Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/19/23 10:41 a.m.

So the wife hit a deer in her Golf, damage isn't as bad as I feared but they still are saying it's a total loss with a lowish buy back. It pays it off and gives us enough to get her a good down payment into something a bit better suited for up here. 

She wants a double/4 door/SuperCrew sort of truck so I started looking and ran across a Blackwood for sale here at a very decent price. She likes it since she basically wants something taller with truck suspension, 2wd isn't ideal but really.....I have 3 2nd Gen Explorers that I can fix up that are spectacular for winter so less worried there. The weird bed/trunk actually works great for her craft fairs. The double cab will also fit our 2 huge dogs( Yeti and The Bear)

I know a little about them, I know they use a different 5.4l from the f150 but basically everything is f150 past that. I think it has to run premium, or is it just "best" for premium?

I know they made like 3000 of them ever, but anyone have experience with them?

calteg
calteg SuperDork
9/19/23 11:51 a.m.

I think it's the same V8 as the Navigator. The tonneau cover is fixed and isn't intended to be removed. If you want bonus obscurity, they made a very limited run of Nieman-Marcus editions

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/19/23 11:52 a.m.

Wow, haven’t seen a Blackwood in a hundred years. 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
9/19/23 12:01 p.m.

I knew a guy that had one, he said insuring it was expensive. YMMV

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/19/23 12:38 p.m.

They are cool, but damn near impossible to find, and the bed is essentially useless. You'd be better off with a fully loaded F-150 of similar vintage.

Antihero
9/19/23 12:48 p.m.
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) said:

They are cool, but damn near impossible to find, and the bed is essentially useless. You'd be better off with a fully loaded F-150 of similar vintage.

True, although I did find one and it's pretty reasonably priced too

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/19/23 12:51 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Wow, haven’t seen a Blackwood in a hundred years. 

Hyperbole much? wink

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/19/23 12:54 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Has your wife driven a similar truck?  Going from a Golf to a full-size truck could be rather, um... different?  In terms of driving dynamics.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/19/23 1:24 p.m.

I think I saw the one that you are looking at, assuming you are in the Michigan area. I was interested in them as a tow truck as they seem to be in better shape than most f150s with lower miles. $10k seems to be a decent spot for a not crap one. The premium is an issue for me though as I would use it to drive 15 hours to a track with a trailer.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/19/23 1:36 p.m.

Isn't the blackwood 4 buckets not a rear bench?  How does that work for the dogs?

Look up the bed cover.  I seem to remember a complex hinge system or complex latch system or both.  

For another overlooked model seek a Lincoln Mark LT.  A tarted up F150 but just normal F150 stuff.  

Explorer Sport Trac also 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
9/19/23 1:41 p.m.

Blackwoods are super cool.  I endorse getting one as a daily driver.  

If the blackwood falls through, get an SSR

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/19/23 2:13 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Yeah, the back seat it two buckets and a huge console. I think at least the console would have to go.

Antihero
9/19/23 3:01 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

In reply to Antihero :

Has your wife driven a similar truck?  Going from a Golf to a full-size truck could be rather, um... different?  In terms of driving dynamics.

She's driven my truck a few times and I tried to get her in a f150 of similar size awhile back.

Definitely different but a test drive will see if she likes it.

Antihero
9/19/23 3:02 p.m.
singleslammer said:

I think I saw the one that you are looking at, assuming you are in the Michigan area. I was interested in them as a tow truck as they seem to be in better shape than most f150s with lower miles. $10k seems to be a decent spot for a not crap one. The premium is an issue for me though as I would use it to drive 15 hours to a track with a trailer.

This one is about half that, seems nice but I haven't seen it in person yet

Antihero
9/19/23 3:04 p.m.
singleslammer said:

In reply to John Welsh :

Yeah, the back seat it two buckets and a huge console. I think at least the console would have to go.

Maybe? They fold flat so it might work, otherwise neither likes to lay down when they are in cars, they think they are people lol

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
9/20/23 8:24 a.m.

We used to call them the Lincoln "Not Good". They were much more difficult to work on and had so many ridiculous quirks compared to the available Harley Davidson F150 which was actually useable as a truck. Parts were also scarce at the time they made them so i cant image getting anything now that was a single model part.

The Harley truck has 60hp/70ft-lbs more in its supercharged 5.4 2 valve than the 5.4 4 valve Intech in the Blackwood. The Harley truck is an upper pulley and tune away from Lightning power(380/450).

If you can find a low mileage "Shamu" version of the Harley Davidson truck id jump on that over a Blackwood.

2003 Ford F-150 Harley-Davidson Stock # F408 for sale near Palm Springs, CA  | CA Ford Dealer

Antihero
9/20/23 10:50 a.m.
kevinatfms said:

We used to call them the Lincoln "Not Good". They were much more difficult to work on and had so many ridiculous quirks compared to the available Harley Davidson F150 which was actually useable as a truck. Parts were also scarce at the time they made them so i cant image getting anything now that was a single model part.

The Harley truck has 60hp/70ft-lbs more in its supercharged 5.4 2 valve than the 5.4 4 valve Intech in the Blackwood. The Harley truck is an upper pulley and tune away from Lightning power(380/450).

If you can find a low mileage "Shamu" version of the Harley Davidson truck id jump on that over a Blackwood.

2003 Ford F-150 Harley-Davidson Stock # F408 for sale near Palm Springs, CA  | CA Ford Dealer

Interestingly enough I just showed her a 2001 Harley Davidson model for roughly the same price, it's in a bit worse shape though.

Why were they more difficult to work on? The fact it's not really a truck actually works well for her, the tonneau cover is gonna be present on anything she gets basically 

Sunflowerbw
Sunflowerbw GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/20/23 12:46 p.m.

Not enough enabling going on in this thread! Bring on the weird truck!

Antihero
9/20/23 10:56 p.m.
Sunflowerbw said:

Not enough enabling going on in this thread! Bring on the weird truck!

I like the way you think!

Antihero
9/21/23 1:53 p.m.

I will say info is a bit hard on these since the following is as douchy as you'd expect a 20 year old luxury car to be. Not all but definitely some odd corksniffery.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/21/23 2:14 p.m.
Antihero said:

I will say info is a bit hard on these since the following is as douchy as you'd expect a 20 year old luxury car to be. Not all but definitely some odd corksniffery.

Senor!  En Ingles, por favor!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
9/21/23 7:14 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

I bet it is a comparison to 2v trucks. I was under the impression that it is basically a 2wd Navigator in the engine bay.

Im sure that they Harley is better (aside from having to drive a car with a harley badge on it) but I also suspect that they are harder to find with similar miles condition for similar money. 

Edit: I went and looked. They are similarly priced. Yeah, don't buy a Black Wood unless you get a smoking deal on a nice one. 

Antihero
9/21/23 11:03 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
Antihero said:

Senor!  En Ingles, por favor!

Explain corksniffery? Basically just odd elitism, in this case it's centered around the luxury of the vehicle. At the time, pretty cool, but now 300hp isn't a whole bunch and it has fairly standard features 

Antihero
9/21/23 11:06 p.m.
singleslammer said:

In reply to Antihero :

I bet it is a comparison to 2v trucks. I was under the impression that it is basically a 2wd Navigator in the engine bay.

Im sure that they Harley is better (aside from having to drive a car with a harley badge on it) but I also suspect that they are harder to find with similar miles condition for similar money. 

Edit: I went and looked. They are similarly priced. Yeah, don't buy a Black Wood unless you get a smoking deal on a nice one. 

Basically what I'm thinking, it seems like a good deal and it's a terrible time to sell a 2wd truck around here. 

We will see

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eWLO8MktIfuriM4dKqqPYRvqDA6hSE6jq7ruhFTsO2Ihj4HK8DCwv3dRJ9Y6sPhB