patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/16/15 2:20 p.m.

anybody have experience with summit's acrylic urethane? planning to paint the chevelle this summer and they have some good colors, good prices, and the guys at the local auto paint supply shop are morons and have messed up several times for me. it has great reviews, and the dark candy apple red with white SS stripes would be pretty darn nice. since i need to paint the challenge car anyway, i plan to build a temporary paint booth in the garage out of plastic across the trusses and hanging from them, similar to what we did years ago to paint my camaro in my dad's barn and keep the bugs out. we used a furnace fan outside the booth to suck the fumes out through a couple stacked filters, and put filters on the inlet as well. got a good bug and dust free finish. i plan to get max use out of the booth before tear down so i can shoot my impala's hood and bumper, and possibly my truck. if i could paint 3 vehicles and some parts while i have it set up i'd be extremely happy.

can i use their acrylic urethane clear over the single stage paint?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
5/16/15 3:24 p.m.

Wear a good respirator.

patgizz
5/16/15 9:14 p.m.

have one, have painted cars before and do lots of spraying for work. last car i painted i used the dupli-color paint shop stuff as it came out to about $150 in materials to paint an $1800 car. that stuff is trash and not worthy of using to start a fire let alone paint a car with.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
5/16/15 11:00 p.m.

I have used it indirectly as their paint is made by Kirker. I liked the paint, easy to use and turned out pretty good. You can use their clear over the single stage paint. I got mine from autobodytoolmart.com, check the prices vs Summit, I believe they are pretty close to the same.

patgizz
5/17/15 8:22 a.m.

thanks for the link, just ordered some color chips. looks like the gallon of clear is $7 cheaper from them, didn't check the paint yet.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/17/15 9:43 a.m.

I've looked at it as a potential paint for Ugly, too. I'm currently leaning toward getting paint from The Coating Store. I have one of their paint chip sheets, as well as one from Eastwood. I see those 3 as the main sources of reasonably-priced DIY paint.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mY265au5LoxGcbvupuuy7dikxbrlvqEpFOUTJWx0F4mP0WuqVDJGkKqPjJ7nXNb9