1 2 3 4 5
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/30/15 1:50 p.m.
Dietcoke wrote: 46k for a focus. Yeah, not. If you're excited about this, it's too late for you.

Plenty of people will do it.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
7/30/15 10:28 a.m.

Pricing leaked, looking like $35k base, $42k loaded. About what I expected. As long as the 345 horsies are real and it has the trap times to verify, I'm quite intrigued.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/30/15 10:48 a.m.
yamaha wrote:
PHeller wrote:
yamaha wrote:
singleslammer wrote: Do we have a price yet? I won't be able to afford it at all but want to know anyway.
That's conflicting, I've heard varied 40, 45, & 50k figures thrown about.
You can be a used Z06 and a normal Focus for that kind of money. Yikes. Heck you could almost get a Focus ST + used 400hp STI for that kind of money.
Yea, and $5k bought me a motorcycle with enough power to take a Veyron's lunch money in a straight line and probably whip it silly in corners. That "But you can get xxxx for xxxx" game is played out and pretty pointless. I'd still rather have a gt350, but that's just me. In a local board, best comment thus far was between the STI vs FocusRS......everyone admitted at least the Ford's engine probably wouldn't blow up due to terrible factory design/tuning....

Bikes can't corner faster than cars.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
7/30/15 11:00 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

P1 vs 918 VS Ducati

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/15 12:08 p.m.
yamaha wrote: The new Focus RS that is..... http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/25/ford-focus-rs-345-horsepower-video-official/

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/30/15 2:49 p.m.

Ford RS, Cayman GT4, ND miata

It's a good year for drivers.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
7/30/15 3:26 p.m.

Sweet gobbly gook

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/12/15 12:00 p.m.

Now with 350 HP

http://blog.caranddriver.com/better-and-better-ford-focus-rs-output-revised-upward-yes-again/

Car and Driver said: As the launch date of the 2016 Ford Focus RS nears, we have yet another upward revision of the all-wheel-drive hot hatch’s engine output. Ford is now claiming the turbocharged, intercooled 2.3-liter four will put out 350 horsepower and 350 lb-ft of torque.
Knurled
10/12/15 12:06 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: And the Fiesta RS is not far behind...

Is this conjecture or is there Critical Information that I am unaware of?

Because OMG YES.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
10/12/15 12:36 p.m.

I wonder if there's enough room in the Fiesta for Ford to install the 'big block' 2.3 Liter ecoboost and start a new pony car crazy.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
10/12/15 12:55 p.m.

they are gonna make it hard for me to buy the truck I need in a couple years instead of the RS I want...

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
10/12/15 12:57 p.m.

fiesta rs is the sort of stupid i can get behind

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
10/12/15 1:10 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
pinchvalve wrote: And the Fiesta RS is not far behind...
Is this conjecture or is there Critical Information that I am unaware of? Because OMG YES.

Yes.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
10/12/15 2:00 p.m.

They say they just finished SAE certification, and the numbers came out higher. The torque jumped a bunch, from 325 to 350 ft-lbs.

My lust just got deeper.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/12/15 2:20 p.m.

Now we will see if anyone buys them. Although it's a tasty offering, it's also a premium price for a Focus. It will be interesting to see if U.S. buyers step up to the plate. There's a whole lot of great machinery (that offers more cachet) available in the same price neighborhood.........

V8 Mustang

new (smaller ATS platformed- 300 lbs lighter) V8 Camaro

BMW M235i

WRX-- STI

370Z

It will be interesting to see how the Focus RS does. Yes, if you are looking for a turbocharged- all-wheel drive- rally-car for the street, it narrows your choices. I'm just not sure how many of those folks are out there willing to shell out the cash.

In Europe, where everyone is rally-crazy I can see it. In the U.S. though, rally is about as watched as the WNBA.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
10/12/15 2:38 p.m.

I'll consider it as a replacement for the Evo in a few years, four doors is two too many but offers advantages in headroom and tire hauling.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/12/15 2:42 p.m.
SnowMongoose wrote: I'll consider it as a replacement for the Evo in a few years, four doors is two too many but offers advantages in headroom and tire hauling.

And the excuses start.

Joe- I hope this ins't like the MS Miata, where the internet world demanded one, but nobody ponied up to get one.

(pun intended)

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/12/15 2:53 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
SnowMongoose wrote: I'll consider it as a replacement for the Evo in a few years, four doors is two too many but offers advantages in headroom and tire hauling.
And the excuses start. Joe- I hope this ins't like the MS Miata, where the internet world demanded one, but nobody ponied up to get one. (pun intended)

My concern is no matter how fantastic this car is......it still looks like a Focus, which will turn many drivers off. The "cool" mindset is still strong. A V8 Mustang or Camaro is "cool" and a Focus (no matter how strong) is still a "hatchback economy car" and thusly---- not "cool". This is true at least for the average person on the street.

I can't blame folks--- if you shell out $40K large, I'd want something that turns me on when I "look back" after driving it. For some, the Focus RS will satisfy that urge. For many......it will not.

The fringe enthusiast buyers (you people) are still out there, but how many among us will be willing to shell out mid $40K for a Focus? I suppose the WRX-STI and EVO sold relatively well----- and they weren't great looking cars in the traditional sense, so maybe the Focus has a chance.

I hope so.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/12/15 3:02 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

So many have insisted that we make it. Have to have it.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
10/12/15 3:09 p.m.

I know that my car-shopping brother is pretty much narrowed down to a used Mitsu Evo or new Focus RS.

I think early thirtysomethings who grew up playing Gran Turismo and fantasizing about the Evo and WRX are the target for this car. I don't know if enough of them have $40 large.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
10/12/15 3:15 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

I see where you're coming from, but people still lined up in droves for the WRX & STI.....and that was with a lack of rally coverage.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/12/15 3:23 p.m.

In reply to bastomatic:

Bingo. In many ways, this might actually be MORE desirable than a Mustang or Camaro to a lot of guys in their 20-30s. I also wouldn't undersell the Ken Block influence. Didn't he use some kind of tube framed "Focus" in at least one or two of the gymkhana videos? With all the people I see sporting the Monster/DC Ken Block T shirts, I have no doubt more than a few will be willing to bury themselves in debt forever to buy one.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
10/12/15 3:58 p.m.

I was watching WRC in the early 2000's when they were running the MK1 Focus. I want one of these. There might be enough guys my age who came of age with WRC and Fast and Furious and Sport Compact Car that want these.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/12/15 4:10 p.m.

I'm tempted to go into debt to own one...

Knurled
10/12/15 4:47 p.m.
bastomatic wrote: I think early thirtysomethings who grew up playing Gran Turismo and fantasizing about the Evo and WRX are the target for this car. I don't know if enough of them have $40 large.

The only thing making me not seriously think about dumping all of my current cars (well, except the RX-7) and plunking down money + payments on a Focus RS, is the possibility of a Fiesta RS. Even if the Fiesta RS is "only" front drive.

I know two people who are already committed to buying an RS, they're thirty-somethings. We're the freakin' demographic for this car. Mustangs are seen as old-fart cars like Corvettes, now.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ab7hwhMjA1EDmKqxsZSaiUwgnLeQcbGpJmd3IQhvGTdE3EhLe0q8pbUeMODr8SH4