1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/14 12:37 p.m.

Wow the side view of the nose really isn't nice...it's just a few "sag lines" away from looking like Chris Bangle designed a Focus. But we know the domed hood is for pedestrian impact safety.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
1/14/14 10:57 a.m.

Just watched it on Subaru's website. Looks decent, though the spoiler seems off. I think the rest of the car got less "hooligan-ish" looking, but the spoiler didn't.

They also announced Travis Pastrana is returning to Subaru's rally team in 2014. That'll be neat.

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
1/14/14 11:06 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

That wheel design is so played out at this point......but its still better than the TE37 knockoffs every brotato will have on these.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
1/14/14 11:24 a.m.

they should have an adjustable spoiler of some kind and otherwise make it look less crazy. It's kind of silly to have a spoiler that ridiculous that's static IMO

Jerry
Jerry Dork
1/14/14 12:22 p.m.

Hmmm... do I want the "launch edition"?

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
1/14/14 12:25 p.m.

In reply to Jerry:

I'd recommend waiting to ensure all of the cylinders work this time around.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
1/14/14 12:26 p.m.

these just seem so tame compared to 10 years ago. Power spec is basically the same, but where the original was a tin can with all attention on go go go... the new one looks like a comfy mid sizer.

Heck the new 200 has 295hp. This has 305hp. With the added weight/luxury/bloat this would need like 400+ to have equivalent balls out crazy factor.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
1/14/14 12:44 p.m.

There does seem to be a lot of hate from the Subaru fanboys, and I understand some of it. Less torque, more weight. I think it does look more "grown up" than the old models, and that seems to be a turn off, too, but I like it, except for the wing.

I wonder if the lack of meaningful competition is making Subaru rest on their laurels. Outside of the EVO, and maybe the Golf R, there doesn't seem to be any competition. Mitsubishi seems to be sliding into irrelevance, and VWs bring their own set of problems.

Edit: Maybe they're setting up another 2008-2009 transition, and the really cool one will come out a year from now...

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/14/14 1:27 p.m.
xflowgolf wrote: these just seem so tame compared to 10 years ago. Power spec is basically the same, but where the original was a tin can with all attention on go go go... the new one looks like a comfy mid sizer. Heck the new 200 has 295hp. This has 305hp. With the added weight/luxury/bloat this would need like 400+ to have equivalent balls out crazy factor.

You could just as easily be comparing an '04 model to the previous generation. The '04 was larger than a contemporarily recent Legacy.

Thus why a GC 2.5RS is big giant heaps of fun to drive. It's "only" 165hp but it has nowhere near the pork to have to move around. And the factory made that car with twice the power...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
1/14/14 2:52 p.m.
eastsidemav wrote: They also announced Travis Pastrana is returning to Subaru's rally team in 2014. That'll be neat.

But he's missing Sno*Drift next week, doesn't not appear until 100 acre wood

DaveEstey
DaveEstey UltraDork
1/15/14 11:23 a.m.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
1/15/14 12:58 p.m.

In reply to DaveEstey:

So they share similar overhangs, dash to axle and faintly similar rear glass to trunk profile. The DLO is very different. I don't consider them similar at all.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/15/14 1:02 p.m.

They're both shapeless blobs (welcome to 1994) but the cut lines of the Subaru are much different.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zexqpYn4CAuScikcB8xB3WwfNLknTFwffbYRb85pG4sAxlVwobSoAUaBzEbfIizw