1 2
Teggsan
Teggsan Reader
2/27/13 8:31 p.m.

Going to juggle the cars a little bit as my wife was rear ended and her car totalled (everyone is OK).

She'll get my sedan for kid hauling and I'll drive something else.

Was thinking about a sporty convertible. Rear drive mandatory.

I actually don't mind an auto in this car. Budget well under $20K. Purpose would be daily commute (probably half the time) and date night car. A/C mandatory, though I'll plan to drop the top and leave it down unless I get caught in the rain or if it's too hot (Texas summers). Prefer something that doesn't require ridiculous maintenance.

Z4? M3 vert? Solstice? Jag XJS?

What others am I missing?

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/27/13 8:34 p.m.
Teggsan wrote: Z4? M3 vert? Solstice? Jag XJS? What others am I missing?

You are all over the board there! Do you need back seats (Z4 out) or a trunk (Solstice out)? Just how sporty is "sporty?" FYI, there is NOTHING sporty about an XJS convertible. They are like a British Cadillac, IMO.

Teggsan
Teggsan Reader
2/27/13 8:42 p.m.

In reply to SlickDizzy:

No back seats required. As for all over the board, I think it's fair to say that the M3 and Z4 are sporty, the Solstice is somewhat less so, and the Jag is better looking than it is sporty.

My biggest problem is going to be finding something I'll fit in at 6'4".

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/27/13 8:42 p.m.

As a BMW fanboi, I'd stop and start at an e46 M3 'vert. The perfect car for what you want and they suffer a price penalty compared to the coupes.

Look here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

For that matter, if you don't want the M performance, a 330i ZHP 'vert would work well too. I love my 300i ZHP sedan.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/27/13 8:45 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: As a BMW fanboi, I'd stop and start at an e46 M3 'vert. The perfect car for what you want and they suffer a price penalty compared to the coupes. Look here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33 For that matter, if you don't want the M performance, a 330i ZHP 'vert would work well too. I love my 300i ZHP sedan.

Ironically, I see a lot more M3 'verts for sale than ZHPs, and they are usually cheaper. Not sure what the deal is there. They are usually SMG, which is probably part of it...

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/27/13 8:49 p.m.

M3 'verts really have been beaten down pricewise. A buddy picked one up recently and loves it.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/27/13 9:34 p.m.

miata?

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition HalfDork
2/27/13 9:37 p.m.

Chrysler Sebring?

-- just kidding

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
2/28/13 12:04 a.m.

S2000? I'm not sure how taller folks fit in them though.

-Hamid

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
2/28/13 12:19 a.m.

Boxster or S2000

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/28/13 2:37 a.m.

FC RX-7?

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
2/28/13 6:08 a.m.

Triumph TR8. V8, rear wheel drive, ridiculously easy to maintain once you do the basic mods. Luckily most of the ones you find have already had a four barrel-cam-headers swap.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
2/28/13 6:59 a.m.

Miata is the no brainer answer here.

But if your brain hasn't been washed by all of us here and Miata isn't your answer, then what about Mustang? Can get a nice GT 'vert for under $20k.

VonSmallhausen
VonSmallhausen GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/28/13 7:10 a.m.

What about the Jag XKR, good looking, fast, and you said you don't mind an auto.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
2/28/13 7:10 a.m.

M3 was my first thought, though personally I think the convertible top makes them look weird.

I'd probably go S2K.

Chris_V
Chris_V UltraDork
2/28/13 7:11 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: Miata is the no brainer answer here. But if your brain hasn't been washed by all of us here and Miata isn't your answer, then what about Mustang? Can get a nice GT 'vert for under $20k.

yeah, I picked up my '06 GT w/5 speed for $16k:

An automatic one would have been just as fun (and possibly easier to commute in)

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
2/28/13 7:14 a.m.

I found your new car for you.

http://austin.craigslist.org/ctd/3646871560.html

rotard
rotard Dork
2/28/13 7:25 a.m.

You need to go out and drive some cars. I really disliked my M3 vert. I also wouldn't call a Z4 or M3 convertible "sportier" than a Solstice. The Miata, S2000, and Boxster/S drive and feel like sports cars. The Z4 and M3 feel like GT cars.

Go for a Corvette. Low maintenance, fast, good fuel economy, etc. It won't go through expendables like tires too fast unless you make it.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
2/28/13 7:29 a.m.

Late model XKR?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-XKR-CONVERTIBLE-SUPERCHARGED-NAV-HTD-LTH-ALPINE-18IN-WHLS-70K-WE-FINANCE-/321073487552?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4ac1789ec0

More realistically, I'd go Miata or C5.

RossD
RossD UberDork
2/28/13 7:29 a.m.

If an automatic is acceptable, there is only one correct convertible. The best corvette convertible you can afford. Probably a C4.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
2/28/13 7:53 a.m.
Teggsan wrote: In reply to SlickDizzy: No back seats required. As for all over the board, I think it's fair to say that the M3 and Z4 are sporty, the Solstice is somewhat less so, and the Jag is better looking than it is sporty. My biggest problem is going to be finding something I'll fit in at 6'4".

Your best bets for plenty of headroom in a convertible would be a Corvette or 3-series BMW.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
2/28/13 8:03 a.m.
jstein77 wrote: I found your new car for you. http://austin.craigslist.org/ctd/3646871560.html

I agree with this. Just add about 2k in mods and be at 500rwhp.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/28/13 8:26 a.m.

Yep, C5. You might find a C6 with lots of miles, or get a very nice C4 with lots of cash left over.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/13 9:06 a.m.
Chris_V wrote:
Klayfish wrote: Miata is the no brainer answer here. But if your brain hasn't been washed by all of us here and Miata isn't your answer, then what about Mustang? Can get a nice GT 'vert for under $20k.
yeah, I picked up my '06 GT w/5 speed for $16k: An automatic one would have been just as fun (and possibly easier to commute in)

This was going to be my suggestion, too.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
2/28/13 9:14 a.m.

In reply to Ranger50:

Let me fix that for you; Just add about 2k in mods and have handling. The 03-04 Cobra, at 390 hp, would get a trip through the Maximum Motorsports catalog way before a trip to the tuners if someone wants a good all-arounder.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jbj7hEwS6t8sj1jdzKjrJTvIsFEcO2G8Ioka934FanAOWWdTEliPauIJKS7P82Ye