ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
5/22/20 8:38 a.m.

As covered in another thread, I'm doing an accessory wiring project on my truck. For you peeps that do a lot of this, I offer a battle of the split wire looms:

Amazon.com: 25 Feet - 1 inch Cord Protector Split Wire Loom ...

------Versus-------

Convoluted Black Split Wire Loom Tubing - 1/4" to 3-1/2"

I've always used the corrugated stuff, but I like the look of the braid.  If you've worked with both, which do you prefer? Or is there a third contender I've left out?

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/20 8:40 a.m.

I much prefer the look and working with the braid. On the other hand, I usually go with the much lower cost of the convolute loom. 

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/22/20 8:41 a.m.

Convoluted for abrasion resistance. Braided for looks and tight spaces. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/22/20 8:50 a.m.

If budget is not a factor, braid all the way. The corrugated is cheap and looks cheap by comparison.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/22/20 8:57 a.m.

I would rather use hockey tape than corrugated, and I hate hockey tape harnesses.

Nylon braid (cut with a hot knife) and then taped at the joints with self amalgamating tape or shrink boots with adhesive works nicely and isn't too expensive. 

5/22/20 9:12 a.m.

Good tips. I ordered 25' of braided to give it a whirl. Seems easier to work with than corrugated. 

Good idea on the heat shrink at the ends! I usually zip tie the corrugated but the shrink will look better. And I just bought a box of asstd heat shrink tube.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/22/20 9:52 a.m.

If you want to achieve the full Rockstar Wire rating, integrate these babies into your new loom look

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
5/22/20 10:08 a.m.

There's a couple grades of split convolute; the cheaper stuff will get brittle when exposed to engine compartment heat and start cracking after a few years of use.

We've been using Techflex F6 braid on our drop-on harnesses. The one problem it has is that it can hold onto oil more than split convolute. But it's more flexible and stands up to heat very well - I once had antifreeze soak a harness and catch on fire, and I couldn't figure out where the fire had been when I inspected the harness later.

5/22/20 10:12 a.m.
NOHOME said:

If you want to achieve the full Rockstar Wire rating, integrate these babies into your new loom look

Yeah, ima need a link on that ....

MadScientistMat - Can I ask what kind of antifreeze you were running that you set it on fire?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
5/22/20 10:16 a.m.
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) said:

MadScientistMat - Can I ask what kind of antifreeze you were running that you set it on fire?

Just some generic parts-store mix with anything stuff. I didn't expect it to burn when diluted normally either, but there was a big radiator leak and no signs of a fuel or oil leak that could have started the fire,

5/22/20 10:22 a.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

Just some generic parts-store mix with anything stuff. I didn't expect it to burn when diluted normally either, but there was a big radiator leak and no signs of a fuel or oil leak that could have started the fire,

Huh. Now I'm going to have to set fire to some stuff this weekend just to see.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/20 11:06 a.m.

Braided is a pain in the ass to loom and hard to terminate well.  But it does not look chintzy like split loom does, and the wires won't fall out over time.

You can get around that problem with split loom by putting a barber pole like wrap of electrical tape over the wires, and terminate the loom by wrapping the wires with tape and then threading the tape through the split in the loom and taping over the end, the way GM does it.

Braided is not that expensive from Summit.  I forget how much it was, but the difference in price was not enough for me to go split loom, so I have bags and bags of the braided stuff.

TenToeTurbo
TenToeTurbo Dork
5/22/20 11:09 a.m.
NOHOME said:

Yeah, ima need a link on that ....

Search for 'heat shrink cable breakout boot' aka 'cable pants'. 

5/22/20 11:15 a.m.

I will never not call these cable pants now.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/22/20 12:11 p.m.

I will never not call these cable pants now.

Also ruined this for me forever.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/22/20 1:02 p.m.

McMaster Carr has a few variants. I like dealing with McMaster as long as I have a business address to ship to; they wont do home delivery.

https://www.mcmaster.com/cable-pants-heat-shrink/heat-shrink-cable-splitters/

j_tso
j_tso Reader
5/22/20 2:15 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Did they say why? I get McMaster delivered to my apartment.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
5/22/20 2:17 p.m.

Braided. Corrugated always looks like E36 M3 and, from my experience in dealership work, tends to get brittle and disintegrate from heat and age.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y5Erg4ukLvIyQGlXO54GivLyR8hA3SQBR1LJTuPwq9QTExDHPtBRMMhPLGMXBRQ1