1 2
NickD
NickD UberDork
8/1/18 8:09 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:
Tom_Spangler said:
yupididit said:

1UZ has the starter under the intake manifold. People swear by LS400's without doubt lol.

Yeah but Denso Starter > Delco Starter when it comes to longevity. 

Imma let you in on a little secret. They all buy components from various suppliers. Back in the day, Lexus was probably using something Japanese, but by the 2000s, that Caddy is as likely to have a Denso, a Delphi, a Visteon, Bosch, or anything else. And so is the Lexus.

Well, I can understand that, but he said 1UZ. So that would be pre-2000, which was most likely using a Denso unit and Cadillac was probably using a Delco unit. 

I work at a GM dealer. I've seen plenty of Northstars with 150+k miles on them and the original starter. In fact, I have yet to see a Northstar come in for a starter replacement. We've done a few here and there when we've been deeper inot the motor (timing chains or head gaskets or such) just as a preventative measure. But never for outright failure. Because they are nice and dry in the valley, they last longer because they aren't getting pelted with sand and salt and debris and soaked in water.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
8/1/18 8:45 a.m.
NickD said:
Tom_Spangler said:
yupididit said:

1UZ has the starter under the intake manifold. People swear by LS400's without doubt lol.

Yeah but Denso Starter > Delco Starter when it comes to longevity. 

Imma let you in on a little secret. They all buy components from various suppliers. Back in the day, Lexus was probably using something Japanese, but by the 2000s, that Caddy is as likely to have a Denso, a Delphi, a Visteon, Bosch, or anything else. And so is the Lexus.

Well, I can understand that, but he said 1UZ. So that would be pre-2000, which was most likely using a Denso unit and Cadillac was probably using a Delco unit. 

I work at a GM dealer. I've seen plenty of Northstars with 150+k miles on them and the original starter. In fact, I have yet to see a Northstar come in for a starter replacement. We've done a few here and there when we've been deeper inot the motor (timing chains or head gaskets or such) just as a preventative measure. But never for outright failure. Because they are nice and dry in the valley, they last longer because they aren't getting pelted with sand and salt and debris and soaked in water.

I guess I’m going off that I had to replace two starters on late 90’s Northstars that I had to replace starters on back in the early 2000’s at a shop I worked at. Put a foul taste in my mouth, One mostly because the owner of the shop was a dick. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
8/1/18 6:36 p.m.

The valley of a motor is also cooler than right next to the downpipe. I've never done a 'valley starter' in all this time, but i've done other starters you pull the intake for, like a K20/24 honda. People seem to like those...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
21yxkJnABSHiKXhlJxj7hpSSfh5Dcnv9KNrebL7NGG1RzqVHxLHLT7Q2sOLUwjQX