1 2
CLH
CLH GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/9/13 9:42 a.m.

I'm looking around for a new autocross/track car and came across a local '07 Solstice GXP in great shape with low miles. The condition looks to be fantastic, and we're going to look at it later this morning. Anything I need to be especially aware of?

Why would I not want this car? I see that it's reasonably well-classed for auto-x (BS and ASP), so it's not an utter underdog. I haven't yet begun to dig into what aftermarket stuff is available, but I gotta believe there's stuff out there. I've just never really looked at these before.

Thanks!

Chris

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
11/9/13 10:38 a.m.

I had loan approved and check in hand when I went to buy one for a DD, but bought a MINI instead. For me the foot box was too narrow for me to be able to move my right foot off the gas and use the cruise, which was a deal breaker for the amount of highway miles I was planning on driving. For a track rat it probably won't be an issue, but it's worth checking the ergos before you commit too much.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/9/13 10:39 a.m.

Our favorite motorsports magazine did a buyer's guide a few issues ago.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
11/9/13 10:40 a.m.
oldopelguy wrote: I had loan approved and check in hand when I went to buy one for a DD, but bought a MINI instead. For me the foot box was too narrow for me to be able to move my right foot off the gas and use the cruise, which was a deal breaker for the amount of highway miles I was planning on driving. For a track rat it probably won't be an issue, but it's worth checking the ergos before you commit too much.

Good lord, if you bought a MINI because the GXP footbox is too narrow, it must be the narrowest footbox EVER.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
11/9/13 11:45 a.m.
mndsm wrote: Good lord, if you bought a MINI because the GXP footbox is too narrow, it must be the narrowest footbox EVER.

It wasn't as much the actual foot position as when I put my right knee against the center console and my left against the door I couldn't put both fists between my knees. Granted I'm only 5'8" tall, so someone a lot taller might not have the issue, but it was no good for me.

The console on the MINI was a lot lower, as well as being a lot wider, so lots more room.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
11/9/13 12:50 p.m.

Having owned one, I can tell you that there are a lot of reasons not to own one, but the vast majority have to do with using it as a DD. If you can deal with the nagging and frequent little things that go wrong with it, it might be a great toy. It certainly was fun to drive!

calteg
calteg Reader
11/9/13 1:26 p.m.

It's a car that went from pure concept to production in 9 months, and it has all the production quirks to prove it. Sweetheart motor though.

Rupert
Rupert Reader
11/9/13 2:19 p.m.
calteg wrote: It's a car that went from pure concept to production in 9 months, and it has all the production quirks to prove it. Sweetheart motor though.

I believe you just hit on why so many U.S. branded cars have been considered lemons over the years! It seems U.S. companies put products on the market with almost no research. This then lets the recalls, bad publicity, and owner complaints be their research.

How sad! Often right about the car is brought up to the level where it should have been introduced it is already toast!

The Japanese have made the same mistake once or twice with the same results. But in the US this has been happening for generations.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/9/13 4:35 p.m.

Do it! Unless wrecked or has an insane amount of miles, the car should hold it's value well.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
11/9/13 6:39 p.m.

A Corvette is similar money....Thats the only reason I can come up with

Hal
Hal SuperDork
11/9/13 6:49 p.m.
oldopelguy wrote:
mndsm wrote: Good lord, if you bought a MINI because the GXP footbox is too narrow, it must be the narrowest footbox EVER.
It wasn't as much the actual foot position as when I put my right knee against the center console and my left against the door I couldn't put both fists between my knees. Granted I'm only 5'8" tall, so someone a lot taller might not have the issue, but it was no good for me.

I test drove one when they first came out. I am 5'7" and in addition the foot space problem I was banging my elbows on the console and door. I know someone who has one and fits fine but he is 6'1".

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
11/9/13 8:39 p.m.

The ergonomics suck, the trunk size is laughable, and the top is fiddly. The powertrain and suspension make the car, and when you're behind the wheel those sins are all quickly forgotten. My wife's Sky Redline with the GMPP tune is a joy to drive around on twisty back roads on a clear day with the top down. It gets good enough economy to use for daily driving, but it's a much more fun car to own if you drive it for fun and not for commuting.

Bryce

CLH
11/9/13 9:15 p.m.

Well, I bought it. The price was right and the car is as clean as expected. There a few niggles to attend to, but it's solid overall. Time to hit the interwebz and do some learnin'...

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
11/9/13 9:21 p.m.

In reply to CLH:

Very nice! I've been lusting after one from the time the first spy shots were published.

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
11/9/13 10:54 p.m.

Damn, fastest referral-to-purchase I've made. Only 35 minutes after my post you bought it!!!

Get the GMPP tune, you won't regret it. Doesn't even void the warranty!

Bryce

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/10/13 7:03 a.m.

That looks great. And I think your garage looks awesome, too.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/10/13 7:45 a.m.
ZOO wrote: That looks great. And I think your garage looks awesome, too.

My thoughts exactly. Your garage is operating room levels of clean!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
11/10/13 8:26 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: If you can deal with the nagging and frequent little things that go wrong with it, it might be a great toy. It certainly was fun to drive!

it is good to see Pontiac never changed since I suffered through 9 years of ownership of this car.

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
11/10/13 8:29 a.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote:
bravenrace wrote: If you can deal with the nagging and frequent little things that go wrong with it, it might be a great toy. It certainly was fun to drive!
it is good to see Pontiac never changed since I suffered through 9 years of ownership of this car.

I want that.

CLH
11/10/13 8:35 a.m.
dyintorace wrote:
ZOO wrote: That looks great. And I think your garage looks awesome, too.
My thoughts exactly. Your garage is operating room levels of clean!

Thanks guys. It's a new house, so I haven't had an opportunity yet to "dirty-up" the operating room so to speak. :D

I spent the last few months getting the garage squared away so that it would be ready to receive an occupant. I still need to move my tools, workbench, press, compressor, etc. in so that I have something to work on and with, but it's a start!

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
11/10/13 8:54 a.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote:

it couldn't have been that bad if you kept it around for 9 years...

regarding the Solstice: they look like fun little cars, and Hot Rod proved that a Corvette LS7 is practically a drop in engine replacement that doesn't add a lot of weight to the car... and for all it's quirks, they can be forgiven: it's a parts bin car that GM slapped together to have something to sell to people that wanted a 3/4 scale Corvette but couldn't afford to buy 3/4 of a Corvette.

bigbens6
bigbens6 Reader
11/10/13 11:59 a.m.

What is that you are parked on and where can i get one?!?!?!? I wanna know.... and your garage is sick clean... omw

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
11/10/13 12:16 p.m.

In reply to bigbens6:

coin mat. Available from many places... Griot's comes quickly to mind.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/coin+top+garage+floor+mat.do?sortby=ourPicks

I'm sure there are cheaper options out there.

I like the GXP, although I have to admit I prefer the looks of the Sky Redline.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/10/13 12:48 p.m.

I like the stainless fender pole, so you don't hit the house or garbage bin when you arrive home in a festive mood.

CLH
11/10/13 1:34 p.m.

@bigben6 - Ian got it right. I think we got this one through Amazon though (Prime makes for cheap shipping).

@Tyler - that pole is just silver painted steel (and it's HEAVY). It's code here in WA because there is a water heater just to the right of it that isn't in the picture.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qCQD2TLn8bOSDYlHlkwjxif0pRH8hARlVZDuiuFOn53g4C0Fn2XUYk7bR9QzTLbN