racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
3/6/15 2:25 p.m.

So after careful consideration, I finally bought a new 2015 BRZ as a daily driver / autocross car. The 370Z has now moved on to a new life with someone else.

This isn't the exact car, but it looks just like this. Since we've had ice for the last two days, it's been hibernating in the garage.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
3/6/15 2:35 p.m.

Nicely done!

Build thread

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
3/6/15 2:35 p.m.

Cool, care to post more about your decision?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/6/15 2:50 p.m.

Congrats! What led you to the BRZ instead of the FR-S? Dealer proximity? Price? Trim levels? Colors? Badge cachet? Inquiring minds want to know....

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/6/15 3:06 p.m.

Congrats & welcome to the Frisbee Club! I picked up a used 2013 FR-S about a month ago. Really enjoying it so far even though it is still stock.

TGMF
TGMF New Reader
3/6/15 3:08 p.m.

Love those cars, but I'm curious why you'd switch from a 370Z to a BRZ? Seems like you had a similar setup, with far far more power. Just time for something different? My local Toyota dealer has still has several new 14 FRS's, I was almost tempted to make them a low ball offer.

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/6/15 3:22 p.m.

In reply to TGMF:

I know you were asking the OP about the switch from the Z, but I have sort of done the same thing. I bought a used 350z 5 years ago & my wife has been driving it for the last 4.5 years. The Z is a great car, but I felt it was underwhelming and as a DD I never felt like I was able to use anything near the car's capability on the street without taking great risks. With the extra weight the 350z has over the FR-S the power difference doesn't seem significant. I haven't looked at lb/hp charts but I'd bet they are closer than expected (at least for the 350z maybe not the 370z). The 350z isn't in the same category as a V-8 powered pony-car so it isn't fun in that way and it doesn't have the "drive a slow car fast" entertainment value either so it's kind of in a middle ground "purgatory" from my perspective. Of course, in 6 months I may feel the same about my FR-S...

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
3/6/15 4:02 p.m.
TGMF wrote: Love those cars, but I'm curious why you'd switch from a 370Z to a BRZ? Seems like you had a similar setup, with far far more power. Just time for something different? My local Toyota dealer has still has several new 14 FRS's, I was almost tempted to make them a low ball offer.

It is quite funny how the gear-head community can define and compare all attributes of a vehicle based on HP.

I drive in a world where the average person takes six seconds to get though an intersection when the light turns green in front of them. And yet we insist as car enthusiast that cars need to have more HP.

The reason for driving the FRS is the driving. Few other cars I have been in give me the feeling that I am driving something with special vehicle dynamics ALL THE TIME.

Yes I can stop on the loud pedal of the 370Z, Camaro, Mustang or Corvette and unleash furry on earth, but I don't do that very often.

Yes I can get no end of other cars around a racetrack faster than the FRS will get around the same track. But I don't drive on a track very often.

What the FRS does ALL THE TIME is feel like a light car; because it is. Being a light vehicle in turn makes it feel nimble and responsive at the steering wheel; that is a good thing.

The car has a lot of gears and a reasonable torque curve, this helps make the car feel faster than it is, as long as you don't mind shifting. And since shifting makes a man feel more manly, who can argue?

So the bottom line is that the FRS is an engaging and entertaining place to spend otherwise boring time as you go about your normal driving chores. Not a bad thing. The fact that it does not eat through consumables such as gas, tires and insurance is a bonus.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
3/6/15 6:13 p.m.

I choose the BRZ over the FRS mainly because the dealer worked more on price. Our local Scion dealer still thinks they are in high demand and marks them up somewhat, no discount at all for sure. It would have taken $2k more to get an equal Scion. I also liked my sales woman. She was knowledgeable and never told me anything that wasn't true. Not all dealers can say that.

To the other question. A little background. I got rid of an '08 Mustang GT to get the 370Z. I never warmed up the Mustang, it simply didn't drive very good and although I like muscle cars, I bore of them quickly. So, I bought the 370. I do really like them. My biggest issue is it started have problems, and it needed new tires every year at $1,400 a pop for a decent set. If it were race tires, that would be one thing, but street tires need to last longer than 15k miles. And although I loved the hp, it doesn't drive as well overall as the BRZ. It is much nicer inside however, and there are plenty of things to miss about it.

In the end, I wanted to go back autocrossing, and I didn't want the expense the 370Z would have needed to do the same job. Everything about the BRZ is just that much less expensive.

Plus it has something the 370Z seems to lack, it just feels special every time you drive it. The 370Z is a fun, very fast, hot rod. I compare it to driving a 911 in that while still fun, you have to pay attention at all times. It has a fine window between driving it well and making you look like an idiot. The clutch in particular is almost impossible to master and be smooth.

Comparatively, the BRZ feels a lot like my R53 Cooper S, and I mean that in a good way. They both leaving you smiling after a drive. Or I look at it this way, if my 370Z and Cooper S had a kid, it would be the BRZ/FRS.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
3/6/15 6:28 p.m.

In reply to secretariat, the 370Z was a supremely quick car. It wasn't that long ago you'd have to have picked up a Ferrari or Porsche turbo to produce the same numbers. A huge smoky burnout was only a traction control defeat away, and go to jail speeds were insanely easy to reach, even on a daily commute to work. The fear of losing my license was part of my decision. I've had other fast cars in the past, including said Porsche turbo above, and I always end up back with a lower hp car. Everyone has their own favorites, but to me, a lower hp, great driving car is always more entertaining for what I need.

I will say this, I've had a lot of cars, and there weren't many that drew as many stares and comments as the 370. Women in particular loved it, or at least the color. Once a week one would stop me in the parking lot to say something about it. Kids loved it too, and it didn't hurt that it looked like a giant Hot Wheels.

TGMF
TGMF New Reader
3/6/15 6:37 p.m.

Thankyou for the response, I asked why you switched mostly because I've been tempted as of late to swap out my own 350z for something different. I've had it 5 years now and the itch is back. The remaining stock 2014's FRS tempted me. Having not actually driven them much I wondered what motivated someone in similar situation to pull the trigger. The use able near its limits on the street is exactly what makes it tempting. But then... I am something of a child, and I do enjoy powaaar. So many choices! At any rate, its a damn cool little car, hope you enjoy it! Edit- I can attest, the Z does chew through tires just about every year. I am looking for my spring set now actually.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
3/6/15 6:42 p.m.

I hope so too!

I should add that I was also shopping late model 3 Series, new Cooper S, and Miatas. It was the Frisbee thread last month that put me back at the Subaru / Scion dealers. It turns out I was one of the guys bitching about not having a great handling coupe on the market before these came out, and thought maybe I'd give them a second look. This time I took it for an extended test drive with a lot of curves. It makes a difference!

That and I wanted to start autcrossing again and I wanted a fun car that could be competitive. The driver will have had a 10 year layoff and will probably suck.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
3/7/15 1:29 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Congrats! What led you to the BRZ instead of the FR-S? Dealer proximity? Price? Trim levels? Colors? Badge cachet? Inquiring minds want to know....

I can say I picked the BRZ over the FR-S because of the nicer interior in the BRZ Limited.

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
3/7/15 10:26 p.m.

When some asks why a twin over a 370Z...I always point them to this video:

GT86 vs 370Z vs Cayman

Congratulations on the purchase, my coworker just purchase a '15 WRB limited with the STi package (front spoiler and side skirts). Need to clean my FRS so we can take a photo together...

One thing I'd recommend to make the steering even better is replacing the spongey factory bushings that allow the steering rack to move all over the place with some autocross legal solid two-piece Delrin ones... inexpensive and easy mod that you will never want to go back to the stock setup with.

I wanted a WRB BRZ when they were about to first come out, but availability and price difference at the time is why I ended up with the FR-S, along with wanting the more tail happy factory setup.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1st79OtC2pIClXLJtf7HAUhURaQYbg3nXPA4TFhDpnVwc7poeYPFcgZkO5ZiqnvN