1 2
Raze
Raze UltraDork
2/12/15 10:21 p.m.

Injectors...MegaSquirt...intercooler...t3/t4 hybrid or Holset...relocate TFI module...upgrade to Felpro 1035 headgasket...remove pcv and vent head and case to catch can...stock longblock...3" exhaust...enjoy 300whp and 400 ft lbs of torque.. .T5 trans for pleasant shifting...koni yellows all around...600 lb/in springs in the back...350 lb/in springs in front...powerflex bushings...limited slip diff...15" turbine wheels (people give them away).. used race tires since 15s are spec Miata size...hoon mercilessly

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
2/12/15 10:27 p.m.

I don't feel your love for this platform...Flip it for a profit and buy something that speaks more clearly to the voices in your head.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
2/12/15 11:17 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I'd get another one. Because nobody owns just one XR4Ti. They need constant companionship.

Now THAT made me laugh! Thank you! I second the motion.

850Combat
850Combat New Reader
2/13/15 12:24 a.m.

It is true the the T9 won't take a lot more power than it already has. But there is a market for them for Cortinas and other little ford powered cars.

A friend at work has an Esslinger turbo in one. It makes a lot of power.

He has a fleet of them.

I looked for one to use for a driver for a while, but couldn't find one that didn't have a torn up interior.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
2/13/15 12:30 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: In reply to Knurled: I really don't agree with any of that. The 2.3 is better for one important reason, though: It came in Mustangs, so it has aftermarket. That like, costs money though. I'll give someone $100 to show up at the Challenge with a 2.3T car and trap higher in the quarter mile than my inferior F2T rocket.

what did you trap? mine was only slightly over challenge budget in a gutted 89 hatchback. stock almost everywere except a manual boost controller and a tune.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/13/15 1:06 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I really don't agree with any of that. The 2.3 is better for one important reason, though: It came in Mustangs, so it has aftermarket.

I'm pretty sure the reason that it has aftermarket is that it came in Pintos A lot of the 2.3 aftermarket is driven by its popularity in circle track. And desert racing. And a bunch of other places...

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/13/15 5:40 a.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: So, bad interoir and it doesn't run? I'll assume bad paint too?

At one time it may have been gloss red. Now, it would best be described as "pink chalk."

LanEvo
2/13/15 5:46 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: I don't feel your love for this platform...

I grew up in Europe watching bootlegged Betamax tapes of DTM and BTCC races. I suppose I'm not interested in the US-spec XR4Ti as such...but I'm in love with the RS500.

I've had a number of E30s, including (briefly) an M3. My current racecar is a 190E 16v. An XR4Ti would complete the Holy Trinity of late-'80s Group A touring cars.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
2/13/15 6:13 a.m.

I think you should get it driving/drivable and keep adding to it as you drive it without letting it be down for more than a weekend.

That'll keep it sensible, fairly stock and fun and not destroy a cool retro-car.

But my budget and time are conservative an my tastes aren't far behind.

LanEvo
2/15/15 8:16 a.m.

How does a turbo Lima engine hold up to extended track use? Would a 302 be more reliable? I have zero experience with either engine (coming from the BMW world).

This would be track/race only. Would be used mainly for AER and maybe some sprints.

carbon
carbon Dork
2/15/15 10:26 a.m.

I vote turbo 302.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/15/15 10:46 a.m.

Holy FOD ingestion Batman!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/15/15 12:15 p.m.
XLR99 wrote: Holy FOD ingestion Batman!

I put a pair of converters on a Magnum that someone had put a low mount twin turbo setup on. The turbos were mounted under the engine and were the lowest point of the vehicle. No air filters, just a little bit of mesh that might keep larger birds out.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ME8pcmyfhJUBjBv0MlCeQ9pudur6vqmu37AfPqaf3vhrYIaUUoGU5ktCHGrXGbaP