1 2
Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
9/19/24 3:12 p.m.

If we're posting pics of our favorite Fox Bodies, I might as well drop my two favorites here:

Calypso Green Notch:

1985-86 Mustang GT in red:

Both of those are high on my "favorite cars ever" list. 

stukndapast
stukndapast Reader
9/19/24 3:36 p.m.

The addition of properly installed subframe connectors will make a world of difference in the handling. 

Getting loose on power application in a turn is the infamous Fox snap oversteer, which isn't usually well controlled.  Rear suspension mods definitely help, especially LCA bushings.  But DON"T make the mistake of putting poly bushings in the rear UCA's, the rear suspension has to move or it will bind due to the crazy control arm angles.  It will wallow like a pig and tear the upper arm torque boxes out.

My Fox (ex), four banger style.  

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
9/19/24 3:47 p.m.
z31maniac said:
DirtyBird222 said:

Is it because all of the Nissan 240SX chassis are trashed so the enthusiasm moved over to the next most affordable/compact RWD chassis from that generation? 

Fox bodies have always had a huge following. 

Really, the Mustang has always been popular? You don't say. 

Anyways, I was speaking in regards to their resurgence in popularity coupled with the fact a lot of the driftor bois utilizing the chassis for events now too. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
9/19/24 5:36 p.m.

I thought I wanted a notch but I've grown to like the hatch more.

tester (Forum Supporter)
tester (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
9/19/24 5:57 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

I really like that combo. 

RacingComputers
RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/19/24 6:06 p.m.

Griggs suspension Baer Brakes

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/24 7:12 p.m.
Coniglio Rampante said:
z31maniac said:
DirtyBird222 said:

Is it because all of the Nissan 240SX chassis are trashed so the enthusiasm moved over to the next most affordable/compact RWD chassis from that generation? 

Fox bodies have always had a huge following. 

Sure did/does.  And it was like the aftermarket just exploded with products overnight.  Chassis/suspension, intake/exhaust, bolt-on cylinder heads (from one of the 351's, Cleveland, Windsor, or maybe both...I don't recall now), forced induction, everything.  That model was crazy-popular and easy/relatively inexpensive to upgrade.

Oddly enough it was the Fox bodies that spawned the Windsor aftermarket heads revolution.  Before the Fox, your options for an 8.2 deck engine (or a 351W I guess) were basically just ported pre-1977 351W heads (after 1977, they were the same castings as 302) because the smallish performance engine was the Cleveland.  NASCAR ran/runs(?) Cleveland based engines and so did Pro Stock.  The Windsor wasn't considered much of a performance engine unless you were into 289s.

You can technically run Cleveland heads on a Windsor block but it's screwy because you need a specific intake manifold and pistons.  The aftermarket Windsor heads available since the 90s are way better than Clevelands ever were because Clevelands had crappy port shapes with waaaay too much volume for a small engine.  351C-4V heads had the same size ports as a 429/460!

But Cleveland valve covers look soooo much better smiley

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/19/24 7:17 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

If we're posting pics of our favorite Fox Bodies, I might as well drop my two favorites here:

Calypso Green Notch:

1985-86 Mustang GT in red:

Both of those are high on my "favorite cars ever" list. 

I know we’ve had this debate before, but 10 holes or five-spokes? 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
9/19/24 7:57 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I love the Bullet wheels on my car but I'd vote 10 holes.......they are just so 80's.

RacingComputers
RacingComputers GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/19/24 8:16 p.m.

Have had both

Plain Jane COP CAR wheeels ofr the WIN

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Nzj8ovVYy5pBdaPG1RhPg0vo3qcYbbheBVdQdgNusRlLhcA3hMRyMzgBlcI3pAQT