15 12:54 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3:Sounds like a plan! Just don't do the boring crate motor thing! There is nothing wrong with spiffing up the motor you have. With a crate motor, it's just yet another resto-ride.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
3/11/15 1:05 p.m.

I need to make sure this one is healthy it smokes a little on start up but not while its running. No plans for a crate motor, if I were to swap it I would buy a crashed Z28 or TransAm as a donor.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
3/11/15 1:05 p.m.

Budget pro-touring is what im all about. Im sitting at almost 11k, but mine was almost 4k and a hell of a lot rougher than yours when I started.

Done the jgc swap and ls1 discs. Used hotchkis springs and bilstienshocks. FFantastic car.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
3/11/15 1:14 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Did you use the FCD Bilstiens? What master cylinder are you using with the LS1 discs?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
3/11/15 1:18 p.m.

Using s10 blazer shocks. And a stock ls1 master with an s10 booster and chevelle brackets.

The drivabeater thread is over in the build threads section. Has all my sources and prices. Get a cup of coffee. Its a long read.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
3/11/15 1:20 p.m.

I need to calm down, I have been looking at crashed F-bodys on copart. I haven't even got it in my possession yet.

Kramer
Kramer Dork
3/11/15 1:27 p.m.

Google "Tom Farrington Chevelle". Try not to get too excited. FYI--Tom recently bought a cheap Miata for a track toy...

Joe Gearin wrote: For inspiration----
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
3/11/15 1:28 p.m.

Yup. Slow down. Read. Get it in your possession. Drive it a little. Then make major changes.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
3/11/15 2:16 p.m.

In reply to Kramer:

I already have a cheap track toy as well, this will be more of a weekend cruiser...

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/11/15 2:26 p.m.

well that gets the green eyed monster going..

Great score. Very happy for you.

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
3/11/15 5:30 p.m.

He actually dropped it off today. So I am just waiting on the title which I will get when I get back from Tennessee.

Here is the engine, it has a Holley Carb and an aftermarket Distributor. You guys are totally jealous of the engine dress up kit Fires right up, no smoke today, maybe last time it had sat for awhile...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
3/11/15 5:34 p.m.

Am jealous of the valve covers. ..

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
3/11/15 5:37 p.m.

Some rust in the panel behind the rear window and on the edge of the trunk lid.

One of the headlights is different...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
3/11/15 5:40 p.m.

Original paint?

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
3/11/15 5:47 p.m.

The seat isn't original, as far as I can tell they did not come with headrests or an armrest. I am scared to look under the batting on the floor. I will wait till next week for that.

The door panels are nice...

pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
3/11/15 5:50 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Original paint?

No, I wish. It has a terrible paint job that only looks good in pictures. I am going to deal with it right now because it looks fine from 15 feet away. I figure I will get it mechanically squared away before I go down that rabbit hole...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wrrJRcoJPbaAfmEHDpA3YMkEVo2gouc2NmMOxJa4H6gu9VqcQpiD32knhh0m4WCb