1 2
singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
3/18/15 12:02 p.m.

So I was researching engine parts (and posted here) over the last week for my stock 352 in my Galaxie. The FE motors seem to have a decent following and be an alright motor out of the box. There are some issues with them though. #1 is that it is 50 years old and really showing its age. It could use a rebuild and some new parts. This would probably cost a few grand and I would still only have (at most) 300hp out of a motor the weighs as much as the moon and gets 12 mpgs. I have wanted to install an OD auto and fuel injection but this would cost another $2-3k. At this point I was contemplating blasphemy (LS motor) just do to cheap, reliable horsepower. It would be a breeze (comparatively) to install. Then I ran across the Ford 6.2L Boss V8 in the Raptor and other F series trucks. They look to be going for LS prices (sometimes less) and were in ALL the gasser F250s from 2011-14. Power is 385-411hp and it is a SOHC motor AL heads and an FE block. Probably should weigh about what a similar Mod motor does (high 600s) and save my car a few hundred pounds up front. Info is thin but it "appears" that most of the Mod motor ECUs and harnesses will work with a tune or I can have the stock unit reflashed. The stock trans (6R140) is overkill so I am thinking about a 6r80 available in most RWD Fords in the last 6+ years with 6 gears. I would really like to grab an entire wrecked F250 2wd (might just use the stock trans then) and take it all for the Galaxie. The motor should fit easily enough, the trans might require some BFH action. As usual, wiring is the scary part. What does the hive mind think?

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls UltraDork
3/18/15 12:08 p.m.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
3/18/15 12:19 p.m.

Knowing nothing relevant to this endeavor, I think it's a fantastic idea.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
3/18/15 12:26 p.m.

Boss Galaxie

I likes it

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
3/18/15 12:28 p.m.

I like this idea, too. The FE engine is OK, but is heavy, as you noted, plus the pushrods go through the intake manifold, which is very odd. You can make that 352 into a 410 stroker with all Ford parts, by the way.

Anyway, I have no instructional help, but fully support the modern Ford motor idea.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
3/18/15 12:52 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

I remember reading about how to do that but am back at the issue of what is my best bang for buck. I REALLY want to get a better trans and FI and the FE is just too old to be well supported (it is supported by a very few manufacturers) in those areas. I considered a 460 swap but that doesn't excite me and weighs as much or more than an FE.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
3/18/15 12:57 p.m.

I get it, do you spend $10K on a sweet FE 410 making 400 hp, or do you spend "?" on a tank, fuel pump, ECU, wiring to support an off-the-shelf modern Ford making the same power.

I'd do it. I don't have the cash to do either though.

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
3/18/15 2:09 p.m.

Sounds like a pretty good compromise. I know nothing about etiher motor to have an opinion though.

What about the older 5.4L truck and SUV motors? Is there enough of a following for performance parts to make them fun? Seems like you could yank one from an older F-150, Explorer, Navigator, etc. for cheaper.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
3/18/15 2:50 p.m.

In reply to Contradiction:

There is some following but the 6.2L is cheap enough that there isn't much reason to run one of the older motors. The 6.2L fixed a lot of the issues that were present on the 5.4L trucks and added 100 hp.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
3/18/15 3:00 p.m.

Wouldn't a 5.0 liter be a cheap solution here?

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
3/18/15 3:14 p.m.

Slightly cheaper but not enough for me to consider. I am assuming that you mean a 5.0l coyote engine not a 302. I am not doing an engine swap to something with basically the same tech level AND 50 less CI. I have considered a 351 but if I do that, might as well do a 460 and then see above. Meh...

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
3/18/15 3:43 p.m.

This is why I think that getting the 6.2 makes sense

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231470352191?item=231470352191&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&rmvSB=true

That is a complete take out with transmission (4wd without transfer case though) shipped for $3700. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
3/18/15 3:51 p.m.

Oh man, that gives me all kinds of bad ideas.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
3/18/15 3:52 p.m.

Most of them involved a 240DL.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
3/18/15 3:53 p.m.

It is still a big ass OHC v8 but it is smaller than a DOHC Mod motor. That works fine for me and my 18 foot car though.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
3/18/15 6:22 p.m.

For what you seem to want it sounds like a good idea. I myself would lean towards a 460 but I also have no desire for fuel injection. What about the 3 valve 5.4 and forced induction

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
3/18/15 6:34 p.m.

As long as you're sure the engine bay is wide enough, go for it.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
3/18/15 6:37 p.m.

From what I have seen, the 6.2l is better in just about way other than low end torque. The 6.2 revs better and I "believe" has a stronger bottom end. Boost is totally possible.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
3/18/15 6:53 p.m.

I think I got plenty of space

Dirty but wide!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
3/18/15 7:13 p.m.

I'd measure first. Old push rod V8s are narrower than they look and modern OHC V8s are wider than they look.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
3/18/15 7:16 p.m.

room shouldn't be an issue, you can stand next to a 460 in the engine bay of a galaxy and a foxbody can clear the sohc versions with the stock strut towers.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
3/18/15 7:33 p.m.

Yeah, I think that I am fine

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/525226-new-5-0-into-67-galalxie.html

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
3/18/15 9:04 p.m.

Been following along since I've thought about putting a 32v mod motor into my 78 Colony Park. I like the concept, should be lots of fun.

Of course on the flip side of the coin another GRMer sent me this tonite. That would be a little fun too.

http://york.craigslist.org/pts/4935471551.html

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
3/18/15 9:08 p.m.

Yeah, that would be pretty awesome too (or maybe find a 428 but that has the same basic issues as my 352). The more I think on this, the better I like it. I will probably just keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on a wreck truck in the midwest and start this process at that time.

I bet these guys could turn off all the theft stuff and ECM extras I don't need on the stock unit.

http://www.5startuning.com/got-a-6-2l-v8-raptor/

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
3/19/15 1:06 a.m.
singleslammer wrote: Yeah, I think that I am fine http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/galaxie-pages/525226-new-5-0-into-67-galalxie.html

That's amazing, but holy bajeezus, that has to be an expensive swap at the moment.

I admire your gusto in looking for something different, singleslammer. Looking forward to seeing the project develop.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dMdKZBPQCuSbUbL6Y9WpWm3wqsIkKxhWpm3zP4AVrN4ugtVkMorVvgRmzCE7izow