irish44j
irish44j Dork
10/26/11 8:03 p.m.

came across it at a local pick-n-pull today. Interior was totally trashed, and couldn't find any badging anywhere on the car.

audifan
audifan Reader
10/26/11 8:08 p.m.

A riley?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/26/11 8:09 p.m.

It's whatever the Austin/Morris/MG/Wolseley 1100/1300 was called on these shores. Essentially an overgrown Mini.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/26/11 8:10 p.m.

Like BoxheadTim says; I think it was the MG 1100, Austin 1100, and Austin America here?

Hal
Hal Dork
10/26/11 8:12 p.m.

Rear looks like an MG 1100 but the grille area is not the same. Might be a Riley or other version of the 1100

irish44j
irish44j Dork
10/26/11 8:15 p.m.

well if anyone wants it, I'm betting nobody is taking parts off of it, lol. It's at Crazy Ray's in Jessup, MD.

why there is a big late-model bumper cover halfway inside of it is beyond me, lol...

DavidinDurango
DavidinDurango Reader
10/26/11 8:18 p.m.

Hard to tell without trim, but surely either MG1100 or Austin America (these were 1275 IIRC)

Decended from Issigonis' world changing front-drive sidewinder Mini.

We knew that, right?

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Reader
10/26/11 8:35 p.m.
irish44j wrote: well if anyone wants it, I'm betting nobody is taking parts off of it, lol. It's at Crazy Ray's in Jessup, MD. why there is a big late-model bumper cover halfway inside of it is beyond me, lol...

Love me some Crazy Rays.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
10/26/11 8:42 p.m.

Same here. My dad had one when I was about 8. I drove it a few times.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
10/26/11 9:37 p.m.

Which one, the MG Midget or the Austin America? Or what was called Austen 1100/1300 in the homeland.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
10/26/11 9:39 p.m.

Always thought the VTEC mod that has been done to Mini's would work better in one of these.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
10/27/11 7:18 a.m.

I want one of those so bad!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
10/27/11 7:21 a.m.

Bigger than a mini means it should be easier to fit a FWD drive train behind the front seats, no?

Is it a hatchback? Tough to tell from the pic.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/11 7:28 a.m.

Google Images seems to confirm Austin America.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
10/27/11 7:31 a.m.

Ugh... a few of the Spitfire club guys are always talking about Crazy Ray's... Part of me wishes it was closer to me... part of me is glad it's not.

That Spridget doesn't look too bad...

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
10/27/11 7:34 a.m.
wlkelley3 wrote: Always thought the VTEC mod that has been done to Mini's would work better in one of these.

I LIKE WHERE THIS IS GOING.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
10/27/11 9:27 a.m.
wlkelley3 wrote: Always thought the VTEC mod that has been done to Mini's would work better in one of these.

It does! Much less hacking involved

Almost looks normal in there

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/11 9:44 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: Bigger than a mini means it should be easier to fit a FWD drive train behind the front seats, no? Is it a hatchback? Tough to tell from the pic.

No, they have a similar glovebox where a trunk would be on a normal car.

PS122
PS122 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/27/11 11:35 a.m.

I had this Matchbox car as a kid, so I want it as well.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
10/27/11 2:20 p.m.

I have a friend who's trying to get rid of a '66 four-door Austin 1100, in the Seattle area. It's a restoration project (not running, needs floors). May come with a spare motor.

I also know of an MG Princess.

This is not the actual car, but color is similar:

Shoot me a note to 900notch a t gmail, if you want details.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
10/27/11 9:29 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Ugh... a few of the Spitfire club guys are always talking about Crazy Ray's... Part of me wishes it was closer to me... part of me is glad it's not. That Spridget doesn't look too bad...

IDK why....aside from what is in that picture, there were no other LBC's anywhere in the lot.

I go up there every couple months and almost never see LBC's there. The last time I think there was a totally rusted-out MGB GT (made me sad to see) and a Spitfire with zero salvagable parts that was slowly returning to the earth.

Brandywine junkyard a bit farther south in Upper Marlboro seems to have at least a couple MGBs or Spitfires when I go there on occasion, but their prices are not good and general selection sucks big for other cars....

Crazy Ray's is cool because it has a price list where every part has a set price. Door handle from a Porsche or a Pinto: same price. Engine from a Ferrari or a F-150: same price. And the prices are very low. And there are usually several thousand cars on the lot, and no matter when you go there is a big frontloader putting new cars out constantly......

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Reader
10/27/11 9:39 p.m.

There are also several Crazy Rays. The one in B-more ( Curtis Bay ) Down from Pasadena Signs I like much more. Nice layout in rows. Brandywine wanted $200 for the TB on my MX-6. $20 at Rays.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
10/27/11 9:42 p.m.

yeah, I always forget about the others, since they're even MORE of a hike for me, lol.....I had always heard the Jessup one was the biggest so always went there anyhow. Might have to check out the others.

novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
10/27/11 10:04 p.m.

that is a future Chumpcar/Lemons hero car.. put that shell over a Fiero chassis and go for the glory..

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vapgJMmDZKL984AUfOFCxmlJsxU0PdqnPZdDZiwVkzjHie1S6BY4MiTWgZlOVrGy