1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
3/8/22 5:36 p.m.

At Costco while getting gas I ask the other truck or full sized van guys what sales number on the pump they hit.  

Today I hit $86 and the Ford work van hit $96.   Last week I beat out another Silverado.   

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/8/22 5:41 p.m.
JAdams said:

In reply to mtn :

But that's not as cool looking as my $100k F250 Kick Ranch Diesel that hauls 10 bags of mulch better than anything a sissy mini van could ever. /s

I know it is sarcasm, but this is the reason that most people own a truck. It is the reason that I want one. I like driving a truck, I like having the open bed, I like that it makes me feel manly. And I've been that guy - I had a C2500, long bed, extended cab. Gigantic, but the only real truck thing I did with it was tow a boat that I can tow with my minivan now. But I sure as hell liked it, and I will have another some day. But I'm not fooling myself into the fact that it is the best application for the job. I just like to make me happy.

Trucks have become the middle manager pseudo luxury sedan of old. Nothing wrong with that. But to say that most people have a truck for a reason is... Well, lets just be honest about what that reason is. Most [1/2 ton] truck sales are not to farmers or people who tow racecars. It is the reason why the Maverick, Santa Cruz, Ridgeline, etc. make so much sense to me. 

Getting back to gas prices... I'd say that there is significant price gouging going on. I don't really have a problem with that, other than the fact that I divested all of my BP shares about 6 years ago, but that is on me. Oh well, I own Rivian shares now. 20 years from now, I bet that we don't see any trucks that aren't at least 1 ton and bigger that are powered by ICE - I think that the market will just naturally bear that out.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/8/22 6:07 p.m.

I've never felt "manly" driving a truck. I've owned and driven 1/2 ton gm trucks most of my life. I must be doing something wrong obviously. Then again I'm not your typical "guy". 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/8/22 6:35 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Get a bigger truck. Lol

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
3/8/22 7:38 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

At Costco while getting gas I ask the other truck or full sized van guys what sales number on the pump they hit.  

Today I hit $86 and the Ford work van hit $96.   Last week I beat out another Silverado.   

I threw $100 in on Saturday at $4.76 and it did not fill my Chevy Express van....

I have not paid $5 a gallon yet but I think I did years ago when gas spiked !

But next time will be $5 plus.....

Raman noodles diet ?

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/8/22 9:26 p.m.
mtn said:
JAdams said:

In reply to mtn :

But that's not as cool looking as my $100k F250 Kick Ranch Diesel that hauls 10 bags of mulch better than anything a sissy mini van could ever. /s

I know it is sarcasm, but this is the reason that most people own a truck. It is the reason that I want one. I like driving a truck, I like having the open bed, I like that it makes me feel manly. And I've been that guy - I had a C2500, long bed, extended cab. Gigantic, but the only real truck thing I did with it was tow a boat that I can tow with my minivan now. But I sure as hell liked it, and I will have another some day. But I'm not fooling myself into the fact that it is the best application for the job. I just like to make me happy.

Trucks have become the middle manager pseudo luxury sedan of old. Nothing wrong with that. But to say that most people have a truck for a reason is... Well, lets just be honest about what that reason is. Most [1/2 ton] truck sales are not to farmers or people who tow racecars. It is the reason why the Maverick, Santa Cruz, Ridgeline, etc. make so much sense to me. 

Getting back to gas prices... I'd say that there is significant price gouging going on. I don't really have a problem with that, other than the fact that I divested all of my BP shares about 6 years ago, but that is on me. Oh well, I own Rivian shares now. 20 years from now, I bet that we don't see any trucks that aren't at least 1 ton and bigger that are powered by ICE - I think that the market will just naturally bear that out.

I work a truck.  Nothing manly about it. I like cruise control and A/C nice interior  etc. I like it to match the trailer and the race car. Somehow that looks more finished. Professional even. 
     I calculated  I've got over 2& 1/2 million miles driving a truck of one sort or another. From Semi's to El Camino's.  I tried selling out of a Corvette but my sales dropped by 50%.  And picked right back up when I was driving my pickup. 
 I don't have to grind gears in a semi to feel macho.I've used Granny to grind my way up Donner pass every 10 days for 9 months   I've driven a USA double bottom semi from Subic Bay  to Manila 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/9/22 1:03 a.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to bobzilla :

Get a bigger truck. Lol

I don't need a truck to feel "manly". Or any vehicle. I race a berkeleying Rio. I don't need to prove my manhood every thirty seconds. We have the truck that suits our needs best. But there will still be those bemoaning we even have a truck because "we can just go rent one" when we need it. Except ours has been paid off for over 10 years. 

whatever. I'm done with the finger pointing and bullE36 M3. Wanna blame people with trucks fine. I'll blame people with electric cars for my electric bill spiking. No one wins with this game. 

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
3/9/22 1:06 a.m.

Over six bucks/gallon plus a near four buck credit card surcharge for about 12 gallons today north of San Diego.  Ouch,

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
3/9/22 6:56 a.m.
bobzilla said:whatever. I'm done with the finger pointing and bullE36 M3. Wanna blame people with trucks fine. I'll blame people with electric cars for my electric bill spiking. No one wins with this game. 

Ahh, but your (and my) truck use is part of what adds to the demand for oil, which is a globally traded commodity by speculators worried about supply and demand and worldwide strife. Gas prices are affected by that. Your electric bill spikes ONLY due to your own use, not anyone else's use. So my electric car only affects my own electric use, not YOUR bill, but the price stays regulated and pretty constant. My electricity cost has been constant at about 10c/kWh over the last decade regardless of demand. It simply cannot fluctuate like oil does as it's not a globally traded commodity. And as we bring more renewables online (and people get more things like solar on their own homes) that pricing will necessarily remain pretty constant, if not DROP overall.

My Suburban 8.1 liter costs about $140 to go 300 miles. My MINI costs about $45 to go the same 300 miles, and my Bolt costs me $6 to go the same distance. And that won't affect your electric bill any more than me running the house AC or heating up my hot tub in the winter.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/9/22 7:16 a.m.

In reply to Chris_V :

I was referring to the increase in cost of the electricity not the usage. We've seen a 10% increase twice in a year in our cost per kWh. 
our 4.8 will cost $90 towing a trailer for 345 miles or $54 unloaded. Rio won't even really go 345 miles because tiny tank but 300 miles is about $38. Truck gets used about once a month Rio gets used daily. How again is my truck choice affecting you? 

oh right... all truck owners are just flashing their pee pee size and don't use it. Got it. Consider me "schooled" 

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
3/9/22 7:25 a.m.

I'm not thrilled with the rate of increase in prices at this point...  As of lunchtime yesterday, 93 was reported in at around $4.60-ish for most of the cheaper stations around here with a couple still selling for $4.49.  Went to one of those yesterday evening and ended up paying $4.89 to fill up the BMW.  Looked around online again when I got home, the cheapest station I saw was showing $4.79 for 93.  And I drove past a few wanting well over $5.  That's a heck of a jump in 1 day. 

In reply to bobzilla :

The "most truck owners don't need trucks" thing only really applies to people who use a truck as their primary vehicle, drive it to work every day, etc.  If someone has a truck as a second vehicle, it's much more often because they need it. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/9/22 7:34 a.m.

I thought that long ago both sides here had established that people who actually use their trucks for truck things were understood to be exempt from the generic complaint about people who drive half-ton-plus trucks and SUVs as single-occupant paved-road commuter vehicles.

Sheesh.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/9/22 7:40 a.m.

"Most people don't need trucks" should be extended to "most people just need a two seat fuel economy car to commute with" - since a vast majority of commuters do it on their own.  

And it's REALLY ironic for a sports car board to complain about people buying a vehicle they don't "need".  Again.

Seems that we should be looking at quarterly earnings of oil companies, as the year progresses.  I wonder how much of this inflation is being blamed on the war, but the reality is that companies are maxing profit opportunities.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/9/22 7:47 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Considering the bath most of them took in '20 and '21, I don't really blame them.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
3/9/22 8:00 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to Chris_V :

I was referring to the increase in cost of the electricity not the usage. We've seen a 10% increase twice in a year in our cost per kWh.

And my electricity has been at 10c/kWh for a decade. Your point? Electricity is not publicly traded as a commodity based on supply and demand. it's just not.

our 4.8 will cost $90 towing a trailer for 345 miles or $54 unloaded. Rio won't even really go 345 miles because tiny tank but 300 miles is about $38. Truck gets used about once a month Rio gets used daily. How again is my truck choice affecting you?

Same way MY use of MY 8.1 liter truck is affecting everyone else: demand for oil. A globally traded commodity and I'll repeat that until it sinks in. EVERY ONE OF US that uses a big vehicle with crap fuel mileage affects the prices for everyone else regardless of locale. That's how it works. OTOH, using EVS does NOT affect the price of electricity for anyone else in most locales.

oh right... all truck owners are just flashing their pee pee size and don't use it. Got it. Consider me "schooled" 

Did I say that? You seem to have a real reading comprehension problem. ALL of us who use too much vehicle are affecting the prices for everyone else. When Covid hit, demand (travel commuting) fell off a cliff and there was a supply glut. That dropped the priced of oil off a cliff (to negative numbers on the global market) and we saw gas prices well under $2/gallon in many places. Refineries were shuttered as were drilling operations. This year demand rose sharply as people started re-entering the commute in great numbers and people started traveling a lot more due to those lower prices. This caused demand to shoot up, but production was still slow due to how long it takes to get drilling operations back up and refineries working again (which was double affected by cold weather keeping refineries even in the deep south non-operational). This meant that DEMAND outstripped supply. And free market economies being what they are shot oil prices (and thus gasoline prices) through the roof. EVERYONE who contributed to the demand, be it people in overly large trucks or racers doing unnecessary driving, are part of the cause of this. So yes, whether you use your truck as a pee pee extension or a tow vehicle for a race car/camper/mulch runs, it's contributing to the problem, as is mine. Even your Rio race car or me using my MINI for pleasure driving is part of the problem. Until we admit that, we really can't complain about the pricing.

Over on the electric side, electricity demand has been increasing greatly (with bitcoin mining contributing to over 100 TERAWATTS of electrical use itself) but prices have in general been holding steady even with distribution problems in some places (like California and Texas). Why? Because electricity is not a globally traded commodity, and it's been relatively easy to meet increasing demand and will be even as we add EVs to the mix, same as when the US added residential and commercial air conditioning to the mix a few decades back.

No Time
No Time SuperDork
3/9/22 8:01 a.m.

I was going to insert a meme about things escalating quickly, but decided that wasn't going to be helpful, and only shift some of the anger towards me for poking fun.

It seems like there was a comment that seemed to be meant in jest, triggered a defensive reaction, and now we are moving from discussion around gas prices, to assigning blame for prices to specific user groups. 

Seems like the Truck/SUV vs High MPG/EV has become a substitute for political debates, leading to a lot of heated arguments where people are intent on trying to change someone's mind on the internet. 

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/9/22 8:07 a.m.

I just got done watching the morning news and all they talked about was fuel prices and how the cost of oil affects more than transportation. They gave the impression that even shampoo is going up because of this. While this is true I think it is sensational and lends to more price increases. Yes the bottle of shampoo is made from hydrocarbon derivatives it is a small fraction of the cost of the product, so is the transport. I think the system is so complex and hard to understand that the price isn't related to the cost it is just a matter of what the market will bear. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/9/22 8:11 a.m.
Chris_V said:
bobzilla said:

In reply to Chris_V :

And my electricity has ben at 10c/kWh for a decade. Your point? Electricity is not publicly traded as a commodity based on supply and demand. it's just not.

Same way MY use of MY 8.1 liter truck is affecting everyone else: demand for oil. A globally traded commodity and I'll repeat that until it sinks in. EVERY ONE OF US that uses a big vehicle with crap fuel mileage affects the prices for everyone else regardless of locale. That's how it works. OTOH, using EVS does NOT affect the price of electricity for anyone else in most locales.

Did I say that? You seem to have a real reading comprehension problem. ALL of us who use too much vehicle are affecting the prices for everyone else. When Covid hit, demand (travel commuting) fell off a cliff and there was a supply glut. That dropped the priced of oil off a cliff (to negative numbers on the global market) and we saw gas prices well under $2/gallon in many places. Refineries were shuttered as were drilling operations. This year demand rose sharply as people started re-entering the commute in great numbers and people started traveling a lot more due to those lower prices. This caused demand to shoot up, but production was still slow due to how long it takes to get drilling operations back up and refineries working again (which was double affected by cold weather keeping refineries even in the deep south non-operational). This meant that DEMAND outstripped supply. And free market economies being what they are shot oil prices (and thus gasoline prices) through the roof. EVERYONE who contributed to the demand, be it people in overly large trucks or racers doing unnecessary driving, are part of the cause of this. So yes, whether you use your truck as a pee pee extension or a tow vehicle for a race car/camper/mulch runs, it's contributing to the problem, as is mine. Even your Rio race car or me using my MINI for pleasure driving is part of the problem. Until we admit that, we really can't complain about the pricing.

Over on the electric side, electricity demand has been increasing greatly (with bitcoin mining contributing to over 100 TERAWATTS of electrical use itself) but prices have in general been holding steady even with distribution problems in some places (like California and Texas). Why? Because electricity is not a globally traded commodity, and it's been relatively easy to meet increasing demand and will be even as we add EVs to the mix, same as when the US added residential and commercial air conditioning to the mix a few decades back.

In Minnesota most counties have a deal where the utility company will install solar on your roof for no out of pocket cost. Simply add the cost to your utility bill which will be offset by the energy produced. 
   The utilities make a profit selling your surplus energy and replace expensive big power plants. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/9/22 8:15 a.m.

In reply to Chris_V :

Well, I'm not using a vehicle with crap economy, and the worst of the fleet gets used about once a month.A tank of fuel typically lasts 6-8 weeks. It holds a whopping 25 gallons. It's averaging 21+mpg highway and 18-19 if I have to use it for work. Just because it's a larger truck doesn't make it a gas guzzler. 

So how is a vehicle that isn't being used affecting fuel prices again? 

I wish someone would tell our local electric companies that they aren't raising costs, because we are seeing it in the monthly statement. Unless I am makin that up too. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/9/22 8:19 a.m.
No Time said:

I was going to insert a meme about things escalating quickly, but decided that wasn't going to be helpful, and only shift some of the anger towards me for poking fun.

It seems like there was a comment that seemed to be meant in jest, triggered a defensive reaction, and now we are moving from discussion around gas prices, to assigning blame for prices to specific user groups. 

Seems like the Truck/SUV vs High MPG/EV has become a substitute for political debates, leading to a lot of heated arguments where people are intent on trying to change someone's mind on the internet. 

some of us have both, so why are being targeted for a small portion of our fleet again? 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/9/22 8:20 a.m.

It cost me $161.23 to fill up this morning. 

I fill twice a week. At this rate I will be close to $17,000 this year for gas alone for only 1 vehicle. 

Opti
Opti Dork
3/9/22 8:31 a.m.

I agree that most people dont need a truck, and I routinely poke fun of all the cowboy cadillacs I see running around, but I dont actually care about someone choosing to daily a 1 ton truck. No one needs a sports car, and Ive got one of them also.

I also dont blame high gas prices on people driving trucks because less than half of a barrel of oil goes towards gasoline, and it's just one of the thousands of things that oil is used for.  I could not even own a vehicle and use more oil than someone that drives a truck to work everyday.

BTW electricity is absolutely publicly traded, it's not the same as crude or as common but it exists.

wae
wae PowerDork
3/9/22 8:32 a.m.
Chris_V said:
bobzilla said:

In reply to Chris_V :

And my electricity has been at 10c/kWh for a decade. Your point? Electricity is not publicly traded as a commodity based on supply and demand. it's just not.

I really don't want to wade into this, whatever this is, but I'm curious about that point.  I was under the impression that the various utility companies would buy and sell KW on some sort of market that wasn't completely dissimilar from basic commodity trading.  For example, there was a bit on the news locally not too long ago that because of <some reason I don't remember> the local utility, Duke, had to "buy energy on the open market at a higher rate" than what they would normally incur when they generated that power themselves at one of their plants.

Again, I have no dog in this fight, just intellectual curiosity.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/9/22 8:34 a.m.

In reply to wae :

there is, they do and assuming otherwise is ignorance. I don't know the specifics, just like I don't know how oil futures are traded. 

Over the last five years we have watched our electric RATES increase while our usage DECREASED. We are paying more now for less usage because of things we did to make the house more efficient (upradng insulation, insulated siding, repacing older siding doors wih modern efficient,heat pup upgrade etc).We used 110 less kWh his January over last Jan bu our bill was $60 more.

Opti
Opti Dork
3/9/22 8:38 a.m.

In reply to wae :

Yah its why a bunch of people in TX who buy energy from a wholesale supplier and pay the spot price got MASSIVE energy bills after last year snowmaggedon.

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tezpqF1SG0vcxdXWkwbvOOTGJ4ZyuyVFrIXSyvjaEbUsrenAyRlOTqvfuldpKmsn