1 ... 4 5 6
dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
4/26/22 5:18 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:
frenchyd said:
Excellent!!   The problem is simple.  Either day care opens up earlier or work cuts him a little slack.    Or they will lose a trained and skilled mechanic.  Something there is a real shortage of.  

Or maybe he should sack up and go find another job. I busted flat rate for years and raised my daughters very well with it. Been there. Done that. A fast mechanic doesn't have to cower to anyone. Load your tools and go to greener pastures. A good mechanic doesn't need to be unemployed for more than a few hours if he doesn't want to  be.

Exactly! That's my suggestion too. My only vaguely related story above was to say, either get your manager to accept a 15 minute later starting time or find a job that will accept that. All of a sudden, splinter removed, situation resolved 100%. Stop fighting the impossible.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
4/26/22 5:26 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Do you not see the irony in you posting a paragraph about all of the rules/schedule you MUST follow, then posting that the others guys boss needs to cut him some slack? Tell your boss you're not gonna follow the schedule anymore and he needs to cut you some slack because of choices you made, see how it goes.

An excuse is a way of promising ourselves that we will have the same issue again as they only satisfy the person making them.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
4/26/22 5:29 p.m.
 That's my suggestion too. My only vaguely related story above was to say, either get your manager to accept a 15 minute later starting time or find a job that will accept that. All of a sudden, splinter removed, situation resolved 100%. Stop fighting the impossible.

I suggested that on page 3 and got a smart ass reply from Frenchie

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/26/22 6:15 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

I covered this earlier but he works for a dealership and is familiar with that brand. Trained in that brand.  
     I don't know how long he would need to work for another brand to reach that level of beating the flat rate manual  but he's behind on the mortgage due to the Covid isolation.   
So right now he can't quit.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/26/22 6:16 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:
 That's my suggestion too. My only vaguely related story above was to say, either get your manager to accept a 15 minute later starting time or find a job that will accept that. All of a sudden, splinter removed, situation resolved 100%. Stop fighting the impossible.

Please,  it's spelled properly in the upper corner.  Frenchy.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/26/22 6:20 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Do you not see the irony in you posting a paragraph about all of the rules/schedule you MUST follow, then posting that the others guys boss needs to cut him some slack? Tell your boss you're not gonna follow the schedule anymore and he needs to cut you some slack because of choices you made, see how it goes.

An excuse is a way of promising ourselves that we will have the same issue again as they only satisfy the person making them.

I've been pounding the roads for decades. Meeting schedules and appointments.   
 I don't expect many as capable of doing what I do.  Especially not a young man.  So I understand a little slack is called for.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/26/22 6:26 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

The problem isn't my neighbor.  The problem is the arbitrary way tickets are given.  
   Anyone on that section of freeway was traveling at about that speed or faster. 
     As others have said.  " they want the police doing actual police work. Solving murders  ••••••

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
4/26/22 6:27 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Then you hire him and give all the slack you can. You can't make that call on behalf of his current employer. 

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/26/22 6:33 p.m.

Frenchy, it just came to me. I know the solution.

You quit driving a school bus and go manage a dealership service department. Then you wouldn't have to be filmed and held to a tight schedule every day and you could offer whatever leeway to your mechanics that you deemed fit.

Then you can convince the dealership bean counters of the validity of your management style and see how receptive they are to your ideas.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/26/22 7:38 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

In reply to frenchyd :

Then you hire him and give all the slack you can. You can't make that call on behalf of his current employer. 

You could just say you don't care if the police are accountable.   Let them do whatever is easy and safe?  

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
4/26/22 7:41 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

I'm shocked!

well, not that shocked. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/26/22 7:42 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:

Frenchy, it just came to me. I know the solution.

You quit driving a school bus and go manage a dealership service department. Then you wouldn't have to be filmed and held to a tight schedule every day and you could offer whatever leeway to your mechanics that you deemed fit.

Then you can convince the dealership bean counters of the validity of your management style and see how receptive they are to your ideas.

I've worked for some great bosses in my career.   The one universal truth the good ones said ( and I mean good as in high profit, large volume sales)  is worry about the people. The profit and loss will respond.  

Listen to Warren Buffit, that's what he's done all of his career. 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
4/26/22 7:56 p.m.
frenchyd said:
Steve_Jones said:

In reply to frenchyd :

You could just say you don't care if the police are accountable.   Let them do whatever is easy and safe?  

So the police need to be held accountable but not the guy speeding, who is always late? He gets a pass, makes sense. 

I also have 0 desire to listen to a man who feels the need to work at 91 years old. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/27/22 8:40 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:
frenchyd said:
Steve_Jones said:

In reply to frenchyd :

So the police need to be held accountable but not the guy speeding, who is always late? He gets a pass, makes sense. 

I also have 0 desire to listen to a man who feels the need to work at 91 years old. 

People who have life and death choices as to who lives and who dies?   Yes they need controls.  
  All power is corrupting.  Absolute power is absolutely corrupting.  
   But your statement is  wrong in that we have no knowledge if he speeds every day.  If you focus on one person  you will never see the big picture.   
      Traffic on that section of freeway has historically been at least 10 mph over.  
  The highway patrol gives scant attention.  I drive up and down the freeway several times a day between going to and from work.  My route goes over that area 6 times a day. ( I cover over 100 miles a day )  In a month I'll see 3-4 patrol cars.  They are usually involved at the back up area where there are several accidents a day.  But the area in question  even a fender bender is rare. 
  Oh and as for working in old age?   Some of us feel that work is rewarding.   Considering his wealth and the charity's  he donates it to by the priority of most Americans he's very successful  

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/27/22 9:00 a.m.

I'm so glad we are helping the guy who got the ticket, and working together to find solutions to a common recurring issue..... nah F that.  Let's just see who is the most virtuous among us.  Carry on!  

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
4/27/22 11:14 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm so glad we are helping the guy who got the ticket, and working together to find solutions to a common recurring issue..... nah F that.  Let's just see who is the most virtuous among us.  Carry on!  

I am Spartacus!!!!

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v2bzM4DlqXhFkB4XcIm4VnCu5IyCKkjdLuzUV4NRpSL7fIierGkDpr85m53SHwNW