1 2
Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/10/13 10:37 a.m.

Over the weekend, the DeLorean's engine backfired when shutting it down and unbeknownst to me at the time blew one of the injector block-off plugs off and to who knows where (likely hiding under the piping in the VOD someplace), which I discovered about a mile out and had to come up with a way to seal off the rather large vacuum leak on that cylinder so it would run properly. The eventual solution was to pull the plastic cap off of a bottle of water, which happened to be just about the right size to fit over the injector mount and that was held firmly in place by engine vacuum when it was running.

This is one of the most unusual things I've used to (at least temporarily) repair a car- I'm curious what other weird things the other creative GRMers have used to get their cars back going again in a pinch.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
9/10/13 10:40 a.m.

I'm betting I'm not the only that has wrapped a soup can around a broken exhaust pipe.

I've set the points on the Mini, using a match (cardboard book type, not wooden kitchen type) to gap 'em.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
9/10/13 10:49 a.m.

I unplugged a wiper/washer nozzle by biting my fingernail off and using it as a pick. Does that count or do I need to start a "strangest tool" thread?

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/10/13 10:53 a.m.

Used my wallet as a toolbox once. I still shiver at the memory.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/10/13 10:55 a.m.

I had a friend use a rock and a piece of coat hanger to wedge a spark plug back into the cylinder head of his motorcycle, after the threads stripped and shot the plug hanging from the wire into his leg.

The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
9/10/13 10:57 a.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote: I'm betting I'm not the only that has wrapped a soup can around a broken exhaust pipe. I've set the points on the Mini, using a match (cardboard book type, not wooden kitchen type) to gap 'em.

After a few tries to patch the exhaust on a recalcitrant Neon, I rage quit "proper" repair attempts and wrapped a license plate around it with large hose clamps.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
9/10/13 10:57 a.m.

I used a porch door spring as a starting point for the throttle return on a '72 SAAB 99e. The return wraps around the throttle shaft so it needed a particular shape. Looked and worked perfectly when I was done (two hours later).

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
9/10/13 11:04 a.m.

I rebushed the shifter in my Yugo by filling the hole with jb weld and boring it out.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
9/10/13 11:11 a.m.

There was one dude on the internet who used water heaters and washing machines as a car one time.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/10/13 11:38 a.m.

I used half a dollar bill and two small hose clamps to fix a leaky hard fuel line once. Worked great.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/10/13 11:55 a.m.

I used a chunk of something I found on the side of the road to wedge the governor open on my old Nissan so that it would shift out of first gear, after it stripped the governor gear. Again.

Wouldn't have been so bad if "2" was "manual 2" and not "Drive minus third gear".

dabird
dabird Reader
9/10/13 12:04 p.m.

the piece holding my accelerator pedal to the throttle cable in my 65 galaxie snapped in half one night in the middle of a downpour. I took my shoe lace out of my shoe, tied it to the cable and drove home operating the accelerator by hand

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/10/13 12:04 p.m.

2x2 treated lumber, beach sand, drywall screws, coat hanger, dental floss, an old sock, surgical tubing, PVC pipe, dryer vent, cove base...the list goes on.

steronz
steronz Reader
9/10/13 12:53 p.m.

Behold, the hole in a stock B20Z (Honda CR-V) manifold upon which sits a giant, useless air chamber that won't clear the hood in my Integra. Behold next to it a normal Gerber baby food jar lid.

Ends up it's a press fit, tapped in with a hammer. Started out as a stop-gap solution, been 3 years now.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
9/10/13 1:05 p.m.

I have a hole in my RX7's airbox plugged with a synthetic wine cork.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
9/10/13 3:00 p.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote: I'm betting I'm not the only that has wrapped a soup can around a broken exhaust pipe. I've set the points on the Mini, using a match (cardboard book type, not wooden kitchen type) to gap 'em.

I preferred using cans from Bud tallboys on my Impala. At the time I was living in a, uh, vintage mobile home, so any leftover cans were used to patch my house (Chez House-on-Wheels.)

I also used an oak dowel center bored and cut in half, then packed with axle grease to replace the firewall gas pedal pivot bushing on a 1970 Opel Kadett. It was a permanent fix and seemed fine although I never actually got the car running. It had a spray can cap packing-taped over one of the Solex 1bbl carbs by the PO when I got it, and that was still the least of the problems.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/10/13 3:26 p.m.

There is nothing off limits when fixing a car. .. . . I used a couple disposable diapers (removed the plastic exterior) a couple large rubber bands and some hardware cloth as an air filter once. Befor anyone asks they were new not used.

Overflow containers and oil catch cans have been made from about every plastic and metal food container from my kitchen over the years.

Commercial EPDM roofing makes a great gasket material. Neoprene flashing is even better as it stands up better to oil and grease.

Alu step flashing for shingle roofs makes great patch pieces for body work.

Firestone PS4020 semi cured self adhering flashing membrane is great for fast repairs to damaged cars during a race. (We were doing this long before Nascar started using something similar). The poor mans solution is to get the Ice and Weather shield from homedepo (you want the smooth surfaced not the granular surfaced). Just as good and you get 4x as much for 1/3 the price and it comes in 36 inches wide rolls.

You can use the PS4020 to "fix" rust holes as well. I did this for several people so there cars would pass inspection.

Replaced the hinges on my 72 Impala's glove box with cabinet hinges from my nuts and bolts bin.

You do realize that this thread can be reversed and that car parts are great for fixing home appliances. I made it in to "say what" for fixing my washing machine drain hose (the one form the drum to the pump) with the upper radiator hose from an 80's something Honda accord. Come to think of it I think my brother is still using that washing machine. LOL

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
9/10/13 3:27 p.m.

A nickel 2-part-epoxied to brake pedal lever to fix a brake light switch that wouldn't full push back in as the pedal was released.

Best one was probably the pine carburetor adapter plate for the weber on the General Tso. Work berkeleying brilliantly until it got wet. We also used a quarter and some RTV to plug a spot where a vacuum line was supposed to be.

Also on a 1st gen CRX: We lost a woodruff key in the dark/dirt at CMP in a late night thrash to cobble together a running engine out of a pile of parts. Kevin's buddy Will fashioned one out of a beer cap.

Beer caps (free) used as washers is a pretty common theme on our Challenge cars.

There's also a rubber firewall plug on 1st gens that is the perfect size to fit the hole left by removing the door locks (as I'm sure there is on most cars.)

I was pretty berkeleying impressed with the $1 first gear nitrous window switch my brother made with a length of cable attached to the shifter and a radio shack 1/8" plug in the dash on the first Challenge car.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
9/10/13 3:42 p.m.

Hole in cylinder head of my pickup blew out the JB weld plug back in February about 50miles from home. I went to a hardware store because there wasn't any autoparts stores close. Found two part plumbers epoxy for fixing pipes. Stuff it it into the hole and it is still holder 6 months later and doesn't even leak.

The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
9/10/13 3:54 p.m.

One time I flew through a very deep puddle in my old, long gone, '86 300 ZX and soaked the air filter. I shut it off quickly enough to avoid any damage but I was about 30 miles from home.

If you've ever messed with an N/A Z31 intake tube tract you know it's a long and convoluted process to get the air from the atmosphere to the throttle body.

I studied the layout for a while then started removing stuff. I pulled off the top of the air box and tossed the soggy filter and lid in the hatch. So now here I am on the side of the road outside of a small town with an opening on a big resonator chamber ready to suck debris and small animals directly into my precious Z's engine.

Underwear, it turns out, can be a decent makeshift air filter long enough to get you home.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/10/13 4:12 p.m.

Porsche floor board.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
9/10/13 4:43 p.m.

In reply to Woody: I love that!

Friend used a Nickel to keep a Quadrajet running.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
9/10/13 4:46 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: Underwear, it turns out, can be a decent makeshift air filter long enough to get you home.

Complete with racing stripe!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
9/10/13 4:51 p.m.

It won't be seen as very far-out by this crowd...but my neighbor-friend was very impressed one time.

He was replacing the harmonic balancer/pulley on his old Subaru. He told me the engine would spin when he tried to loosen the bolt.

I told him what we had to accomplish and he came back with some p-line/string from his camp gear and a chopstick from the kitchen.

He was very impressed at himself for fixing the car with tools that included a chop stick and string (String fed into cylinder through spark plug hole by pushing with chop stick).

Clem

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
9/10/13 4:54 p.m.

I had to make a beveled spacer for a damper mount on a TransAm (not a Pontiac) car one time at the track.

I used a bolt to chuck up the non-beveled bushing stock in a hand drill. In the other hand, i had an angle grinder. It was interesting, but effective as I held two rotating power tools and made the part in a couple of minutes.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JxVwwsNOML8MakqwP2YBALnHsnTwMOMpwslOTeg4IH4rPc98onS1Jc9EJENbfr3A