1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/19/08 7:57 p.m.

When you post refreshes and kicks you to the top of the page not to the bottom where you post is. Not mission critical but annoying just the same.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/19/08 8:18 p.m.

Inserting images and URLs is ....well...... a real PITA. I absolutely hate it. Why no mater where I put the cursor in a post it will always put the photo at the bottom? I also don't like the new way you have to reference a image or URL? Why was this changed? Is it a new standard? I have never seen this on any other boards I visit.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/19/08 8:34 p.m.

There's at least three different ways to insert images and links. I'm sure one of them will work for you.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
5/19/08 10:57 p.m.

never mind

bluej
bluej New Reader
5/20/08 7:39 a.m.

not something that is super critical, but is there a plan for alternate board schemes? like the old board had a default like this i believe but then there was also a grey/gold and grey/blue. i loved that grey blue scheme. just curious if that is in the works at all.

NutDriverLefty
NutDriverLefty New Reader
5/20/08 8:01 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: Can the text size on the posts be upped one size?

I'm totally on board with this one. In fact, how about just changing the text sizes to percentages based on the size I chose when I configured my browser?

dean1484 wrote: Can we have the option to not use this font?

I'm on board here, too. Like maybe using "serif" and "sans-serif" and letting the fonts I configured for the browser to keep working for me.

Duke
Duke Dork
5/20/08 9:03 a.m.

In addition to a navigation tree at the bottom of each page of posts, can we PLEASE pretty please have a "New Posts" link to take us to the first post in each thread since your last visit? This is pretty common on most board software.

Also, in Firefox, highlighting a piece of text and applying the formatting buttons no longer works as it should. Instead of just enclosing whatever you highlighted in the appropriate tags, it now just replaces whatever you highlighted with the tags themselves.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
5/20/08 9:04 a.m.
Duke wrote: In addition to a navigation tree at the bottom of each page of posts, can we [b]PLEASE[/b] pretty please have a "New Posts" link to take us to the first post in each thread since your last visit? This is pretty common on most board software.

+1

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/20/08 9:10 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
Duke wrote: In addition to a navigation tree at the bottom of each page of posts, can we [b]PLEASE[/b] pretty please have a "New Posts" link to take us to the first post in each thread since your last visit? This is pretty common on most board software.
+1

There are at least 4 different ways to see the newest/latest/last posts. There's also a handy feature to vote posts up.

Duke
Duke Dork
5/20/08 9:12 a.m.

I just figured about clicking the star, but that seems to take me to the top of the page that the new post is on, rather than the post itself. But I'm glad to see that it's in there. Getting it tuned right is a minor technicality if the engine is at least running! :nice:

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 Dork
5/20/08 9:27 a.m.

The new GRM front page asks me to log in, and after doing so, still says "log in" :nice: The board/forum front page recognizes me as being logged in just fine.

Edit: OK, clarification... after navigating away then back, it recognizes me... just not right after logging in...

slefain
slefain Dork
5/20/08 12:52 p.m.

For some odd reason now, the * Latest Topics * New Topics * Watched * Your Posts * Top Rated * Expand All links are all on the left with nothing under them, and the posts are crowded to right right, but only sometimes. And sometimes the posts get shoved into a column about 1" wide on the right side of the main window.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/20/08 1:52 p.m.

being able to add individual back issues to your shopping cart is broken. i get the 404 page when i try to do so. and i really want a few more of the one with my car in it.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
5/20/08 2:16 p.m.

Perhaps this is GRM strategery, perhaps it's already been addressed, but if not here are some things I'm noticing:

• No signature or avatar control. It doesn't look like we can even use signatures, but on many other forums you have the ability to have them in your profile, and you can also turn them off if you don't want to see them. We had the avatar control in the old board but I can't find it in the settings now. I prefer not to see avatars. I miss signatures, it's really handy to know what people drive when they're making comments, giving advice, etc. A single line (text only) for a signature would be really appreciated, and giving people the option to display it or ignore it would keep things slim for those who prefer it that way. Location is also really handy, I miss that as well. Perhaps there could be something to indicate the basics in the post header such as:

"Tim Baxter - Online Editor - Overland Park, KS, USA"

• The spam/vote/quote/reply boxes are ginormous. Since we don't have signatures, location, post count, etc. shown on each post, it looks like the idea was to slim things down....if that's the strategy, then the boxes are totally killin' the mojo. On my screen (1600x1200) the height of the white boxes are about the same as two lines of text, and each box is about the same size as the average username/dork status. It seems like the boxes could be way smaller, or gone altogether. Instead of using boxes, the icons could be bunched in the bottom right hand corner in a nice row, or they could be set in the post header inboard of the date.

• I'm a big fan of the [img] [url] style BB code. This is just personal preference, most boards use it so if you want to copy/paste a post it comes in handy. If the board software would tolerate it, it sure would be nice to allow it.

• I'm also not a huge fan of turning asterisks and underlines into different font styles when we have the ability to bold/italicize things with other methods, sometimes you want to use asterisks and underlines to do ascii depictions. Can we even do "code" type boxes?

• Finally, perhaps it's just me, but the lack of contrast in the white/grey for different posts and quotes is really hard for me to quickly scan through.

Most of these might seem nit-picky, but I figure it doesn't hurt to bring it up now while things are still developing. Unless you punch me for bringing it up, then it might hurt. I really like that we can now open links in new windows automatically, that was a pet peeve with the old board. Is there any plans to allow videos in a post with the new software? I know this is obviously going into project scope-creep, but youtube (and similar) is become widespread any many forums allow videos in posts. If overused it can become annoying, maybe it's best to leave it out, just an idea. Oh yeah, and I also noticed "readers' rides" allows negative ratings, so if more people dislike it than like it you look like a real jerk. This might discourage people from putting their car in there if they were hesitant at all about it. Thanks for listening.

Bryce

Nashco
Nashco Dork
5/20/08 2:18 p.m.

I continue to find secrets as I post. It'd be handy if there was a list, to unsecretize things. Like how my dashes for each point became a bulleted list above. That's handy to know. Makes me wonder if numbers do numbered lists:

1. Should I stay?
  2. Should I go?
  3. Either way, it will be trouble.

Bryce

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/20/08 2:19 p.m.

The ? help button in the formatting row de-secrets lots of things. numbers will do numbered lists, I just haven't gotten around to it.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
5/20/08 2:20 p.m.

There you have it, numbered lists automatically become bulleted...that kind of stinks. One last attempt at letters:

A) Is for Audi. B) Is for Bugatti. C) Is for Chrysler.

Bryce

Nashco
Nashco Dork
5/20/08 2:23 p.m.

Yeah, I saw the ? button that described the asterisk and underline stuff, but the list stuff was a secret. Also note that the ABC list above was three lines (not grouped together on one line). I don't know if that's on purpose or not, but it seems counter-intuitive, might want to tackle that similar to numbered lists when you get around to it.

Edit: weird

Bryce

Nashco
Nashco Dork
5/20/08 2:34 p.m.

Perhaps this is just me, try it out. When I edit a post I get redirected to the top of the last page in the thread. If I go to edit my post again, the post shown is the pre-edited version. I can continue editing, updating, re-editing, updating, and it will continue showing the original post after clicking the edit button.

Also, basic smilies aren't recognized. :) That's another bummer, it's faster to type :) than it is to click the button or type (nice).

Edit: Trying again to see if it still works. Yup, still doing it.

Bryce

rebelgtp
rebelgtp HalfDork
5/20/08 3:54 p.m.

monkeys...terrible space monkeys...

Capt Slow
Capt Slow New Reader
5/20/08 3:58 p.m.

It would be kinda neat if in our users profile we could include a link or a list of our cars in the "readers rides" section...

SupraWes
SupraWes
5/20/08 4:02 p.m.

A way to differentiate between topics that have new posts since your last visit and those that do not.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/20/08 4:03 p.m.

Capt, I can do that, no problem, and have been meaning too. Just haven't got to it yet. But yeah, sure.

Suprawes, there's at least 5 different ways -- maybe more -- to view new/latest/last.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
5/20/08 5:10 p.m.

It also looks like there's no history if a post it edited. Nearly all boards show if/when the last post was edited. My favorite setup is when it allows edits without showing "last edited...." as long as it was edited before another post and within X minutes of posting, so you can fix a stupid typo or spelling mistake. Either way, the edit stuff is acting pretty funny. I went back and tried again and the problem is repeatable for me.

Thanks for the efforts Baxter, all this "upgrading" business sounds like a lot of work!

Bryce

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
5/20/08 7:03 p.m.

I didn't read through this whole thread... main reason being:

Only 20 posts per page! How can I change this option?

Also, I noticed that it would be nice to show locations... esp. when viewing the classifieds.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4R6k0ToZDpwuVZKpw5HQO4CFDQuQGtY3vkSkXUCy2cZJwyqeFaHQAwuoYktDIi1L