1 2
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
12/2/15 5:47 p.m.

I have an opportunity on one with 100,000 miles, gently crashed. Last time I looked a couple of years ago, they seemed to be in the $6-8k range for a decent one. Have the boost fans moved on to the next big thing?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/2/15 5:53 p.m.

On a related note, we have a piece on Doug Wind's amazing SRT-4 on deck.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
12/2/15 8:02 p.m.

I haven't seen a clean, unmolested SRT-4 since they were still sold new. If you find one, snag it.

I did get revved at the other day by one that had hit everything but the lottery, had the loudest blow off valve ever, and had a license plate frame that said "Bye Felicia" on it. I chortled.

calteg
calteg HalfDork
12/2/15 8:08 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: I did get revved at the other day by one that had hit everything but the lottery,

This made me chortle as well. I love that everyone is going gaga over the new breed of high HP FWD cars. Pretty sure the SRT-4s made an honest 300hp over a decade ago. Refinement? Bah, who needs refinement, or handling, or a tight turning radius?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
12/2/15 8:11 p.m.

I still want one. My area, rough ones are finally down to 4k. Cleanish ones are 6-7 still. Too rich for my blood.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/2/15 10:57 p.m.

What does a decent SRT4 engine and trans go for? There are quite a few K-cars and GenI Neons that would benefit. Or one from a GT Cruiser.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/2/15 11:52 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: What does a decent SRT4 engine and trans go for? There are quite a few K-cars and GenI Neons that would benefit. Or one from a GT Cruiser.

About $100 after parting the car around it.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
12/3/15 5:55 a.m.

Man I haven't seen any clean SRT neons in ages. In fact I haven't even seen a ratty one. Neons in general are getting pretty thin around here.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/3/15 7:25 a.m.

Clean ones are still expensive. Like, really clean ones are over 10k.

But E36 M3ty ones are finally cheap.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/3/15 8:03 a.m.

I know we're a clean black one is, with only 23,000 on the clock. $16,000 reflects that.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/3/15 8:04 a.m.

Here's one for sub-challenge price. stock but needs trans work http://annarbor.craigslist.org/cto/5305453443.html

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/3/15 8:08 a.m.

Even if you put $2000 of trans work into it, that's,a clean looking sub-$4,000 car.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Reader
12/3/15 9:40 a.m.

That seems like a great deal. When I hear "won't go into hear" that sounds more like clutch problems. Do those have hydraulic or cable clutches?

wae
wae HalfDork
12/3/15 10:05 a.m.

Hydro

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/3/15 11:11 a.m.

So...are we thinking low fluid or the throw-out bearing?

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/15 11:16 a.m.

Or the disc itself has failed and jammed in the assembly.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
12/3/15 11:21 a.m.

Man, I can't remember the last time I saw a non-ratty SRT-4. There's a flat black one that I occasionally see on my way to work with a goofy "custom side exit" exhaust hanging off the bottom.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Reader
12/3/15 11:30 a.m.

My first guess would be master or slave cylinder, guess being the operative word. But even if it did need a trans if you do your own work that is about the cheapest way youre going to get into one of those. Of course its in MI, so it could be a rust bucket underneath.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/15 11:31 a.m.

I dynoed one when it was new. Quite a ride on a roller dyno, it wanted to go everywhere. We had all the straps on it. And it was already ratty

Just pulled up the dyno chart. 249.1 hp, 283 tq corrected. The party was pretty much over at 5300. Corrected is important at 5000', depending on if it had manual or electronic boost control.

aw614
aw614 New Reader
12/3/15 12:18 p.m.

I've seen a few clean ones in my area, talking to one of the owners at an autox, seems most of the owners of clean ones bought them new as their first "performance" car and have kept it as a 2nd car into their late 20s, early 30s.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
12/3/15 5:08 p.m.

In reply to aw614: Sport economy cars and hot hatches are performance cars, they're not just a handling package for the base car.

Toebra
Toebra Reader
12/3/15 5:21 p.m.

Guy I got my 914 has a low mile, unmolested SRT4. He also has one of those diesel Rabbit pickups. I am pretty sure he still has a few Mopar muscle cars, at least one winged warrior, and a 440 six pack Cuda that will pass anything but a gas station. He had a Hemi Roadrunner convertible that he got for $1000 and sold for 6 figures. It was arrow straight, rust free, original paint with rotted top and interior and a 383 when he bought it. Got the right motor, and put a new interior and top on it and sold it to some guy that drove it home to Nebraska.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
12/3/15 5:29 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I dynoed one when it was new. Quite a ride on a roller dyno, it wanted to go everywhere. We had all the straps on it. And it was already ratty Just pulled up the dyno chart. 249.1 hp, 283 tq corrected. The party was pretty much over at 5300. Corrected is important at 5000', depending on if it had manual or electronic boost control.

5300 sounds about right. I put one together last year, stuffed all the important bits from a badly crashed one into a 02 RT body. 6000rpm redline is all done, but they make a boatload of torque down low. Its one of those cars that the 1-2 shift happens so quickly and with such fury you have to learn to drive it. Its also pretty much impossible to hit the very fine line between bog and wheelhop.

Scottah
Scottah Dork
12/3/15 6:29 p.m.

I don't know why they're such D-bag magnets. Around here they're on Craigslist for trade for a civic or 240 all the time. I don't think I've ever seen an SRT4 without black wheels on it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/3/15 7:36 p.m.

These things really were the Plymouth Roadrunners of their time.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dpDmh6EENXhqcf8N238Tw7dFdYsVFf4w5mAHESTXMxZahsEVJgOTQE5CCRrSL2iO