mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/9/15 10:32 a.m.

Today is Monday. On Friday I'm picking up a 1991 Civic hatch. It's a national level STS car and should be a good time. The thing is, I don't know that much about these cars other than they are widely considered awesome. I hear wheel bearings are an issue, and engines are robust, but other than that, I'm all ears. Throw some info my way.

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon UltraDork
3/9/15 10:33 a.m.

God's chariot. You'll love it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/9/15 11:01 a.m.

Put gas in it and kick butt.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/15 11:11 a.m.

I bought an '89 Civic Si new and put 300,000 miles on it. I changed the brakes a few times, the alternator once, one ignitor, one exhaust system, a couple of timing belts and never went any more than 18,000 miles between oil changes.

I never had to change a head gasket or wheel bearing.

Best car ever.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/9/15 11:41 a.m.

Gas, tires, drive the E36 M3 out of it? OK, will do. Build thread incoming. I might wait to actually get the car to start this one.

paddylopez
paddylopez New Reader
3/9/15 12:06 p.m.

Clearly you'll be running out of room in the grosh, so I would be happy to store your RX-7 at my place. No fee, I'll do it as a GRM favor! I'll even take it out and drive it for you, only on weekends of course.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
3/9/15 1:35 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Put gas in it and kick butt.

And fit a surprising amount of stuff in the hatch

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
3/9/15 2:13 p.m.

Horrible, terrible cars. You'll regret it every moment you own it. To save a lifetime of regrets you should sell it to me.

Truthfully, I owned a 1993 DX Hatch totally "showroom stock" and it was a complete hoot. Ran forever and I would absolutely still own it had it not gone on an extreme oxygen based lightening program. Did a head gasket around 130,000. The rest was gas, oil and tires. You can literally move furniture in them with the seats folded. Probably the cheapest $ per mile vehicle I've ever owned. I can only imagine how fun it would have been in ST* trim. You'll love it. If you don't, you know where to find me.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
3/9/15 2:24 p.m.

If you're gonna do hpde, baffle the oil pan. I ate a lotta d-series engines in my crx before finding that out.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/9/15 2:41 p.m.

I was talking to my Civic guy. The car is going to his shop for a couple of days before I pick it up. He said that he runs heavier oil on track and that solves the problem. Or something. Certainly one of the things I'll be asking him about.
Suggestions on a pan?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/9/15 2:47 p.m.

I started racing a Civic with 90,000 miles on it. Put another 10,000 miles on at max abuse levels. (Track, autocross, rallycross) Never had an issue. All stock Honda/Acura parts or homemade stuff.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/9/15 3:43 p.m.

I'm shocked at how cheap parts are for these. It's kind of exciting. This will also be the first car I've driven that is properly developed for it's class. Before now I've always been able to blame the car for being back that 1.5-2.5 seconds. And I'll be back in FWD which I've missed.

Woody
3/9/15 3:45 p.m.

When I was messing with the CRX Si a couple of years ago, the Honda dealer didn't have a cap and rotor for it. I had to go to Advance Auto.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
3/9/15 3:58 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I'm shocked at how cheap parts are for these. It's kind of exciting. This will also be the first car I've driven that is properly developed for it's class. Before now I've always been able to blame the car for being back that 1.5-2.5 seconds. And I'll be back in FWD which I've missed.

Don't sweat it, the first year's a freebie. "I'm learning a new car" and you're golden. You don't have to admit you suck until at least year two.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/9/15 4:20 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: Put gas in it and kick butt.
And fit a surprising amount of stuff in the hatch

Totally. I'm still amazed how much stuff I fit in my CRX.

Woody
3/9/15 4:22 p.m.

I used my Civic hatch in place of a pickup when I built my house.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mUv1tydZyT5rc8V0xfB2RC4cuXKztOP6itbRtb9gFuM7OTtyR15nNI6qRVtuHKjD