1 2
nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
6/26/14 9:35 a.m.
nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
6/26/14 9:37 a.m.

Just plug " van 196* " into the search bar and see what pops up.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
6/26/14 9:44 a.m.

My dad had a fork lift repair business, and after the GMC panel vans were all gone, he switched over to Dodge vans for his service trucks. They were all 225 slant 6 with 3 spd. on the tree. I loved driving those vans. Everything seemed to work just right.

Just like this

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/26/14 3:30 p.m.

I agree. In 1981 when I was in the 5th grade two young ladies in a brand new Z/28 lost control in the turn right above my parents house and hit a circa '68 Chevy van right on the driver's side front corner. They couldn't have been going much over 30. A very "minor" accident and I don't think the Z was even totaled. Well...long story short it pinned the driver's legs and he damned near bled out before they got the Jaws of Life into action. I watched it all unfold before my dad showed up and busted my tail for gawking at an accident scene

nicksta43 wrote: I'm not usually the type to sit and worry about safety. And I do love these old vans but I can't help but shudder when I think about how these things will react in a collision with an modern vehicle. I just don't think it would be very pretty.
nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
6/26/14 4:30 p.m.

Here is a pic of that 4X4 van. This thing looks so beefy.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/26/14 4:44 p.m.
Hasbro wrote: Op, you make me feel so old! They, and newer vans, were all over the place. Partied in many of them in the early 70s. Lots of fun.

Clearly not hard enough, as you still remember them.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/26/14 4:45 p.m.

In reply to Zomby Woof:

Oh the irony.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/14 5:42 p.m.

My dad had a blue and white Chevy. If I remember the story right I may have been conceived in it behind a roller derby in Commack.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/26/14 6:00 p.m.

In reply to Wally:

I have a child whose middle name is "Camino", for reasons that shall remain unexplained.

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
6/27/14 6:36 p.m.

I've seen a couple great Ford Econoline builds in the last few years with the whole patina craze taking off. One of them was laying rockers with airbags and they had fabbed their own entire new floor pan with diamond plate.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/27/14 6:59 p.m.
SVreX wrote: I have a child whose middle name is "Camino", for reasons that shall remain unexplained.

I suggested that we name one of the kids Brunswick.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/27/14 7:07 p.m.

I had a 1966 in the early 70s. Slant six, three on the tree and every time you hit the brakes you thought you were going to fall out the windshield.

Buy one if you can.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
6/27/14 8:38 p.m.
Rad_Capz wrote: My brother has had several of them over the years. This one was his first vehicle when he got his license during the 70's van craze. My cars were the 68 Camaro on the right and the 66 Nova (my beater). Most of those flat nose vans were purchased as work vans and so they led a tough life before the van craze and ya they rusted. Yes, you can put a small block in them. [URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/68%20Camaro/006.jpg.html][/URL]

This picture is so full of pure 1970's win that I don r know what to do with myself. That van is awesome. All the vans in this thread are awesome.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gIKwXWNxoI8RQeXxkCZWLYD5gtV8EftANOblDSkmJSEo4tdjU0YwZtW4zjvsvYjJ