1 2
DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
2/21/14 12:44 p.m.

Horrible color choices but here's the aveo with cobalt ss drivetrain http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f82/aveo-2-2l-supercharged-9681/

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/14 1:56 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222:

I didn't need to see that.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
2/21/14 2:00 p.m.

My mom currently drives one. I begged and pleaded with my dad not to do it and they would regret it... surprise, they hate it! And it's now worth nothing compared to the $6500 purchase price they paid!

It's not that it doesn't do what a car requires (point A to point B), just everything about it is horrid. Especially factoring in gas mileage, the 1.6L in city driving gets 25usmpg if you are LUCKY.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/21/14 3:01 p.m.
failboat wrote: yea but vw coilovers practically bolt on. dude. bro. dudebro. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/chevy-aveo-hop-up/35974/page2/

I peeked under an Aveo when they first hit the dealerships, and instantly thought it looked surprisingly close to VW.

That fact alone is almost enough reason for me to keep an eye out for a cheap one. I'm sure I can pick one up for less than a non-rusty dub.

The next question would be are there any bolt-in junkyard swaps??? :)

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
2/21/14 3:29 p.m.

I rented the Aveo a few years ago and a Sprint before that. Both were cheap little cars, but the Aveo was FAR worse. Amazingly it got MUCH worse mileage (a victim of bloat I believe).

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
2/21/14 3:40 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: My mom currently drives one. I begged and pleaded with my dad not to do it and they would regret it... surprise, they hate it! And it's now worth nothing compared to the $6500 purchase price they paid! It's not that it doesn't do what a car requires (point A to point B), just everything about it is horrid. Especially factoring in gas mileage, the 1.6L in city driving gets 25usmpg if you are LUCKY.

Went through the same deal with my inlaws. They bought an $18k scion xA new. She's done nothing but bitch about it since she bought ..... just like I said she would.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
2/21/14 3:50 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla: if you get a chance, please elaborate. Scions (Xb) have been on my radar.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
2/21/14 3:55 p.m.

The Aveo motor is supposedly based on the pre-ecotec Opel dohc red top motor, which actually has a decent reputation. The 80's LeMans had a sohc motor also based on the same engine and the last of the Suzukis (Reno and Forenza) had dohc of the same family as well. I have not had them next to each other to verify though.

Jarod
Jarod GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/21/14 4:00 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: So am I right in saying the Aveo is the first car that gets no love whatsoever from this forum?

Aveo and CLK55 AMG (or any of the X55 AMGs) are the only two that I remember being a nay.

scotman
scotman New Reader
2/21/14 5:04 p.m.

I have driven a couple versions of Aveo. They were originally designed in Korea for the euro and pacific rim markets and sold as the Daewoo Kalos. I had the misfortune to have an early Kalos as a company car while on Business in The P.I. It had 13 inch wheels and non speed rated tires. It was deadly. When i next drove one here in the states as an Aveo it had been upgraded to H-speed rated 15 inch tires, which tamed it's wild behavior quite a bit! My impression of it is as a good body donor for some frankstein turbo engine swap that is unrelated to the original engine and transmission. It was never intended to do more than be low cost short trip commuter car. The very small crank pulley on the T-belt will result in a huge supply of 60k hand grenaded Aveos being available cheap for many years to come.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
2/21/14 5:12 p.m.

it's really hard for me to think of a set of circumstances where I found myself registering an Aveo.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
2/21/14 5:13 p.m.

a SONIC on the otherhand...

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
2/21/14 7:31 p.m.
fanfoy wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:
Rufledt wrote: So am I right in saying the Aveo is the first car that gets no love whatsoever from this forum?
That will change in 15 years. This forum seems to love crap cars, as long as they're old ones.
Or it will change when they prove to be surprizingly good in Lemons (doubtful), or someone here picks a trashy example abandoned on the side of the road, and shoes a VQ35 in the back and enters it at the challenge.

I'd want to see that. Hatch or sedan? Also, mid engine or rear engine?

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
2/21/14 7:40 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Good job no one around here calls for small light cheap simple cars........ Oh wait

Not ones with only garbage left over after features are removed. I'm thinking more along the lines of Genesis coupe R-spec. No luxo features, no electronic automated stuff, not even any cruise control. They could go farther, but then they might be tempted to pull a "Porsche" and start cranking the price every time they don't put something on...

If I didn't have a baby on the way I'd want something like my RX8 R3 (already no luxo features) but remove more interior, remove back seats, no trunk lining, no need for fancy steering wheel controls when the radio has it's own buttons mere inches away, no need for the foglights I never use, etc... and hopefully a couple grand off purchase price would've been nice.

As the baby IS actually on the way, I'll stick with the back seats, even though primary baby hauler is SWMBO's car.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Reader
2/21/14 7:44 p.m.

I'd have to say an aveo is the worst car I have ever driven. Bleh

gofastbobby
gofastbobby Reader
2/21/14 8:12 p.m.

I worked in a GM dealership when the Aveo's were released. We had many customers complain about the terrible mileage.

To this day, I feel pity for anyone I see driving one.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/21/14 9:54 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: Horrible color choices but here's the aveo with cobalt ss drivetrain http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f82/aveo-2-2l-supercharged-9681/

Wait, theres an aveo forum? Or is it more of a support group?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
2/21/14 10:08 p.m.

Gearheadotaku - I'm sure it's a combo of both. I stumbled upon it looking for pics of the Cobalt SS swap and it led me to that dark stinky alley of the internet where no one should ever go.

bradyzq
bradyzq Dork
2/25/14 12:18 p.m.

I just had one from Hertz, after the Impala I initially had got rear-ended. The Aveo had 47K rental miles on it. There was no paint left on the plastic driver's inner door pull handle, but other than a fuel gauge that would only read 7/8 when full, and a small wheel bearing whine, it drove fine. It was better than the new (not the new, new one) Impala. The steering and brakes weren't as disconnected as the Impala's.

The car was still a plastic appliance, but it did its job well.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
2/26/14 11:06 a.m.
bluebarchetta wrote: On a related note, how does the Spark stack up? Is it just Aveo-style suckage in a cool new wrapper, or is it a major step forward?

Not sure if they're improved, but it is the next generation Daewoo Aveo, so I would suspect similar suckage. I actually saw a few Daewoo badged Sparks while in Costa Rica.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
2/26/14 2:04 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
That will change in 15 years. This forum seems to love crap cars, as long as they're old ones.

There is a big difference between using a car as a daily driver and building something like a Challenge car or chump car or etc out of it.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
2/26/14 2:19 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: ...the 1.6L in city driving gets 25usmpg if you are LUCKY.

That's funny - my 300Hp Sentra gets 27.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
2/26/14 2:26 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: Especially factoring in gas mileage, the 1.6L in city driving gets 25usmpg if you are LUCKY.

Damn, that is bad, my Prizm gets that kind of mileage, doing nothing but short trip city driving in blizzards.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VWl9NEUmGvsiO9saelLBpOvkNlXY798j9soi7L7ZOAMsJSHSzyxO4rIQXbdeGhiu