1 2 3
Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/17/12 3:41 p.m.

aaaaaaaaand just when I think I have my automotive ADD under control....

Warren v
Warren v New Reader
12/17/12 4:01 p.m.

Hey guys, here's the first picture I've seen of the body plug:

http://www.mevowners.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=dbr1&action=display&thread=3392

I think it's looking pretty damn good, and I'm one of those arrogant engineers that thinks everything is crap. Exomotive is just an importer/dealer for MEV, we're not privy to a lot of stuff.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/17/12 4:23 p.m.

What a tease!

Actually it's good to know that it's not just vaporware. Looks like ol' Stiggy's raising things to a new level.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/17/12 7:39 p.m.

ohhhh, that looks nice. I can't wait to see the finished molded body. I'm wondering what one of these in gloss black with red interior would look like....

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
12/17/12 7:44 p.m.
Raze wrote: that's awesome, I hope it gets built, but if you really want something similar that is being built for peanuts on the dollar, Sammio Spyder: Only issue is transportation from the UK...

Mass want!!

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/17/12 8:20 p.m.

umm...uhhh... excuse me for a few minutes $11K is nothing to scoff at, but then again neither is a DBR1! and properly done, a Miata 1.8 can look reasonably vintage, and if you are so inclined, there are kits to put Webers onto one, and of course the bits and pieces to the V8 EFI kits that just LOOK like a big pile of Webers...

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
12/17/12 8:57 p.m.

The DBR1 has an inline 6. I'm trying to remember if it's an OHC or OHV engine. If the thought was to build a somewhat faithful replica, I'd be looking for some type of upright 6.

Edit: found some pics. Upright, DOHC engine, so I'd be looking for a Jag engine. Some pics show triple Webers, some show triple SU's or Strombergs.

As cool as the dual side exit exhaust pipes are, I'd probably conceed to some civility and go with a rear exit exhaust.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/17/12 9:13 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

I was looking at that at work today (on my lunch break of course). The AM inline six looks a bit like a Jag inline 6.

AM DBR1 inline secks:

Shaguar 6:

I'm not sure folks would really want to put up with that sort of parts bill, and if it matters the Jag also has the intake/exhaust on opposite sides which could present a problem for through-the-body exhaust routing.

So I started looking at the toyota 7MGE. Cheap, mostly reliable. LSX would always be faster, but how about the sound?Imagine with 100% less ricey purple valve cover:

5MGE seems to have more of the vintage look, but don't they have head gasket issues?

They also mention something about optional BMW power on the website, so I would guess that could mean inline 6.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
12/17/12 9:21 p.m.

Hmm... True. Don't know if I could go with the 7MGE (who made that? I'm not hip on Asian engine codes). If I couldn't do the Jag engine, is probably just stick with the cheap option (Miata). Maybe the LS if I foul trick the exhaust into not sounding like a Cobra.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/17/12 9:48 p.m.

In reply to mblommel:

You have it backwards...7Ms have head gasket issues, 5Ms are a lot more stout but less tunable (much smaller aftermarket). Ian, was the Toyota logo on the valve cover not obvious enough (not to mention being described as the "Toyota 7M")?

RE: Vintage style replicas...bring over the SCF XJ13 and you have me interested

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
12/18/12 3:23 a.m.
Warren v wrote: ... that thinks everything is crap.

You must be Scottish.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
12/18/12 6:50 a.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: In reply to mblommel: You have it backwards...7Ms have head gasket issues, 5Ms are a lot more stout but less tunable (much smaller aftermarket). Ian, was the Toyota logo on the valve cover not obvious enough (not to mention being described as the "Toyota 7M")?

He pulled a ninja-edit on me, adding the "toyota" and second 5MGE pic while I was typing the initial respose.

I'd need to think about the size differences between the cars. I know the AM I6 isn't a small engine and it doesn't really look "stuffed" in the original car. A Miata I4 in that bay could end up looking like a lawnmower engine in there.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
3/19/13 2:44 p.m.

If anyone still lurking on this thread, there's an actual picture of the chassis and body now:

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/19/13 2:53 p.m.

Yeah, saw that on facebook and asked if you had more photos .

Looks good.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/19/13 2:57 p.m.

That's a great looking start.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
3/19/13 3:15 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: Yeah, saw that on facebook and asked if you had more photos . Looks good.

The car is being developed by MEV in the UK, so we're just as excited to see more pictures as you are. Here is the MEV Forum where Stewart keeps everyone updated: http://www.mevowners.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=dbr1

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
3/19/13 3:20 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: That's a great looking start.

Agreed. Now all they have to do is carefully pay attention to the wheels position and size. Bad wheel placement can kill the look of a car.

The0retical
The0retical Reader
3/19/13 3:21 p.m.

Oh my that is a good way to start the day. Watching for updates on this with great interest.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
3/19/13 3:25 p.m.
fanfoy wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: That's a great looking start.
Agreed. Now all they have to do is carefully pay attention to the wheels position and size. Bad wheel placement can kill the look of a car.

Just a crappy cell phone pictures, but Stewart worked hard to make sure the track and wheelbase was faithful to the body.

The arches are less lumpy than the originals. Keep in mind all the original DBR1's were hand-built prototypes with large differences between them.

(An original for comparison)

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
3/19/13 3:49 p.m.

Damn. May have to mortgage the house for this one.

Warren v
Warren v Reader
4/23/13 5:06 p.m.

Since you guys were clamoring for them, here are the pictures we just got of the complete build:

Not, bad, Stuart...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/23/13 5:30 p.m.
irish44j wrote: Am I the only one surprised at how beautiful that is and how ugly everything else they make is?

No. No you are not. I was surprised to see their name on that. That thing is lovely.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/13 5:56 p.m.

I'll bet a larger overall diameter wheel/tire package would really make that look good. I'm impressed.

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
4/23/13 6:01 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I'll bet a larger overall diameter wheel/tire package would really make that look good. I'm impressed.

Yup. It's very close. It would need bigger proper knock-off wire wheels to really pull-off the look.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
4/23/13 7:49 p.m.
Raze wrote: that's awesome, I hope it gets built, but if you really want something similar that is being built for peanuts on the dollar, Sammio Spyder: Only issue is transportation from the UK...
Warren v wrote: Since you guys were clamoring for them, here are the pictures we just got of the complete build:

Both of those are gorgeous....the green one is a little more jaguar-like

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u2S49oin6CDxllLMoXhuc1inYFDR80upNbDSPLSiLMKnm5FkIMXPrULOkuWS81wq