John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/09 6:31 a.m.

Since no one is showing any interest in the AspireRT I guess I am going to have to figure out how to buy it from JTP and get some use out of it.

Random questions/thoughts:

The rear window is busted out and the transmission does not have 4th gear which leads me to think that a venue involving removing the rest of the glass might be a good idea.

Can you legally replace the rear glass with acrylic/plexi and run SCCA rallycross?

Any super cheap ideas for this pile?

Should we just part it out?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/14/09 8:14 a.m.

cut off roof, top of doors, hatch.

ghetto parts chaser.

John Brown
1/14/09 8:40 a.m.

Hell I can drop engines right through the spot the rear glass occupied if I wanted to chase parts, but that is why I have a hitch on the Passat.

I am wondering how light the car can get and if I can locate a 2.4L 420A engine to install in the car for free (or something similar)

cghstang
cghstang New Reader
1/14/09 8:46 a.m.

You can run without glass or any replacement in scca rallycross modified class.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
1/14/09 9:44 a.m.
cghstang wrote: You can run without glass or any replacement in scca rallycross modified class.

Don't forget to install arm restraints if you plan on taking out more windows.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/14/09 10:42 a.m.

Trebuchet FTW!

John Brown
1/15/09 4:02 p.m.

Okay, it will likely be a rallycross mutant and occasional AROC autocross terror.

Since it will not get any rear glass installed (windshield back including doors replacing with sheet acrylic and alloy strap for bracing), would you:

1: Leave the B3 and semi broken trans? 2: Swap in the available FS 2.0L from the ghetto 626 our porter wrecked? (conventional mount) 3: Swap in another drivetrain? 60* V6 GM? 4: Swap in a pair of Miata crossmembers and transmission and install the B3 RWD? (I really like this idea) 5: Swap in a pair of Miata crossmembers and transmission and install a BP or B6?

Hit me kiddies.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
1/15/09 4:49 p.m.

KISS.

It's already something different... just get a little more power and a good tranny and go have fun.

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
1/15/09 5:02 p.m.
John Brown wrote: 2: Swap in the available FS 2.0L from the ghetto 626 our porter wrecked? (conventional mount)

....and rally cross the hell out of it.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
1/15/09 6:18 p.m.

Here's what I'd do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uQg6oTMtiU

Clem (driving the black protege)

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/15/09 7:58 p.m.

john, seriously, get away from that car as fast as you can. sell it for scrap and put the money into your kids' education fund.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fIHHF7wgzyoHL6uZL8GaCMKUcfBEujGFd2VbQJDDQ7YTx6gnjGGuQrDgtxvqLIxi