z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
9/17/12 6:07 p.m.

We've had a hell of a time getting rid of all the coolant/brake leaks on my car '90 Miata (swapper over to NB sport brakes and installed a coolant reroute kit).

Thought we had it all lined out saturday after having a hose pop-off earlier in the week. Although now it appears the remote thermostat housing is leaking.

Is there something better than teflon tape I can use to seal the sides together around the thermostat?

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
9/17/12 6:13 p.m.

How are you using it?

Teflon tape is just for sealing NPT (pipe) threads that seal on the taper.

Brake lines, unless you have some weird cobble job going on, seal on the flare and DO NOT require any sealant on the threads. They are designed to be assembled dry. The teflon tape on the threads probably is part of the problem on those, not the solution.

Without seeing the remote thermostat housing, I cant comment on your misuse of teflon tape there, but it sounds like you may have used it as a gasket? If you have tapered threads that seal on the THREAD, you should use some sort of pipe sealant, but if you have O-ring ports, use an O-ring, if you have -AN or flare fittings, those get assembled dry, and if you have fittings that need a crush washer and banjo bolts, use a crush washer (both sides of the banjo bolt of course)

That being said, I prefer Teflon paste to Teflon tape. Its easier to apply, doesnt get string, and easier to clean off. Also no worries about installing it against the threading and making it peel up as you tighten the fitting.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
9/17/12 6:14 p.m.

RTV?

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
9/17/12 7:57 p.m.

^Hadn't thought of that.

In reply to 93gsxturbo:

For the threads on two aluminum halves that make up the thermostat housing.

I just mentioned the brakes as they had been giving us trouble as well, but they are taken care of for now. Unless the rear seal on the master is ever so gently leaking it into the booster and then out of the bottom of the booster, but I don't think that's the case.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/17/12 9:12 p.m.

great white pipe sealant paste

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
9/17/12 9:38 p.m.

^I went ahead and grabbed a bottle of Permatex Thread Sealant with PTFE...........should that work?

If not, I can take it back tomorrow and go somewhere else.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltraDork
9/17/12 9:50 p.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: Teflon tape is just for sealing NPT (pipe) threads that seal on the taper.

x2.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
9/17/12 9:53 p.m.

Teflon tape is not what you what to use. RTV or something similar (that can withstand the heat of an engine bay) is what you want.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
9/17/12 10:15 p.m.

Teflon tape is specifically called out in the installation instructions.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/support/instructions/cooling/M-Tuned%20Reroute.pdf

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
9/17/12 10:42 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Teflon tape is not what you what to use. RTV or something similar (that can withstand the heat of an engine bay) is what you want.

The same Teflon used in frying pans? ;)

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
9/18/12 6:20 a.m.
erohslc wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: Teflon tape is not what you what to use. RTV or something similar (that can withstand the heat of an engine bay) is what you want.
The same Teflon used in frying pans? ;)

yeah- it's also the same teflon that is used to seal things like head bolts and heater hose fittings on engines..

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
9/18/12 6:21 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: Teflon tape is specifically called out in the installation instructions. http://www.flyinmiata.com/support/instructions/cooling/M-Tuned%20Reroute.pdf

dead link..

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
9/18/12 7:13 a.m.

Does anyone besides patgizz/poop have a suggestion? Or would you guys rather keep arguing over teflon tape?

novaderrik, whoops, if you google "miata coolant reroute installation instructions" it pulls up as the second link.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
9/18/12 9:33 a.m.

I hate teflon tape with a passion and always use a paste type pipe thread sealant. The kind I have now is the better grade that Home Depot carried, Rectorseal T Plus 2. It works well. If the instructions call for teflon tape, this stuff will work and it will work better. Brush on generously, tighten the fitting, and wipe off excess. Try not to get any on the inside of the fitting, of course.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/rectorseal-t-plus-2-4-oz-teflon-pipe-thread-sealant-23631.html

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QVenDoA9QB6hzPApas8OhjGEx44anqdTMem06UyneMd2DRyXoyFelZK8VYbDmTeb