Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
3/19/24 9:49 p.m.

So.  Who is the next most reliable manufacturer of measuring instruments?

https://toolguyd.com/starrett-acquisition-2024/

brandonsmash
brandonsmash GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/19/24 11:24 p.m.

Mitutoyo. New Starrett measuring implements after this acquisition will have a lot to prove, and equity groups have a history of gutting the core competencies from companies. 

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/20/24 4:57 a.m.
brandonsmash said:

Mitutoyo.  

Or Brown & Sharpe 

chada75
chada75 HalfDork
3/31/24 1:47 a.m.

Worked at Starrett im NC. I tested the roll of Saw Blades. Pretty cool job. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/31/24 5:51 a.m.
preach said:
brandonsmash said:

Mitutoyo.  

Or Brown & Sharpe 

Came to say this. 

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/31/24 8:05 p.m.

Sort of related question. Is it better to buy used but high quality micrometers, calipers, etc off FB, or lower quality stuff via amazon?

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
3/31/24 8:15 p.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:

Sort of related question. Is it better to buy used but high quality micrometers, calipers, etc off FB, or lower quality stuff via amazon?

I've bought decent used micrometers off FB market plus the retiring machinist has a story to tell.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
3/31/24 8:17 p.m.
CrustyRedXpress said:

You can usually get them checked and recertified.  I'd get old ones and test them against known measurements 

Shaun
Shaun Dork
4/1/24 3:04 p.m.

My family very carefully researched assisted living facilities before moving my 94 year aunt into one six months ago.  Great sales experience- hugs and high fives!!  Things were great!! 

Two months later private equity bought the facility.  Here are just two samples of the evil fog that descended:  The new contract we were presented stipulated a 6 week retroactive change in cost, and also stated "we encourage our residents to do their own laundry" and stopped doing the residents laundry in a facility that had two big commercial washers and dryers in a dank basement mechanical room.

Shaun
Shaun Dork
4/1/24 3:05 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

Depends on the use-  I have both.  Crappy ones off of the big river are good for dirty clumsy fast work, and good ones for careful clean work.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/1/24 6:06 p.m.
Shaun said:

My family very carefully researched assisted living facilities before moving my 94 year aunt into one six months ago.  Great sales experience- hugs and high fives!!  Things were great!! 

Two months later private equity bought the facility.  Here are just two samples of the evil fog that descended:  The new contract we were presented stipulated a 6 week retroactive change in cost, and also stated "we encourage our residents to do their own laundry" and stopped doing the residents laundry in a facility that had two big commercial washers and dryers in a dank basement mechanical room.

I'm not liking that.

It needs to end.  And the carried interest loophole, one of the cornerstones of this legal robbery, would have ended if a certain Arizona Democrat had not broken ranks with the rest of her party and voted to save it.  Incidentally, she decided not to run again.  And probably never needs to work again thanks to the PE friends she made.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nuZ8357RhiyRlvBBNBbHXz3NWecqdhodAynB1TxWPmj9zVb1RpPvJtHh2ucMnlo2