1 2
Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/29/24 10:32 p.m.

Yes, where did you spray the ether? I learned recently that it takes at least 20 seconds of cranking to pull ether from the maf through the supercharger and intercooler and throttle body and into the combustion chamber of a jaguar.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/30/24 5:52 a.m.

Tank wasnt out. Ive actually not touched anything in the fuel system at all on this car yet. 

I hear the fuel pump prime.

Theres no schrader valve to test pressure, so not really sure how to go about that. 

I sprayed ether at the maf tube, and maybe didn't spray enough or crank enough for it to go through the tirbo and intercooler and such. 

I spent a bit of time researching immobilizer stuff. Supposedly the baja doesn't have one from the factory. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/30/24 8:36 a.m.

So I just read through this thread as the symptoms seemed similar to yours with an almost identical drivetrain - https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/cranks-but-wont-start-no-spark-scratch-that-no-fuel-updated.784457/

I'll cut to the chase though, his problem was a timing belt with the teeth stripped off at the crank so only the crank was spinning when cranking the engine so not your issue. What is interesting was he was getting spark with just a crank signal and no cam signals. He was getting codes for no cam signals (P0345 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 2) and P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 or Single sensor)). Have you plugged in an OBD II reader yet even if the CEL is not on?

He also went through the process of some simple checks for fuel pressure removing the return line to see if any fuel came out there and popping the high pressure line off at the rail after cycling the key to see if the system had built pressure (this will be messy if there is pressure so no ignition sources and safety squints which you already know but you never know who will read this in the future).

adam525i
1/30/24 8:46 a.m.

Just dug through some old bookmarks and here is the factory service manual for your car (there are a lot of other manuals and interesting stuff if you go back in the parent directories too).

https://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru/Baja/2006/USDM%20Legacy%20FSM%202006%20(BT%20Baja%20only)/

Reading another thread with similar issues in an 04 WRX, he had a break in the power wire to the injectors. The injectors should eb supplied with a steady +12V from the main relay whenever it is pulled in (so probably as soon as the key is in the run position) to one pin and the other gets grounded through the ECU to open the injector. It should be pretty easy for you to verify that power is present with a multi meter.

fouckhest
fouckhest Reader
1/30/24 8:58 a.m.
adam525i said:

Reading another thread with similar issues in an 04 WRX, he had a break in the power wire to the injectors. 

I actually had a very simlar issue one time when I had my r32 (VW) engine apart/head off....put it back together, had everything, but no spark, ended up breaking a ground wire in the harness while it was "tucked out of the way"

Maybe check all your connections in the injector harness(es) 

Dusterbd13-michael
1/31/24 7:15 a.m.

Injectors have 12v to them. 

I pulled the intercooler for direct throttle body access and diagnostic access, and spayed ether directly in. Car runs beautifully. Until the ether runs out.

Per fsm, no immobilizer from factory. 

It did set codes for maf and iat being unplugged 

Dusterbd13-michael
1/31/24 7:23 a.m.

fired right the berkeley up!!!!

Need to fix it properly, but this pin pulled out.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
1/31/24 7:28 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I believe that's the Hair-Puller option that all manufacturers provide free of cost.

Glad you found it, but what pin is it? What's the plug?

Dusterbd13-michael
1/31/24 7:35 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

berkeleyed if I know! Black with a blue Tracer and a brown plug in between the battery and the washer fluid reservoir.

porschenut
porschenut Dork
1/31/24 7:42 a.m.

Something to do with fuel.  Good job!

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/31/24 7:58 a.m.

Yay!

golfduke
golfduke Dork
1/31/24 8:29 a.m.

I love *mostly* happy endings that don't need the Parts Cannon^tm.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/31/24 8:51 a.m.

I bet that's the injector ground if you measured 12V to the injectors but they weren't firing. Congrats!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/31/24 9:05 a.m.
porschenut said:

Something to do with fuel

i LOL'd

adam525i
1/31/24 9:13 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

I bet that's the injector ground if you measured 12V to the injectors but they weren't firing. Congrats!

Just dug through the wiring diagrams, looks like you're right. That is likely the common ECU ground for the injectors, basically when the ECU fires an injector it is closing the ground circuit on the injector to this wire which is connected to engine ground to complete the circuit. 

Page 109 in the wiring diagram, connector E3, Pin 16, wire is a BL (Black, Blue).

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/31/24 9:19 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Dang, that is guaranteed to frustrate. 

If the pin pulled out, I'd check to make sure the connector isn't cracked. 

Dusterbd13-michael
1/31/24 9:48 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

Good call 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YNNpA3XNbrOixOqpeMXKgityrEWztdz5YtYdTWpHjGkC9xXmDwZWenOMw5HPsuzc