1 2
Ian F
Ian F Dork
8/26/10 12:14 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: I'm hoping an E30 325is is "close enough" since they can be had for Miata money. Right now it's the most likely candidate for my next toy.

In all honesty, I wish I'd bought a Miata instead of the E30 and let my g/f be pissed off at me...

Maybe I'm spoiled from 7 years with MINI's, but I don't really get the whole E30 thing...

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/26/10 1:17 p.m.
Ian F wrote: In all honesty, I wish I'd bought a Miata instead of the E30 and let my g/f be pissed off at me...

Trade ya?

Ian F
Ian F Dork
8/26/10 1:35 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
Ian F wrote: In all honesty, I wish I'd bought a Miata instead of the E30 and let my g/f be pissed off at me...
Trade ya?

Oh... the thought has crossed my mind... but it seems like I'm stuck with this car for at least a year or two... Does kinda depress me... since for the same money I could have bought a decent STS prepped NA Miata. I bought the car mainly for auto-x, but neglected to do the research before hand to find out E30's aren't really the best auto-x cars (poor steering ratio and crappy tire choices unless you're willing to cut up the fenders for DSP). Unfortunately, my g/f doesn't seem to understand that, nor does she give a crap about auto-x. As far as she's concerned, buying a car is long term commitment...

At least the insurance is cheap (classic car insurance).

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
8/26/10 1:50 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: This'll probably get me banned, but after a year of ownership, I've determined that, for me, the answer is not Miata. It's too small, too cramped, too slow, and find I don't have much use for a 2-seater (I have young kids) or a convertible top (seems like it's always either too hot or too cold). The older I get, the more I care about comfort. And my commute is almost 100% freeway and all I want to do is be able to hear the radio. Or it could just by my ADD kicking in.

Part for challenge kind of price?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/26/10 1:58 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Part for challenge kind of price?

Nah, it's worth a fair bit more than that, sorry Eric. I'll probably hang onto it through the winter anyhow so I can finish out the autocross season, and there's not much point in trying to sell a Miata around here in the fall.

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
8/26/10 2:12 p.m.

The answer is always "Miata."

Q. I need a car that seats four.

A. Buy two Miatas.

I own two now - the Primary Miata that is now the SSM racecar after serving as my only transportation for 150,000 of the 240,000 miles on it (also known as "The Mistress In The Garage") and the street Miata, purchased because I missed being able to drive one on a daily basis. Both are '90's, the racecar being a really early smoothcase version from the sixth or seventh week of production.

My wife likes the car too, but won't let me get a plate for it that reads "PRTSCAR"!

monark192
monark192 Reader
8/26/10 3:04 p.m.
wreckerboy wrote: The answer is always "Miata." Q. I need a car that seats four. A. Buy two Miatas. I own two now - the Primary Miata that is now the SSM racecar after serving as my only transportation for 150,000 of the 240,000 miles on it (also known as "The Mistress In The Garage") and the street Miata, purchased because I missed being able to drive one on a daily basis. Both are '90's, the racecar being a really early smoothcase version from the sixth or seventh week of production. My wife likes the car too, but won't let me get a plate for it that reads "PRTSCAR"!

I also now own two Miatas. The 91 track car and the recently added 2000 driver Sorry for the crappy sellers Craigslist pic - came with a hard top and only 43k miles.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
8/26/10 9:10 p.m.

Get this sticker.

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
8/26/10 10:10 p.m.
CLynn85 wrote: Found a 99 with ~106k locally that the owner had a fair price on, but out of my reach, and after a half hour of just chatting about things other than the car, ended up at a screamin good deal, so I couldn't say no. After getting it cleaned up I took it for an extended test drive up to Katie's Cars & Coffee in Great Falls, VA. I strongly recommend anyone local to the DC area check it out, more pics here: http://lynnphotos.smugmug.com/Events

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for it? I also live in the DMV area and will be in the market for a 99 - 00 Miata as soon as I can sell my 01 330Ci. I am also looking for a dedicated fun car, mostly autocross and a few track days here and there. Thanks.

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
8/27/10 6:20 a.m.
ea_sport wrote:
CLynn85 wrote: Found a 99 with ~106k locally that the owner had a fair price on, but out of my reach, and after a half hour of just chatting about things other than the car, ended up at a screamin good deal, so I couldn't say no. After getting it cleaned up I took it for an extended test drive up to Katie's Cars & Coffee in Great Falls, VA. I strongly recommend anyone local to the DC area check it out, more pics here: http://lynnphotos.smugmug.com/Events
Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for it? I also live in the DMV area and will be in the market for a 99 - 00 Miata as soon as I can sell my 01 330Ci. I am also looking for a dedicated fun car, mostly autocross and a few track days here and there. Thanks.

I ended up getting it for $3k. He had $4300 on it and after the course of chatting with him for half an hour or so, HE dropped the price 4 times, eventually ending up there, I didn't push it any farther. Guess for whatever reason he just took a liking to us, I took it as a sign and said yes. I was looking for a dingy beater in the 2500 range and this is definitely several steps above that, so I think I made out pretty well. It doesn't have the torsen, but I can live with that for a while.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
8/27/10 6:35 a.m.
Ian F wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote:
Trade ya?
Oh... the thought has crossed my mind... but it seems like I'm stuck with this car for at least a year or two... Does kinda depress me... since for the same money I could have bought a decent STS prepped NA Miata. I bought the car mainly for auto-x, but neglected to do the research before hand to find out E30's aren't really the best auto-x cars (poor steering ratio and crappy tire choices unless you're willing to cut up the fenders for DSP). Unfortunately, my g/f doesn't seem to understand that, nor does she give a crap about auto-x. As far as she's concerned, buying a car is long term commitment... At least the insurance is cheap (classic car insurance).

Your girlfriend should be looking at you as a long term commitment. I'd find a new girlfriend.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
8/27/10 8:31 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: Your girlfriend should be looking at you as a long term commitment. I'd find a new girlfriend.

She does... but for those of you who pine for a girlfriend who is into cars, be carefull what you wish for.... the grass ain't always greener...

Duke
Duke SuperDork
8/27/10 8:40 a.m.
CLynn85 wrote:
ea_sport wrote: Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for it? I also live in the DMV area and will be in the market for a 99 - 00 Miata as soon as I can sell my 01 330Ci. I am also looking for a dedicated fun car, mostly autocross and a few track days here and there. Thanks.
I ended up getting it for $3k. He had $4300 on it and after the course of chatting with him for half an hour or so, HE dropped the price 4 times, eventually ending up there, I didn't push it any farther.

When I first read this, I thought it referred to the red 43k '00 up there... glad to hear it actually referred to a car closer to the one I just bought in age and mileage ('96 with 108k).

DrFeelgood
DrFeelgood New Reader
8/27/10 8:44 a.m.

super nice cars, would love to own a Miata

deadmeat
deadmeat New Reader
8/28/10 1:36 a.m.

Never seen so many guys "come out of the closet" on a car forum ;)

I've had a Miata for 7 some-odd years now. I've had as many as 8 at one point.

A great car, and easy to maintain. Hit up MiataTurbo.net and grab a used turbo kit and help it get out of its own way on the straights.

Also, $3k is an awesome price for a '99.

m_walker26
m_walker26 New Reader
8/30/10 12:13 p.m.

Yeah, I was shy of Miatas until I found this one in a junkyard for $300.00. Was my entry in 2010 Challenge until "we" (SWMBO) decided to protest this year. Bonus find was that the engine was from Jasper and only has 11,000 miles. Left side fenders have damage. Runs fine.

Quote is "I've driven a lot worse"

Mark Walker

bentvalve
bentvalve New Reader
8/30/10 4:50 p.m.

302 miata. who needs factory 5?

TucoRamirez
TucoRamirez Reader
8/30/10 5:40 p.m.

I wish I would have said "Miata is the answer" when my mom asked if I was gay. Next time the question comes up...

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
8/30/10 5:59 p.m.

So, when's it getting an LS9?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5gXRypOkbJ2VQ3KSid5D3cAHq6VNcGtcexAbVnZuKZJ5RHKZubdCejTjXC7apVG6