1 2
rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Dork
9/5/23 7:38 p.m.

I feel your pain. The used car market is more than difficult. Even when you find a good prospect, you have to jump on it immediately if not sooner. I've been looking for over a year and if I'm not the first person that responds to the ad it will be spoken for. I've never had this much trouble in years of buying winter cars. You have quite a bit of good info above but you will need to watch CL and Marketplace as much as possible.. I responded to an ad within minutes after its posting and finally found a car. Good luck!

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
9/5/23 7:59 p.m.

Seems like old Trailblazers and mid 2000s Jeep Cherokees are cheap and plentiful. There's a reason for that but might be viable for a short term beater.

I feel your pain. I've been half-heartedly shopping for an awd family hauler winter beater and decent options are scarce.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
9/5/23 8:48 p.m.

I stopped looking for $2000 vehicles and went for the high end stuff.....$3000. It seems that that extra $1000 produces much better choices that probably could be bartered down. One example...Marketplace - 2003 Pontiac Vibe | Facebook

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/6/23 10:42 a.m.

i see a lot of 2004-ish X3s at around $3k.

probably the most interesting sub-$2000 commuter i found on marketplace this week is an SVT Focus.

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/6/23 2:15 p.m.

Always seems to be the Grand Am, Sebring, or Cavalier for that price

Placemotorsports
9/6/23 2:17 p.m.
DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
9/6/23 2:26 p.m.

In reply to Placemotorsports :

If I wanted a DD beater sort of car, I'd search for things like "Pontiac", Oldsmobile", "Mercury", "Prizm". All dead brands, but the same cars as the more popular stuff.

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
9/6/23 3:03 p.m.
Placemotorsports said:

2006 Cadillac for sale by owner - Centreville, VA - craigslist

Oh shoot that would be really nice! I'm hitting them up right now. 

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
9/6/23 3:06 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

i see a lot of 2004-ish X3s at around $3k.

probably the most interesting sub-$2000 commuter i found on marketplace this week is an SVT Focus.

I've been finding a lot of x3 and x5 in that range too. I have always avoided BMW's but I'll admit I'm a little curious. 

Something big and comfy would be really nice vs a spartan Versa or Chevy Cav. I know I can get a Benz to fill that role in my budget and be confident in my knowledge of them but they tend to be treated very poorly vs other cheap cars.  I'm still looking at everything. Tim's Saab is very tempting as well. 

yupididit said:

I've been finding a lot of x3 and x5 in that range too. I have always avoided BMW's but I'll admit I'm a little curious. 

i wouldn't hesitate to buy a cheap-ish N52-powered BMW. I'm not sure when that engine was introduced in the X cars. their issues are well documented and easily DIY addressed. Change the ATF and filter and they're quite durable.

Placemotorsports
9/6/23 4:01 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Post how it goes!

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/6/23 4:38 p.m.
John Welsh said:

2005 LeSabre w/70k asking $2,500. exceptional at hyw driving in a "issolated from the road feel" sort of way (which can be a good thing also.)
Remember, the sedan is dead and no one is looking for one.  All want SUV. 

The 3800 engine delivers the Omph of a small V8 and the economy of a big 4 cyl.  It will return 23 mpg combined.  

I also lean Buick.  They are cheap since mostly only old people want them and they usually have enough scratch to buy new.  They are reliable.  And the 3800 pushrod V6 is one of the great engine designs of the 20th century.  Don't believe me?  Ask Peter Egan.  He raved about it. 

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/5175-road-track-jan-2002-peter-egan-editorial/

yupididit
yupididit UltimaDork
9/6/23 9:30 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

Buicks never last. They're always gone by the time I inquire. 

myusdmcavalier
myusdmcavalier New Reader
9/7/23 11:53 a.m.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/5e53b538-690b-36ac-86d1-94dedc7355a4?q=chevy+cavalier&cid=5.1

ive got a sedan just like this one, this is the one with the ecotec dohc motor. they arent fast but they're fun and cheap as well as being practical.

MrStickShift
MrStickShift Reader
9/7/23 12:08 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I know I'm a lot farther north than you, but I'd be willing to sell my 96 Buick roadmaster wagon that has some starting issues, but I got it running previously, just not running at the moment. I'd say $1900.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1Mpc0TNpfsTRhT3uk7WE29PMLvAiPwdgk34DrSMo2FNIfwFVA7PfpAzfkr1AS5bm