1 2
yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
9/5/23 10:03 a.m.

Wow what a challenge finding one! 

I'm moving jobs and will lose parking lot luxuries and will be street parking a lot. I don't want to street park my 190e or daily it on salted winter roads. And street parking my Expedition, nah! My Maverick order will start being built in October but I'm not sure I still want it or to solve this issue with a $28,000 vehicle. 

So, I've been looking at sub $2000 beaters/fixer upper. What shocks me is how many Honda, Toyota, Chevy, Ford vehicles need a transmission! I'm really not seeing a difference between cars with a $2000 asking price and a $750 asking price.

I've been looking at 4cyl escapes, old 4runners, rx300, mdx, panther platform cars, rav4, crv, and of course accords and camry's and the like. I'm also trying to avoid overly rusty vehicles which is hard here. Gas mileage isnt important because my commute will be cut in half and its 90% highway. Maybe I should look in Atlanta area. I've also been trying to avoid Mercedes lol

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/5/23 10:21 a.m.

you are not alone.  my recent observation is that every CRV under $4k is rusted to death, crashed, has 350k miles on it, or needs a transmission.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise PowerDork
9/5/23 10:28 a.m.

gooooood luck

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
9/5/23 10:47 a.m.

These days, you gotta know someone. They don't exist in the wild anymore. 

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/5/23 10:50 a.m.

Marketplace ones go fast, like superfast

bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta Reader
9/5/23 10:52 a.m.

The cheapest reliable car in any rust belt market is usually a Saturn.  What are 5-speed VUEs going for in your area?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/5/23 10:53 a.m.

You won't find one in the popular models and configurations. 

My recommendation is to look for what no one else is looking for.  The easy answer there is "non-sporty" vehicles with manual transmissions.  So little of the population know how to drive a manual.

Also look at non- sporty 2 door cars.  Anyone with kids avoid them

Non sporty and two door is doubly good.  An example might be a 2 door Cavalier or 2 door Pontiac Gand Am.  I'd say Kia Rio 2 door but that now has the "theft" stigma you'll want to avoid.  

Sort FB vehicles to a price cap and then choose manual trans only.  See what pops up. 

That Saturn Vue manual is a classic example of a non-sporty manual.  Who's really looking for a Cute-ute with a manual?

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
9/5/23 10:54 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

gooooood luck

I'll need more than luck! 

I just dont want to sacrifice my current vehicles to be punching bags.

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
9/5/23 10:59 a.m.

I can be boots on the ground in the East Memphis area. I'll keep my eye out for something down here.

9/5/23 11:06 a.m.
9/5/23 11:07 a.m.
9/5/23 11:08 a.m.
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/5/23 11:15 a.m.

I don't know if you have to pass emissions and/or if VA cares about check engines lights. If they don't, my Saab OG 9-3 is for sale within your budget. Even comes with a second set of wheels and it's pretty good on fuel.

CEL is a suspected minor air leak somewhere on the intake side but I haven't had time to chase it down.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
9/5/23 11:18 a.m.

5-speed scion xb. I bought mine as a joke 5-6 years ago. Now I can't part with it. Its so nice to have a car that you come back to after parking in a tough lot, and don't even check for new dents.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/5/23 11:38 a.m.

Went through this not long ago trying to add a cheapish car to the fleet so my daughter would have a car to drive. Its rough out there, and your friend list is your most likely source of a deal that won't burn you somehow. I ended up grabbing an 03 cooper s vert that was abandoned at my friends shop with some issues that he didn't feel like dealing with.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/5/23 12:03 p.m.

At that price point you can't worry about make or model, just buy whatever you can find in the best condition.

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
9/5/23 12:21 p.m.

In reply to NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) :

Memphis! Last time I was there I had to put my pistol in someone's face! 

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
9/5/23 12:21 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Send me details! 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/5/23 12:22 p.m.

Ten or 15 years ago, the answer was first-gen Neon.  Too bad they're all gone now.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
9/5/23 2:59 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I don't know about sub 2K, but I'm pretty certain I can get you into a Running Driving Prius for under 3K (might not be pretty but it'll be "not too rusty").  Do you have to pass emissions at your new place?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/5/23 5:01 p.m.
yupididit said:

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Send me details! 

PM'd you.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/5/23 5:46 p.m.

They're out there. Just keep looking and something will come up, but if it's what you're looking for, jump on it. I've seen cars I wanted go literally in minutes. 

And.

Today I bought a 2007 Mustang 4.0 5-speed with high miles and some body damage under the Challenge budget and it's going to become my "sure it's ugly, but it's fun to drive" daily (after I fix a few things...)

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
9/5/23 5:54 p.m.

Gen 2 Prius is a good bet always. Friend picked one up with a cracked passenger mirror(wouldn't pass inspection) for $1200 and it was perfect until the cat was stolen. People get leary of them at higher mileage, but if you're not worried about eeking out every last MPG, then who cares?

^^^4.0 Mustang is a generally unloved car. Great idea^^^

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
9/5/23 5:55 p.m.

Its definitely a terrible market in the beater world.  I've been hunting a sub 2k car for a roadtrip and saw much the same as you did, everything under 2k needed a lot of work to be roadworthy.   Interestingly enough I ended up with almost the same solution as I hope you do with BoxheadTim   A 97 SAAB 900SE.   I've had to make a few repairs but only 1 drivability related the rest were just my inability to deal with things being crappy when they are cheap and easy to replace.   Its my first foray into SAAB but so far Im pretty pleased.

May be an image of car

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/5/23 7:13 p.m.

I'm back at the desk and tried out my advice of sort FB to price and manual trans only.  

Nissan Versa w/170k asking $2k  At the time this was the cheapest car sold in America.  I think $15,999.  The decontented, stripped version.  Not the 1.8L and 6 speed abut downgraded to 1.6L and 5 speed.  So bare bones that it doesn't have ABS or Cruise. If it had cruise it would have buttons o the wheel.    Came from the factory w/o a radio.  AC was optional.  I think this one has AC which I think is one of the two push buttons in the HVAC controls (the other for recirculate.)  Bare bones!  Which may not be a bad thing.  Best part: not a Nissan CVT.

These cards have an enormous back seat (but narrow) which could be good seating for the family.  This car could be the dictionary definition of what you are looking for.  

Another Versa the same.  The Versa-versa?

A little more for a Toyota Echo with less miles.

2005 LeSabre w/70k asking $2,500. exceptional at hyw driving in a "issolated from the road feel" sort of way (which can be a good thing also.)
Remember, the sedan is dead and no one is looking for one.  All want SUV. 

The 3800 engine delivers the Omph of a small V8 and the economy of a big 4 cyl.  It will return 23 mpg combined.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
81NbdGfD9ZX8pwVcPqc9cqsspkWo5SoE67WvTi2nsMDk9Jyd0Y4FIQdljXFi6oHa