1 ... 3 4 5 6
lastsnare
lastsnare Reader
3/22/13 1:17 p.m.

In my experience, there are all kinds of people that drive all kinds of cars.

Stereotypes are just a way of trying to classify and simplify groups of people, rather than treating every person as a separate individual without profiling and without preconceptions.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
3/22/13 3:45 p.m.

Interesting with respect to the quality issues of Subarus. Always liked them, never had one, SWMBO has one now, a 2003 Outback LL Bean wagon. The interior is certainly not cheap or chintzy, its leather, wooden steering wheel, power everything, dual sunroofs, great climate control, and the 4WD is incredible in deep snow.

That having been said...at 150K things are starting to break. The fan belt snapped because the fixed roller broke, then the fan belt broke because the tension roller bearings seized and melted, then two tires simultaneously blew on the same side at the same time (wasn't there, don't ask, can't blame design engineers for that one) and now it leaks oil ever so slightly, there is a check engine light on permanently and there is an emissions problem related to gas re-circulation that prevents the tank from being filled easily-the air can not vent out, so the pump automatically shuts off thinking the tank is full, which is likely related to the check engine light, although I pulled the codes and they don't make much sense to me. Its too snowy to be messing with it right now anyway.

It does however, start reliably, is a great driver over distance, very comfortable, and I enjoy the way it handles. Not much road noise, but it does need an alignment after the new tires.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
3/22/13 3:52 p.m.

It's usually the purge valve, easy to get at just in front of the charcoal canister. Disconnect the hose, and fill up. If the pump doesn't click off, you've found your culprit. $75 part if I remember correctly.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
3/22/13 4:13 p.m.
lastsnare wrote: In my experience, there are all kinds of people that drive all kinds of cars. Stereotypes are just a way of trying to classify and simplify groups of people, rather than treating every person as a separate individual without profiling and without preconceptions.

I don't fit the typical profile of a WRX Owner - 46 yr old, balding white guy with a 02 WRX with a full 3" turbo back (and it is loud).

All kinds of guys get pulled over up here for loud exhaust. I have never been even looked at funny by the police. It helps to not "fit the profile". But then I also make sure that I short shift it around a cruiser and I don't rev the crap out of it when in town.

J308
J308 Reader
3/22/13 5:20 p.m.
Anti-stance wrote:
J308 wrote: Crapping your pants > Vortex > H-T.
I concur.

Doctor? Doctor. Doctor. Doctor!

lastsnare wrote: In my experience, there are all kinds of people that drive all kinds of cars. Stereotypes are just a way of trying to classify and simplify groups of people, rather than treating every person as a separate individual without profiling and without preconceptions.

Dude don't get pulled because your interior smells like weed.

To all others complaining about forums, the only thing older than internet bench racing and stupidity is real-life bench racing and stupidity.

How long before Google Glass™ automatically uploads kill videos to forums? Can't stand in the way of progress!

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/22/13 5:23 p.m.

Isn't that a bit er, mature of a sentiment? C'mon, we're car guys here. Don't suck the fun out of it with nuance and forethought!

""

kanaric
kanaric New Reader
3/23/13 1:47 a.m.

A year ago I bought a new WRX, coming from a 350z, and when I had that Z all the time people would come up next to me and challenge me to "race". It was extremely annoying because I am 30 and don't do that kind of thing. I thought it was going to be as bad or worse with the WRX as an unfortunate side effect but I bought a base model sedan and it's not happened since. IDK why but this is funny to me but I think that kind of person doesn't really gravitate to subaru ownership and you can TELL who owns one, it's always a broken down piece of E36 M3 as these cars hold their value.

I don't see a single "stanced" Subaru or whatever hellaflush is called now in Las Vegas. Every subaru wrx or sti is either stock or lightly modded. Half of every 350Z I see however is and I think that's telling of how those kind of people perceive these cars. I think STIs and EVOs and cars related to them really do not appeal to them as those people are also into drifting in all likelihood. To them it would be like doing that to a Volvo.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/23/13 6:00 p.m.

This thread just needed a pic.

photo Rallycross1.jpg

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/23/13 7:49 p.m.

It slices, it dices...

It juliennes!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/23/13 7:51 p.m.
fanfoy wrote: Don't get things confused. Subaru's are bad for a Japanese make.

I see you're forgetting Mitsubishi, Isuzu, and Nissan.

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
3/23/13 10:29 p.m.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
3/23/13 10:33 p.m.
thestig99 wrote:

It would be no fun to drive the thing but my God it looks great like that.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/13 11:27 p.m.

you really think that looks great?

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
3/23/13 11:29 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

Yes, Yes I do.

( I am about halfway into a bottle of Bacardi at the moment though )

I'd park it in my living room and just look at it.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/24/13 1:27 a.m.

Contributing pictures. I do love my Forester.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
3/24/13 8:10 a.m.

Add me to the list of fat, white, balding, over 40 guys that own a Subaru. Yesterday, I traded my MINI for a WRX.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/24/13 8:34 a.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote: Add me to the list of fat, white, balding, over 40 guys that own a Subaru. Yesterday, I traded my MINI for a WRX.

Went and did it, eh? What year? (And out of curiosity, what did they give you for the MINI?)

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
3/24/13 11:19 a.m.

In reply to SlickDizzy:

Yup. 2004. $7200

modernbeat
modernbeat Dork
3/24/13 12:30 p.m.
ValuePack wrote: <Subaru fanboi... and the best Subaru boards are rs25.com and ultimatesubaru.org. NASIOC can burn.

Really, I've been drummed off RE2.5 twice for not respecting the JDM-ness of everything Subaru. More posers there than anywhere outside of Nasioc.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/24/13 1:55 p.m.

Some good tech on RS25 but there is a general sense there that 80's and 90's Subarus are much rarer and more valuable than they really are.

Nasioc is just mass chaos. I rarely go outside of TXIC classifieds and built motor anymore.

nicksta43
nicksta43 Dork
3/24/13 2:41 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: you really think that looks great?

And now that I'm sober I still think it looks good

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
3/24/13 3:38 p.m.
nicksta43 wrote: I'd park it in my living room and just look at it.

And that's about all it will be good for too.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/24/13 6:07 p.m.

if it was at a driveable ride height.. I would like it. That would mean at least being able to see sidewall between the rim and the fender at the top. Slammed on the ground like that.. it just becomes useless sculpture

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
3/24/13 6:12 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: if it was at a driveable ride height.. I would like it. That would mean at least being able to see sidewall between the rim and the fender at the top. Slammed on the ground like that.. it just becomes useless sculpture

Sculpture isn't useless, being pretty on display is a use, reference the OMG thread.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt SuperDork
3/25/13 8:46 a.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: I will agree with this one as well. When I had my '86 Crown Vic Coupe, I told the other Box guys that I wanted to drop a 32-valve Lincoln 4.6L in and bag it, they acted like I was preparing to murder somebody. If it wasn't a modified 302 and suspension off a police interceptor, they didn't want to hear it.

Very strange as that sounds like a seriously awesome build to me. Then again, I've sometimes daydreamed about setting up a box era Crown Vic with a 5.0 Coyote motor and making it look as much like the "Men in Black" car as possible.

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iEUmuuHihmaFVNtnDZiOeX6DqRKv2aLe7990pL0yVSSC1dyNAiEpfAaBbfyqPt0D